New Varmint Rifle/Scope Question

Bniceley

Working on buying a Weatherby Vanguard 22/250 S2 for Fox/Coyote and occasionally for G/Hogs.
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 that I believe is a Rimfire (BDC) scope that is currently mounted on a S&W MP-15/22 Sport.
Relying on the recoil of the 22/250 to be minimal, would I be able to adjust and Re-calculate BDC points if I mount this scope on the 22/250?

I have a Mueller APV scope that is rated for Rimfire that I use on my 270 that works fine.
I checked with the Mueller Rep. before purchasing and they said they recommend their rimfire scopes on anything less then large Magnums (300/7MM, etc.)

Appreciate any insight

Sure you can--it's just a subtension system--obviously not even yardages but it'll work--takes some calcing but done it many times over the years myself. Need to find out what the subtensions are for that scope and match it to a trued ballistics program.

Interestingly just looked at those subtensions and several of the circles are very close to the Burris Ball. Plex.

Nikon's Spot-On ballistics program may do it all for you, if you already have it.

Last edited:
I see fox/ coyote & groundhogs mentioned, don't see any area or type of hunting.

I think you could get much more out of the 22-250 with a scope like a VX-II 6-18 Leupold. I've never been real big on a busy reticle for hunting. Most of the time one can hold on fur at normal ranges. Often under field conditions, time spent contemplating a shot is limited.

A higher power, quality scope would serve you better than the low end Nikon BDC 'reset' to 22-250 ballistics. I also realize, the budget has to be accounted for.

I hunted many years for chucks with an old redfield all american 3-9 with a one minute dot. Was a time when money for a higher level scope was out of the question. Chucks didn't know of my handicap and fell in scores to the old 22-250. Now I consider 4-16 to be about perfect and can see them in better detail especially at the longer ranges. Different times in our hunting and shooting careers we use differing levels of equipment but the enjoyment and success seems to come irregardless :) I think your scope will do fine. Welcome to the forum and Good Shooting

Here's an exercise, try shooting a small paper target at 100 yards with a standard 3-9 scope. Next, try the same with a high quality, higher magnification scope. It's not a fair fight, one over the other.

Of course with the average 50 yard shot on game, doesn't matter. With that higher power scope you'll want a steady rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.