NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL

NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be in MOA or in MIL?

• MOA

Votes: 433 70.0%
  • MIL

Votes: 186 30.0%

• Total voters
Like others MOA is what I have experience with and is on all my scopes past and present. I have switched to metric system. Calculations are much easier in 10's 100's 1000's. Also I pace distances fairly accurately and again the math is easier.27 paces is 20 yards. 30 paces is 20 meters. So it is easy to pace meters vs yards.

<):)

Like I said, notice the pattern! all the MOA'er use it because that all they've ever bean exposed to, not because it was the better choice! I bet if they opened up to it, they would see the advantages of mils. I was the same way.

MOA for me. I an older hunter and it is easier for me to think (and calculate) in inches and yards. I too like matching turrets and reticles and prefer 1/4 MOA clicks.

MIL for me but only if the turrets match. Got used to ranging and measuring using the mrad system in the military. It became second nature.

I prefer MoA. slightly finer "grid"

It really doesn't matter from ease of use as long as the reticle and the turrets match.

I despise custom turrets and round specific reticles.

Last edited:
MOA
Promotes a self-learning curve that starts with the basics and reaches out to the most advanced levels that can be applied in the field and at the range. Success drives challenge, and vice versa.
Each shooter can apply the science to meet their own needs.
MOA all the way. A great system!

Like I said, notice the pattern! all the MOA'er use it because that all they've ever bean exposed to, not because it was the better choice! I bet if they opened up to it, they would see the advantages of mils. I was the same way.

For long range hunting applications I would respectfully disagree. Advantages in the tactical games and the military evironment, yes. I own, use, and fully understand the mathematics of both and find the MOA system at the very least the same, and for some aspects better for LRH. But....perhaps I'm missing something and would really like to hear the advantages for LRH.

MOA.. I have both types and find that a reliable rifle, accurate handloads, and a quality scope of either type makes for a reliable combination.

Absolutely Mil going forward. At 3.6 "s to 1" and 1/10 clicks who needs to daily to 20 for 1000 yard shot when you can dial to 5.8? Ranging is simple as well.

I have some experience with Mil Radians.. do not like them because I do not think in that form. I think in minutes of angle and inches of drop.
I tried mil radians for a few years. I kept missing deer, coyotes, elk, and most assuredly I missed all the squirrels. so I went back to MOA and have hardly ever missed another squirrel. I sold all my Mil-Rad scopes and bought MOA scopes.
gun) let the lead fly and the bass fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.