NEW POLL - Will your next rifle scope be first or second focal plane?

NEW POLL - Will your next rifle scope be first or second focal plane?

• First focal plane

Votes: 108 52.4%
  • Second focal plane

Votes: 98 47.6%

• Total voters
I think it comes down to personal preference and defining the use. There are many factors involved in making this decision. My most recent purchases have been FFP, but that's only because of what they are being used for.

I got my 1st ffp scope a few years ago and I have replaced 3 other rifle scopes with them since. I will replace them all as money allows. 4 down 13 more to go!

Happy Shooting.....gun)
I am right there with you, doing the same thing to my inventory as money allows.
God bless the FFP!

I am going for first focal plane. It eliminates the nonsense of checking the magnification and inputting it into the ballistic calculator to dial in the range. The only drawback I see is the size of the reticle. Where it shines is where a sighted shot at 100 yds makes adjusting at a different magnification for long range easy.

Probably ffp. I use a lot of 1-4×30 scopes . Or I should say I use them the most. Tho truth be told I Max out at moderate range with them. So not really valid. But, for a long range hunting rifle, definitely a ffp.
With the 1-4s if an animal is far enough away that I need to range it, the scope is already on 4 power.

Most of my scopes are SFPs. However, 2 of the last 3 purchases has been FFPs and enjoying transitioning to it without any problems. Having said that, my next would more than likely another FFP and probably illuminated.

Hey FEENIX-

If there is a downside to illumination, it is in dim lighting - where bring able to dial the illumination down to match lighting conditions can be more critical.
Illumination in some of my FFP scopes, and as long as there are enough "gradients" of adjustment...it is a good asset.

Having given a few FFP scopes a try, I decided to stick with SFP for my precision shooting/hunting rifles, preferring a constant reticle substension, and no clutter. Most all my LR hunting rifles use scopes are in the 5x20 power range with a clean MOA reticle. If my scope is set at 10x, my 1 MOA reticle becomes a 2 MOA reticle....very easy to remember. If I have the need to go to 5x, all I usually need is the crosshair. I use my turret for LR elevation adjustments, and the horizontal MOA reticle for wind adjustment. I will continue to buy SFP scopes for LR hunting.

I use Nightforce 2nd focal plane scopes exclusively, I have 4 scopes & my hunting shots are usually 5-600mts up to 1100mts so I have time to dial it in & with the 5-22 NXS I'm usually on 22 power so the MOA graduations are spot on. But having said that I have'nt had a serious play with a first focal scope, other than a Vortex viper PST & the cross hairs obliterated the bull on a steel plate at 600 mts
Second focal plane for me....

One other thing I've learned. If I need to range in lowish light conditions. I need the miling lines illuminated. As much as I like a center dot that is illuminated , sometimes the need to be able to range a dark animal or object is more important. For me anyway.

I use Nightforce 2nd focal plane scopes exclusively, I have 4 scopes & my hunting shots are usually 5-600mts up to 1100mts so I have time to dial it in & with the 5-22 NXS I'm usually on 22 power so the MOA graduations are spot on. But having said that I have'nt had a serious play with a first focal scope, other than a Vortex viper PST & the cross hairs obliterated the bull on a steel plate at 600 mts
Second focal plane for me....

I can understand your point - and experience..I own the same Viper the you mention. But the Athlon Cronus, and the Vortex Razor product lines will offer you better glass- and finer appearing reticles. That has been my experience with them. Hope that helps!

After making that post I had a good look at the Vortex Razor, going by the specs it would seem my concerns re the size of the subtensions is not an issue on the 1st focal plane scopes, I'm still sitting on the fence though re 1st v 2nd focal plane..I don't like to mess with my tried & true method of using the scope,But..Is the 1st focal plane going to be that much better for my style of hunting & shooting than what I currently do...at the moment I can't see it..
However I still want to be up with anything that improves my shooting....Is that massive procrastination or what !!!!

Ain't it great to have so many choices of gear? But, I am with you...sometimes it can give you a bit of the head-spins trying to figure out what will work best for you.

This of FFP this way - if it helps: When you zero, lets say at 200 meters as an example no mater what your magnification is - you are zeroed. SO if you need to dial up to max. mag. to look at a fly on the target, and decide to pull the trigger - you need not be concerned about a shift in POI.
And - if the crosshair of the reticle now is bigger than the fly, you dial back to whatever is comfortable - and still...no change in Point of Impact.

FFP

If i am out hunting and the place I happen to be glassing requires a particular magnification for best field of view, I don't want to have to change magnification or figure out what multiplier zoom level/moa ratio my reticle is on.... I want to know that where ever that animal steps out at whatever range, when i hold for a certain MOA, iam getting that MOA, no matter what magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts