Talk me into or out of buying a suppressor, please.

ATF has files on everyone via the NSA there's no such thing as being off the radar. If you have a cell phone they know everything. May as well have better weaponry. Trust me they know All those guys who do private face to face stuff thinking they don't know anything about you are living in a dream world.
I know a missionary in the jungles of Mexico. He ministers to the indigenous people there. He got a call from the Secret Service years ago because the president then heard of his work and wanted to meet him. The agent said the man's name and told him he was with the Secret Service and the missionary hung up on him thinking it was a prank. The phone immediately rang, and the agent said do not hang up, this is the Secret Service. The missionary asked him how he got his number, the agent said sir this is the Secret Service. Technology is fantastic, but it does work the other way too.

like everyone basically said, it's the best thing ever, any chance I can shoot suppressed, I will. I started out thinking I'd be really happy with my silencerco hybrid 46 thinking it would be a good overall can for multi calibers, which it is, but if I were to do it again. I would buy caliber specific suppressors.

Not sure which part is bull unless you're referring to the number of examiners...in which case I counted 60 signatures. I never claimed a number, simply the number 8 years ago and that the number has gone up and down since then...which it has.
I dont know the context of the signatures list...but that would make sense. Is that ALL PEOPLE that have contributed since the site went active or is that unique signatures each year?
My information stands to reason, since the graphic at the bottom of your post suggests that not a single examiner is able to approve more than 2 applications per day. EVER.

1 person approved 426 forms in a 260 day work year.
Not impressed.

View attachment 525105
I said bull to the part where you assumed numbers to get "That breaks down to each examiner processing 171 per day. Every day."

The bar graph of approvals you posted above is closer to 1 per day.

I said bull to the part where you assumed numbers to get "That breaks down to each examiner processing 171 per day. Every day."

The bar graph of approvals you posted above is closer to 1 per day.
Yep...I didn't explain that assumption very well.

What that means is that in order to maintain zero backlog...they would NEED to approve 171 per day to maintain daily approvals. Which we obviously know is not the case.
As you pointed out in the more recent post...it's actually closer to each examiner approving about 1 per day...hence the backlog of roughly 230 days.

You will probably love it! I have the Banish 30 and the Banish 22. The 30 has worked well on some rifles and not so well on others. In not so well, I mean it changed my groups on one rifle from 1/2" MOA at 100 to about 2.5 MOA so I couldn't use it on that particular rifle with the load I had worked up. The other two rifles I tried it on worked wonderful and even gained a little speed. They definitely do cut down on the noise considerably from a muzzle break but you still need to wear hearing protection in most cases.

The main thing I don't like is the length it adds to your rifle barrel. If you have short barreled rifles they are great. If you are putting them on one of your older hunting rifles with a 24 or 26 inch barrel they stick up so far above your head while on your shoulder that the clouds part when you are walking on the ridges looking for deer and elk. :) Obviously a little exaggeration but you get the drift.

The point is to each his own, you will be the only one that can decide if Cans are for you. There are lots of up sides but there are some downsides as well. They're just not for me. Good luck with your decision.
Are they easy to mount and dismount when needed? If not you may need to buy one or two new gun cases to accommodate the extra length.

Yep...I didn't explain that assumption very well.

What that means is that in order to maintain zero backlog...they would NEED to approve 171 per day to maintain daily approvals. Which we obviously know is not the case.
As you pointed out in the more recent post...it's actually closer to each examiner approving about 1 per day...hence the backlog of roughly 230 days.
One thing I wish they would do that would speed things up is to note all pending for the same person and if they match push them through as a unit.

For example, if someone has 3 form 4's submitted for the same entity over a 3 month period but all before the first one is approved it would make more sense to me to flag them all and say that even though this one was submitted 3 months later we are including it in the same review as there is nothing different than the date submitted.

I can see an argument against this if there was nothing else pending, but if there was already an item pending I'm not sure what this would change except backlog times and redundant work.

One thing I wish they would do that would speed things up is to note all pending for the same person and if they match push them through as a unit.

For example, if someone has 3 form 4's submitted for the same entity over a 3 month period but all before the first one is approved it would make more sense to me to flag them all and say that even though this one was submitted 3 months later we are including it in the same review as there is nothing different than the date submitted.

I can see an argument against this if there was nothing else pending, but if there was already an item pending I'm not sure what this would change except backlog times and redundant work.
It should be as quick as a 4473 NICS check...the fact that it's not is disingenuous at best and more likely downright criminal.

I'm 20 in on supressors. Been buying 1-2 a year for a long time now. Benefits, obviously sound, but just as important is recoil reduction and I've gotten a boost in velocity and increased accuracy with all my stuff. I just can't seem to get enough, they keep making better (lighter, quieter) cans every year. Part of the reason I have multiple cans is I've got 2 boys and their rifles are suppressed with my cans, when their buddies shoot/hunt with us their (my guns) guns are also suppressed.

At one time atf operated this way, but it didn't last. I had 3 cans approved at one time that were submitted over a 6mo period.

I'm 20 in on supressors. Been buying 1-2 a year for a long time now. Benefits, obviously sound, but just as important is recoil reduction and I've gotten a boost in velocity and increased accuracy with all my stuff. I just can't seem to get enough, they keep making better (lighter, quieter) cans every year. Part of the reason I have multiple cans is I've got 2 boys and their rifles are suppressed with my cans, when their buddies shoot/hunt with us their (my guns) guns are also suppressed.
I think I'm up to about 13 but like you said...every year they keep getting smaller, and lighter. I've got a couple more pistol cans on my "want" list and I keep thinking a 3d printed, flow through, Ti can is in my future. Materials and additive manufacturing are really opening the industry up to new things.

Throwing in my 0.02

You absolutely should buy a suppressor (buy a lot of them), but after an initial look at the Banish 30, that would not be the one I recommend for 2 primary reasons:
1) Weight: its really heavy, almost 2x the weight of other titanium cans in it's long configuration (~14oz), more on that in a second
2) Price: at basically $1000 its pretty expensive for what you get (direct thread only), the BOGO isnt a deal when there's better cans out there that are cheap enough you could probably just buy a rimfire can separately for the same total $ spent

And just generally, "User Serviceable"/"Modular" centerfire rifle cans are a gimmick. They are heavy (because the baffle stack isnt welded so the tube has to be thicker/reinforced at the end so the threads dont blow out) and they are loud because that thick outer tube/independent baffle stack eats up internal volume for the same form factor, that's why these are all 9" long (which just makes the weight worse). You dont need to be able to take a centerfire rifle can apart if it gets dirty, just do what Thunderbeast recommends and plug the end cap, fill it full of CLR and let it soak overnight (repeat if needed) you'll be good as new.

If you want something to run on several hosts, you would be way better off buying a quality 7" 30cal rifle can that has a tapered QD attachment/mount system on it, or at least something with the industry standard "Bravo" thread pattern (originally on the Silencerco Omega) so that you can source a good QD mount. Again, there's enough really good options in this space, most of which will be cheaper than the Banish and all probably a lot better performance (Thunderbeast, Q, Rugged, SASS, Silencerco... etc etc etc)

^^^^ agree with above but don't care for my Q can at all. Look at Scythe-Ti, Enticer S Ti, and TBAC ultra 7 among others.

Throwing in my 0.02

You absolutely should buy a suppressor (buy a lot of them), but after an initial look at the Banish 30, that would not be the one I recommend for 2 primary reasons:
1) Weight: its really heavy, almost 2x the weight of other titanium cans in it's long configuration (~14oz), more on that in a second
2) Price: at basically $1000 its pretty expensive for what you get (direct thread only), the BOGO isnt a deal when there's better cans out there that are cheap enough you could probably just buy a rimfire can separately for the same total $ spent

And just generally, "User Serviceable"/"Modular" centerfire rifle cans are a gimmick. They are heavy (because the baffle stack isnt welded so the tube has to be thicker/reinforced at the end so the threads dont blow out) and they are loud because that thick outer tube/independent baffle stack eats up internal volume for the same form factor, that's why these are all 9" long (which just makes the weight worse). You dont need to be able to take a centerfire rifle can apart if it gets dirty, just do what Thunderbeast recommends and plug the end cap, fill it full of CLR and let it soak overnight (repeat if needed) you'll be good as new.

If you want something to run on several hosts, you would be way better off buying a quality 7" 30cal rifle can that has a tapered QD attachment/mount system on it, or at least something with the industry standard "Bravo" thread pattern (originally on the Silencerco Omega) so that you can source a good QD mount. Again, there's enough really good options in this space, most of which will be cheaper than the Banish and all probably a lot better performance (Thunderbeast, Q, Rugged, SASS, Silencerco... etc etc etc)
I shoot side by side with a friend with the Thunderbeast and yes, it is a good suppressor, but no quieter than my Bannish 30's. I have three of them, and if I buy more threaded rifles, I will buy more lol. Yes, they are long, yes a 7" would be better, but I have never heard a 7" Thunderbeast so, I am not sure about them. I've heard good things about them, but I have heard the 9" of both and they are both excellent. I shoot my rifles with no hearing protection, not sure that's wise, but they just don't seem loud now lol.