new 22 cal build

retiredcpo

Looking to start a new build to replace my 22-250 would like something a bit faster then the 22-250 but want to stay in the 55gr v max range.. suggestions? was looking at the 22 creedmoor but not alot of info on that out there
thanks

You could do a 22creedmoor with a 1:12 twist and shoot the lighter bullets.

I just put a 22 CM together for myself. I'm running a new paradigm carbon fiber rifle barrel in an EH1A on a Terminus Apollo lite Ti action. It's set up for the long heavies as its running a 1:7.5" twist rate.

I am plannon running SRP alpha brass so I can get as much as possible out of the Chambering.

I am loading up some rounds tonight to start testing, it's not exactly what your looking for but close.

I wanted the longer heavy bullets, my 22-250AI is nice and fast but those long shots on wolfs/coyotes in the wind really moves those little pricks around.

Ill share my experiences with you if you like.

good luck.

I just put a 22 CM together for myself. I'm running a new paradigm carbon fiber rifle barrel in an EH1A on a Terminus Apollo lite Ti action. It's set up for the long heavies as its running a 1:7.5" twist rate.

I am plannon running SRP alpha brass so I can get as much as possible out of the Chambering.

I am loading up some rounds tonight to start testing, it's not exactly what your looking for but close.

I wanted the longer heavy bullets, my 22-250AI is nice and fast but those long shots on wolfs/coyotes in the wind really moves those little pricks around.

good luck.
absolutly would love to hear how it goes..the reason im wanting to stay around 55gr is when we go out to shoot rockchucks we take two guns,,One has to be a 22 cal and the second can be what ever. my second gun right now is a 6.5 creedmoor with 100 gr bullets

I would say 22-250ai data would
work or start at top end 22-250'data.

image.jpg

Picture for you

If you want fast go straight to a 220 Swift AI and blow past 4000fps. know several with the 22 creed, but they all want it to shoot heavies. The swift will be faster and as long as you know something is faster out there you are gonna want it!

Last edited:
Retiredcpo -

Howdy !

Well..... your question goes right to my corner of the .224" cal performance envelope experience.

If you can stand a short history , I'd like to tell you what I did....

My main shooting interest has always been groundhogs, in particular those in NE
Indiana where I grew up on the farm.

When I first started shooting "Soybeanus Digestus" in the mid -70's, I owned, loaded for, and shot multiple .22-250s.....including factory, mildly customized; and full-til customs. My first one ( and my first bolt rifle ) came from P.O.Ackley's shop. My second one, a custom from a NW Ohio riflesmith. Also, two that were accurized and re-barreled by reknowned riflesmith Fred Sinclair. I also did load work and range work to find the best load for a full custom .22-250 from Mark Penrod.

At the time my .22-250 field use left me " wanting something a bit faster than the .22-250, but wanted to stay w/ the" .....55SX. So, I know what you mean . I decided to design my own .224" cal wildcat, and read up on all the relative info I could find. Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders ", all about Homer Powley's " Powley Computer", Robert Hutton's bullet ogive chart; Ken Water's Case Capacity Tables; et al.

I wanted what I considered to be ideal capacity, for shooting Hornady 55SX from a 24" barrel.
My anticipated engagement range was 500yd and under, back then. I set a performance threshold of
450 ft lb as the minimum energy I would accept for delivery to the desired range.
I didn't want the long case oal and goofy rim of the .220 Swift, a chambering Winchester had abandoned after 28yr.

Water's case capacity tables indicated that I could neck-down .35Remington to .224" calibre, and have the case capacity I sought for my new wildcat. For my very first wildcat design, I didn't want to go w/ and Ackley Improved type sharp shoulder. And, .35 Rem had large enough shoulder diam that I avoided having to blow out case' shoulders. My wildcat gave me the capacity I needed in a case oal of 1.920".... a scant .008" longer than a .22-250; and significantly shorter than a .220 Swift. .22-35 has .250" neck lg, which is enough to hold a 55gr varmint bullet.

I wrote P.O. Ackley about my design, and he responded back in a letter dated 10 Apr 1975.
He said.... " The .35 Remington should make a good .22 calibre cartridge when necked down to take the smaller bullet. ". I took that as a pretty good passing grade on my first attempt @ wildcat design!

I chambered w/ a reamer from Clymer, and formed cases using a custom RCBS case forming die set.

Fred Sinclair 'smithed my rifle, on a Wichita WBR 1375 single shot benchrest action, w/ a 24" SS Hart 1-14,
Walnut laminate Bishop target stock; and Ken Burns converted 2oz trigger.

I biased accuracy ahead of max velocity. It took me 450 rnds to find my chosen accuracy/field load.
55SX over 41.2gr WW760 and FED Large Magnum Rifle Match. it wasn't a max vel load by any means, but was hyper accurate ; and deadly on groundhogs!

I used a prototype of Hornady's 55"V-Max" from a small clutch Steve Hornady has sent me, to make a 510yd kill on a groundhog.... a scant 3mi East of Sinclair's shop in New Haven, IN. For that shot, I used 41.6gr of VV160 and FED Large Magnum Rifle Match.

.22-35 works just fine w/ a standard .308 bolt face. Sinclair outfitted my Wichita w/ an M-16 style extractor.
I never had a failure to either feed or extract loaded cartridges or fired cases. Cartridge oal is compatible w/ my rifle's loading port, which is basically M-700SA equivalent.

.22-35 does operate w/ a LR primer, but that is no death sentence on accuracy. For many, the use of SR primered brass is viewed as an aid in helping expensive brass last longer before pockets loosen.

Despite my using fairly abusive cleaning procedures for the first couple years of the rifle's use, and an ill-advised cryo performed too late in the barrel's life......the Hart went 3,420 rnd before ever keyholing its first first bullet. Had I treated that barrel better, I have every confidence it could have made it to 4,000 rnds.

.22-35 met and exceeded my accuracy and terminal performance expectations on groundhogs
It was also a great target cartridge, for my use.

With regards,
.357Mag

I just rechambered my 220 swift in to a 220 swift AI. final load w 53 vmaxs is 4170 and w 40s I topped out a lit over 4600. With the 70vlds I reached 3600. Also tried 69 TMKs and was at 3700. The 53s and 40s shoot under half moa but with the 70s and 69s my 10 twist wasn't stabilizing them enough and the accurate was very inconsistent. The barrel had approximately 800 rds before rechambered it, gunsmith said the barrel still looked good. I've got 400 rds threw it now and still shooting great. So the jury is still out on barrel life.

good luck.
After working with numerous 22creedmoor's my group of shooters has figured out that while brass quality is excellent with Alpha SRP brass, the capacity sucks. It reaches pressure far earlier than Lapua SRP and never gives the benefit in speed. It might be fine for the extra heavies, but we have found for the 69TMK and Berger 80.5's that Lapua 6/6.5cm brass rules the roost. This has been found across multiple shooters, multiple guns in multiple states, not just my own personal experience. Alpha will do "OK", but if you want all of the performance, go with Lapua brass.

I have a 224 Valkyrie and 22 creedmoor... with Re26 and the 80.5 grain bullet the creedmoor is a screamer...I have not killed anything with it yet but intend too as soon a I get some spare time. The Valkyrie is a cool little gun..if I did it a gin I would have probably stuck with a 223.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.