New Varmint Build

I have had a 220 swift sence 1976. it is my favorite varmint rifle. I have a 22-250 and I like it too. Not much difference in them but I just like the Swift because it is a swift, I guess. It will out shoot my 22-250 but not by much. They are tit of tat. They both have the 1 n 14 twist. I shoot 50V max in the 22-250 and 55s in the Swift. If I would rebarrel the swift I would get a faster twist for the heaver bullets. If you want a Swift go for it, help keep the old cartridge alive.

There is a lot of great information here, I appreciate everyone's opinion. I really want a swift because well its a swift and I've always wanted one. But after reading this forum it made me realize that, "I need" one of each caliber. Soo I had better get a .20 cal or a 6mm. I'm leaning toward the .20 cal because I already have a 25-06. Thanks for all the help, keep the comments coming.

I have suffered from more than a few in disagreement regarding my findings on the 204 Ruger cartridge. Here goes again.
My experience on the South Dakota prairies, which takes me out to 450-475 usable yards, to keep shots below the horizon, Prairie dog shots were dead on hold with moderate wind versus the half a dog hold off with my 223's. Elevation holds for 400 yards were to top of the head with a 200 yard zero. The 204 can only be described as a laser like compared to my 223's. Easy to shoot, cool shooting with both my rifles liking the 32 grain. I haven't tried the 40 grain factory loading yet. I like and enjoy shooting all my small bore rifles. These 2 in 204 had all 3 of us paying attention.

I'll add another suggestion for the good old fashioned 243. you really cant go wrong when hunting varmints. You can load heavy 105 grainers with the right twist to reach out very far. and if you hunt close range you cant beat a 80-87 grain bullet.

good luck!

Gents,

I'm wanting to build a new varmint gun mostly for prairie dogs, a yote or 2 and shooting steel. I've always wanted a .220 swift that that's what I'm thinking (I already have a 22-250 so drop it). I want something very flat and fast so I'm thinking 1-14" or 1-12" twist to shoot little bullets fast. I'm not planning on using turrets, just hold over. Most of the varmint shooting I do is 400 yds or closer. I'm a lefty so I'm looking for suggestions on an action (I want a SS Remington 700 but can't find a left hand). Also any reason I would need a different chambering or a long action?

Thanks,

If you get a .220 Swift, you will love it.

Good 53 - 55 grain bullets are available with BC's in the 0.290 to 0.310 range... (the same BC range as the 70 to 80 grain 6mm bullets).

Both the The 55gr Sierra BlitzKing is around 0.285, the 53gr Hornady V-Max is around 0.290, and the tipped Varmageddon is 0.310... the .220 Swift will drive these up around 3,900 to 4,000 fps.

In practical (real world) shooting, the .220 Swift will shoot faster and flatter than the 243 with varmint bullets.

You can build a left hand rifle on a standard length 700 action, and you can find a used LH 700 on Gunbroker for not to much money - just buy one that is not 223 or a belted magnum, cuz the .220 Swift uses a standard 30-06/308/etc bolt face.

Excellent brass is available for the Swift - Norma (the best), Winchester (second best) and Remington (pretty Okie Dokie).

I own a 40-XB in .220 Swift, two 22-250's (a 40-XB and a 700 VSF) , and two 6mm Remingtons (a 40-XB and a Browning B-78 HighWall) - so I have real experience with them.

... You will love the Swift.

Last edited:
I'll add another suggestion for the good old fashioned 243. you really cant go wrong when hunting varmints. You can load heavy 105 grainers with the right twist to reach out very far. and if you hunt close range you cant beat a 80-87 grain bullet.

good luck!

I second the motion. If prairie dogs is your quarry, the number of shots makes a straight .243 my first choice. You don't need a bullet that large to kill them, but then again you don't need a .220 Swift to obliterate them. BARREL LIFE IS IMPORTANT for this type of hunting.

If you have your heart set on a swift by all means go with. I would go with a little faster twist so you could shoot slightly heavier bullets and still shoot the light ones.

I have shot 2 220 weatherby rockets for years. I loved them both and they are so much fun on pd's it isn't funny. I shot the 50 ballistic tips exclusively at 4150 fps. I have more than enough pd kills beyound 800 yds to know that is not a fluke. My groundhog kills here in pa top out between 6 and 700 yds.

I also have shot 4 bbls out in benchrest chambered in 243. The ease of getting brass, the price of everything involved in reloading you cannot beat the 243. A twist of 1-10 or 9 you could shoot bullets from 65- to the 95 ballistic tips.

Just my .02.
I'll bet the 50 gr. BT at 4150 really rips those Pa. groundhogs. As a longtime Pa. groundhog hunter I am partial to hot 22 cal. cartridges I am currently using .223 22-250 22-47, would love to hear details on you 220 WBY Rockets.
Drags

Based on the OP's stated desires, I also recommend the .204R w/ a 32gr bullet, although the 39gr will do better at bucking the wind at distance.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to have both a 22/250 and a 220Swift.

I'm surprised no one has brought up my fav. For PD and groundhogs, and even a yote, my 223 A.I. is awesome in all categories. I have 2 in ARs, and one in a Cooper. all have 26 inch tubes with a 1 in 14 twist. They all shoot the same load, which I won't divulge, But it has a 55 gr. Sierra BlitzKing going 3600 FPS and they shoot bug holes! Not only is it accurate, but eats small quantities of powder, is easier on the ear pans and has hardly any recoil. I also shoot suppressed and that's been wonderful! Have shot this round at Pds and groundhogs. It will do everything a Swift or 22/250 will do but better. It truly is amazing how much faster a 223 A.I. is over a standard 223. The case only holds about 2 maybe 3 grains more powder but the accuracy and speed is mind blowing. I know what you are thinking; but that's the gospel truth.

I'm surprised no one has brought up my fav. For PD and groundhogs, and even a yote, my 223 A.I. is awesome in all categories. I have 2 in ARs, and one in a Cooper. all have 26 inch tubes with a 1 in 14 twist. They all shoot the same load, which I won't divulge, But it has a 55 gr. Sierra BlitzKing going 3600 FPS and they shoot bug holes! Not only is it accurate, but eats small quantities of powder, is easier on the ear pans and has hardly any recoil. I also shoot suppressed and that's been wonderful! Have shot this round at Pds and groundhogs. It will do everything a Swift or 22/250 will do but better. It truly is amazing how much faster a 223 A.I. is over a standard 223. The case only holds about 2 maybe 3 grains more powder but the accuracy and speed is mind blowing. I know what you are thinking; but that's the gospel truth.

"It will do everything a Swift or 22/250 will do but better." Really?? Just what will it do better?

"The case only holds about 2 maybe 3 grains more powder but the accuracy... "

The 223 AI holds 2 grains more, and accuracy is not a function of the shoulder, but the quality of the chambering and other work done at the same time.

"... and speed is mind blowing."

The difference in speed, if both are loaded to the same pressures, is 80 fps.

My standard 223 (a Winchester Heavy Barreled Varmint, with 9" twist)... 26.5gr of 8208 and a 55gr SBK hits 3540 fps with no signs of pressure.

The 223 AI is not worth the cost of the gunsmithing, and cost of the non-standard dies... and 80 fps is not "mind blowing"

Last edited:
How about a 22-6mm with a 1 in 7 twist and shoot the 80 or 90 grain pills around 3300 fps.

morning, having built a 22-250AI, 28" Hart barrel, #6 straight contour

1-8 twist. timmey match trigger,H&S match target stock, Warne Steel

mounts and SS rings. 722 Rem. action. I have 243AI #7 straight contour

shilen SS barrel, timmey trigger , H&S stock, warne steel mounts and rings.

77gr Lapua bullets.extremely accurate. deer, hogs, anything I want to shoot!!

the 22-250AI will shoot right with the 220 swift, depending on bullets and

twist of the barrel. just me THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

Actually I'm ok with it. I ended up going with a 243 AI, barrel should be in about a month. I'm just tagging along dreaming about my next laser beam.

For some reason I keep telling myself I need a 22-284.....

Th
e poor original poster... he asked about a .220 Swift, and the thread has turned into a contest to see who can come up with the weirdest wildcat...

... what a loss. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.