New Varmint Build

Look at a 22 Creedmoor. I am having one built by Horizon Firearms. Below is a link that shows a comparison between it and the 220 Swift

https://customrifles.com/22-creedmoor-not-grandads-22/

That is a lame comparison... 50/55gr factory load against a 75/80 hand loads.

Jeeze, that's comparing apples and grapes. Compare the .220 Swift with the 22 Creedmoor, both will equal barrel twists, and equal bullets, and the creed is not worth the increased cost.

This thread is like a Ford vs Chevy, it shows just how much opinions vary. I've owned many swifts and love them. The old cartridge looks like a stretched out 30-30 but it does a great job. I own multiple 22 calibers varmint rigs on a variety of calibers and still find the swift can hang with just about any of them.

I recently bought a custom 98 large ring mauser with a 26" Hart Heavy Varmint barrel in a 220 Swift. The best I can measure, it shows a 1-14 twist. It came from an estate sale, and appears to have never been shot. And that's what the owner claimed. What's the heaviest varmint bullet that I can shoot that will stay stable? I'd like to use this Swift for an extra rifle for prairie dogging in SD, but hate the wind where we go. I just always wanted a Swift. Thinking 55-60gr pills? Data? Anyone?
I already have a 22 Creedmoor with 26" Bartlein w/1-8 twist for the heavies.

I recently bought a custom 98 large ring mauser with a 26" Hart Heavy Varmint barrel in a 220 Swift. The best I can measure, it shows a 1-14 twist. It came from an estate sale, and appears to have never been shot. And that's what the owner claimed. What's the heaviest varmint bullet that I can shoot that will stay stable? I'd like to use this Swift for an extra rifle for prairie dogging in SD, but hate the wind where we go. I just always wanted a Swift. Thinking 55-60gr pills? Data? Anyone?

It is not weight that you need - it is BC and speed. The best bullets you can use are the 53 VMax, and the Nosler 53 Tipped Varmageddon.

I have a 223AI with a 14 twist. Shoots 55 gr Sierra blitz kings at prairie dogs at 3600 fps. Crazy accurate and blows pds up! I think you'd be very happy with those in the Swift.

Yes Hornady 53 V-max AA 2700 fed 205's in Norma brass are very accurate and deadly in my Win Heavy Varmint 26" 14 twist

The Swift has been around for a long time. And newer powders have popped up over the years as well. What is a good powder for a 55gr pill these days. I'm somewhat new to reloading. Thanks

What's the heaviest varmint bullet that I can shoot that will stay stable? I'd like to use this Swift for an extra rifle for prairie dogging in SD, but hate the wind where we go. I just always wanted a Swift. Thinking 55-60gr pills? Data? Anyone?

As someone who spends a good bit of time shooting p-dogs in the prairie wind each year, I suggest you ask what the lightest bullet you can shoot is.

The problem with the wind is not what it does to the bullet -- learning the hold-overs (meaning "over to the left/right") at 300 or 400 yards for a 25 mph cross-wind is fun and educational -- it is what the wind does to you and your table. I use the vehicle as a barrier as best I can but still end up shooting in the lulls on very windy days. No biggie, I don't need to shoot the barrel out of rifle to have fun on the prairie any more anyway. It is a rare day that does not have plenty of lulls.

My go-to p-dog round is the 32-gr V-Max in 20-cal, but when I shoot 22-cal I use 35-gr V-Max. I want maximum velocity with minimum scope-jump, and the 55's just don't cut it. The 30-somethings get there faster, turn the rats inside out at 300 yards, allow me to watch the action better and are easier on the barrel.

You got a great setup for p-dogs, now shoot the bullets that are perfect for it, and save the 55's for coyotes or something.

Last edited:
Ky windage has some good advise! Having been there, PD towns, I can verify he's telling the truth about winds! The good news, if you can call it good, is the winds generally are constant. And I do mean winds, not breezes! I have at least 4 rifles out there and his point about low recoil and being able to see impacts is a lot more fun than shooting heavy bullets and getting enough recoil to miss the impacts. Light bullets are a much better way to go. Long, long shots you could recover and see impacts, but not close in. With a Swift and light bullets going super fast ? That's the ticket! (But have several rifles so you don't over heat them.):rolleyes::cool:

Gents,

I'm wanting to build a new varmint gun mostly for prairie dogs, a yote or 2 and shooting steel. I've always wanted a .220 swift that that's what I'm thinking (I already have a 22-250 so drop it). I want something very flat and fast so I'm thinking 1-14" or 1-12" twist to shoot little bullets fast. I'm not planning on using turrets, just hold over. Most of the varmint shooting I do is 400 yds or closer. I'm a lefty so I'm looking for suggestions on an action (I want a SS remington 700 but can't find a left hand). Also any reason I would need a different chambering or a long aciton?

Thanks,
Get a 9" fast twist bbl 220 Swift and shoot 70gr + bullets.

You said you hold over for distance. I had a 223AI out in S.D. shooting 55s at 3600fps. Walked em in to 862 yards on a prairie dog. If you are set on a 220 Swift, and its a great ole round, I would go with a twist for the 50s. Fast means flat and less hold over. But, if what you really want is a flat shooter, go with something with a lot less recoil and still get speed. The 20 Tac, 223A.I., 20 PPC, will all deliver accuracy, speed and flat shooting and won't wear out a barrel nearly as fast as a Swift or 22/250.

BARREL LIFE IS IMPORTANT for this type of hunting.
Barrel life is relative in any higher velocity varmint cartridge. Come on guy's that's what makes varmint rifle's fun! Quality new match barrel's are available for $300. This hardly breaks the bank when nobody considers that to be much for a scope. Enjoy what you like and don't let a factor like barrel life influence what you build. 220 swifts are just another good varmint round and there's plenty of other's available as well. OP is dreaming about a 22-284 and yet barrel life is an issue :)
Curious, why are you going 243 Ack Imp instead of 6-284?? The 6-284 offers a little more performance but with zero fireforming.
Fireforming does get old and poster offer's a great alternative. Ackley's idea's sprang from a time when there was less available to neck down and improve.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts