Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL? **OLD POLL**

Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL?

• MOA

Votes: 1,135 68.6%
  • MIL

Votes: 519 31.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"MIL-MIL"

My best scope is a Bushnell Elite (ERS 3.5 - 21 W/ H59 mil reticle)

My ARC 1 Mile LRF 10X binoculars are set to read distance in meters and hold in mils to match my scope reticle.

The "base 10" math is so much easier to deal with than English units.

Do you see there rest of the world using MOA?? :D

Honestly, I think it just depends on what you are used to.

I would say that is very true. One is not better than the other.

If you were trained by the military or work with metric units all the time then you will probably be comfortable with mills

If you are just your average American used to inches and feet and think of distances in yards you probably will be more comfortable with MOA

anyone can learn to use either.

Whatever floats your boat.

I really like the Mil/Mill dot scopes. I have talked to several military snipers and law enforcement snipers. They convinced me to try the mil and I found it very easy to use.

With a mil/mil scope and running your ballistic program in mils the math seems more simple to me because when you look at the correction in mils you are looking at the number of clicks needed. All you do is move the decimal over. An example is if your program says the correction is 3.7 mils then the number of clicks is 37.
Now if your ballistic program is in minutes and your correction is 3.7 minutes how many clicks are required if you have 1/4 minute clicks? See you have to think about it!

I started out using MOA. Then I found a scope I wanted that was offered in MIL only, I bought it and started learning MILs. I found I liked MILs better. I ended up selling three MOA scopes and now own several MIL scopes. I like tools like the mil dot master etc etc. I agree that it's a personal choice, it's what you like and what makes the most sense to you.

Manufactures that make only MOA or MIL products and do not offer both are missing out. It's a pretty even split in the world wide market, I think it wise to cater to both parties.

After twenty nine years in the Army and shooting MIL I have opted to go MOA for my hunting. MOA is a lot simpler and faster to use when hunting big game. If I were a target shooter in completion I would go MIL. I am now retired and my eyes are not what they once were so DOTS are tough on my eye's.

I have an MOA/mil Burris Black Diamond from the '90s and do NOT like that screwy setup. (MOA turrets W/ mil dot reticle!)

I went with mil/mil for competition - a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50, FFP on my Ruger Precision 6.5 CM. It has the Horus H59 "Christmas tree" reticle and now I hold 90% of the time instead of dialing windage. Sooo fast to use.

Then, because of the familiarity in competition with the mil system I got another mil/mil, FFP scope for hunting (SWFA 5 - 15 x 42) to put on my upgraded Ruger American Predator. (Boyd's stock & Timney trigger). So far I love that setup.

@ "...molson"
What's this about "...MOA,,, because I use a Kestrel meter"?? The Kestrel 4700 and new 5700 Elite will work with either measurement system.

Eric B.

I go mil/mil. Smaller numbers to deal with and my head works in 10's better than 4's. To bad scope makers are still stuck in opposing adjustments to reticles mode. That's so kooky that somebody needs to just tell them to stop doing it. After all, the world stopped using slide rules when something better came along. MOA or Mil... I don't care but don't mix them.

I'm probably to old for a smooth transition but the US really should go to metric just cause it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.