if you could only use one .338 bullet, what would it be?

Trueblue,

You are probably right about drilling the 300s like I now do the 250s, and probably right about uniforming the meplats. When I first started shooting 250SMKs I did not uniform the meplats and never had any problems with terminal performance or accuracy.

The barrel in my Kahn has well over 1000 rounds through it and Kirby has a new barrel in process. I will be sending the rifle to him after the hunting seasons are over this year. When I get it back I am going to give the 300SMKs a try again, and maybe the Berger 338s will be out by then.

For now I have a load I am confident in, both for accuracy and terminal performance, it is too close to hunting season to start messing around with it.

Davewilson,

Yeah, 3340 is smokin' with a 250. The rifle has a 30" barrel which seems to give me a good 100 fps gain over a more typical 26" tube. Still, it is a pretty hot load and I have to be careful with it in hot weather. I always keep my rounds in a cooler to keep them from getting too hot sitting on the bench in the sun.

When I work a load with the new barrel that's coming, I will probably back off a grain or two, or switch powders. I don't have any pressure signs with the load other than I only get about 5 loadings before the primers get really lose. WBY / Norma brass is pretty soft and the case shows no other pressure signs and will still be fine except the primer pockets. Brass is expensive, and fireforming is a pain so I plan to give up a little speed to see if I can get 8 or 10 loadings rather than 5.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.