If you could pick only one cartridge for all NA game except the big bears...

I have never found anything that works better than my .270 win. I am primarily a sheep and mule deer hunter. I usually kill a bull elk also but I have yet to see a better round for our wild sheep.My second choice is a shorty 45/70 saddle rifle and it's a lousy sheep round- Cheers

I would Pick the .300 RUM. for my one and only gun for everything in NA. It is one of the most powerful .30 calibers readily available. It shoots flat as a laser and hits like a semi truck. I also like the 7mm Rem Mag very well. It also shoots flat and makes one hell of a long range all around cartridge with the right loads. I like the new Nosler cartridges that have come out recently, especially the .28 Nosler. I don't know how they will stand the test of time, but I would take a chance on the .28 Nosler if I was in the market for a new rig.

7mm RUM. My best load is a 162 sst pushed by 86 grains of RL 23. 3400 fps zeroed at 300. 4,100 ft lbs and half moa. Nothing on this continent can walk away from that. It shoots so flat that I can avoid having to adjust for elevation. Extremely helpful when your quarry is chasing in the rut and ranging nthek alone is difficult.

My love for the 7 mm RM runs deep in me. So it's my choice for everything and just about everywhere. If I was in Alaska hunting multiple big game and happened apon a brownie I have every confidence it will do the job.

Ammo literally everywhere and loaded with a plethora of great bullets too. Whats not to like.

Brian

Placement
Placement
Placement

My pick is the 7mm-08. I've killed elk, deer, and antelope with it at distances ranging from 68 to 541 yards.

The 7mm-08 is easier for me to shoot, so it's easier for me to hit with. And there's something about it that kills out of proportion to its size. It's all I carry these days.

P

Common sense and all around performance would leave me no choice but to go with my latest acquisition my Tikka T3 Lite in ST/SYN in 300wsm. Groups speak for themselves. Minimal weight and great accuracy for a factory rifle. Topped with a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 600Zplex.

Attachments

• 20170608_130031.jpg
    20170608_130031.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 73
338 Lapua. Brass. Power. Wind. Did I mention power? I hunt static though so 15lbs means nothing to me.

I see that the 300 Win Mag gets the most votes...

However, I like Roy's favorite cartridge, that can be formed from the 300 Win Mag cartridge...or the 7mm Rem Mag...

The 270 Wby...especially with todays faster twists...

Shoot the Berger EOL 170gr bullet with incredible Sectional Density @ 3225fps...G7 of .336...that does not even go transonic till +1900 yrds

140 gr bullets @ 3625fps... 130gr bullets @ almost 3700fps...a steep shoulder to help slow barrel throat erosion...

I do not like heavy recoil and this cartridge fits me to a tee...

And I do not have to fire form brass...

Last edited:
I see that the 300 Win Mag gets the most votes...

However, I like Roy's favorite cartridge, that can be formed from the 300 Win Mag cartridge...or the 7mm Rem Mag...

The 270 Wby...

Shoot the Berger EOL 170gr bullet with incredible Sectional Density @ 3225fps...

140 gr bullets @ 3625fps... 130gr bullets @ almost 3700fps...a steep shoulder to help slow barrel throat erosion...

I do not like heavy recoil and this cartridge fits me to a tee...

And I do not have to fire form brass...
Boy I regret trading my old weatherby Vanguard VGX in 270 wby mag. Miss it still

I am going to have to go with the 300 win mag as well. The main reason is that I have been shooting one for the last 30 years. I am on my third rifle chambered in this round. I have tried others: 270, 280, 7mm rem mag, 7SAUM, 260, 243, etc, but in my opinion none of these have killed with the authority of the 300 win mag.

I always grab one of the 270's or the 45/70. Sometimes I take both the Browning and the Marlin and decide which to use later on.Both are leverguns, both are saddle guns but the .270 win is my Sheep rifle and I could not do without a good sheep rifle. There still is not a better chambering for North American Wild Sheep.The .270 Winchester.

second the 300wm with 215 berger!

I will build and have shot bigger and smaller...and they all have there niche....but 300wm berger 215 does it all to 1000 yards

#1 choice would be the venerable 300 WM. Wide variety of bullet weights, brass choices, and load data. Flat trajectory, plenty of energy to humanely kill game out to 1000 yds, recoil isnt awful but with a brake even better.

I think the .284 bullet has better ballistics and can be pushed just as hard, so a 7mag or a 28 Nosler would be my second choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts