If you could pick only one cartridge for all NA game except the big bears...

The .300 WM remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Loaded it with 215 Berger and you're golden.

Why? Not fancy but it rocks!

Sure can't argue or disagree with that that choice or reasoning. I'll stick to the 280AI which can handle anything in lower 48 and do it with about 10% less powder and recoil than most magnums.

Either the 7mm rem or .300 win mag.... Can't beat .308 diameter holes in chest cavities !! Plus you can buy anything just about anywhere for either...when stuff gets hard to find for these two time tested warriors our other barrels will be tomato stakes...

The .300 WM remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Loaded it with 215 Berger and you're golden.

Why? Not fancy but it rocks!

Well, this pretty much started and finished this thread on the first additional post.:)

Don Dunlap

Either the 7mm rem or .300 win mag.... Can't beat .308 diameter holes in chest cavities !! Plus you can buy anything just about anywhere for either...when stuff gets hard to find for these two time tested warriors our other barrels will be tomato stakes...

I would choose a 30-06 Ackley for the same reasons. Will shoot standard '06 ammo if needed and bullets from really small to really big.

I use this reasoning only for the zombie apocalypse. :Dgun)

Steve

Another vote for the .300 win mag. Widely available components, and effective at killing anything. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any of the big bears with one either.

300WSM,
Everything the WIN has in a shorter case so you get a short action if you want it and it burns less powder.

I'm a big fan of the larger case 30 cals but I hate anything with a belt so I'd probably go 30 Nosler. I've always liked the 300 RUM but the shorter fatter case of the 30 Nosler gives you more room in the mag box to stretch them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.