Hunting rifle to hand down to my grandson

@ bamban,. You AIN'T Old, till you,.. Quit Hunting.
I shot an Elk in N. Arizona at, 71 y/o and another, in Idaho at 74 y/o,. AND,. helped carry out, the Meat, in my Pack.
Train,.. IF you want, to Hunt and, good Luck on, your Rifle / Cartridge, choice !

Thank you for the inspiration!

Two knees replaced that are not 100 % the best outcome, two shoulders about to be replaced. Severe Asthma that kicks my butt. Still will try to punch my 1st season drawn tag in SW CO. Godsend @Predator 22 volunteered to be my 1:1 guide in his AO. Applied for CO P&W ADA permit. Hope to get it.

Howdy, you are doing this young man a big favor. The 300Wm has always been my favourite, with a good muzzle brake and you mentioned the 5 port Ti. That is a good brake. And you can shoot 110 to 230gr. bullets, IMO there is no other cartridge that can do that efficiently.
Or get a Terminus action and start buying interchangeable barrels, one gun half dozen barrels. That would be kool.🤓

I was going to say how about a 6.5 creedmoor............... I'll let myself out.
In the Hands of, a "capable Hunter",. the 6.5 Creedmoor is very,.. Adequate ( Just get close enough and, USE, the "Right Bullet". ).
My other g-son, 23 y/o, shoots a 6.5 PRC for, Deer and, Elk ( W/ 140 Elite Hunters ).
He's taken 3 Deer with, Horn 143 ELD-X's so far and ALL, pretty much DRT within 20 yds of bullet impact, from 225 to 468 yards.
I'm stuck with, a Nice lil' Tikka, in 6.5 Creed as, my LAST Big Game Rifle and I will BE,.. Fine !
My 13 y/o, g-s Loves his .243 Win Tikka with, Berger 87 grainers going, 3,100 FPS and likes to Practice Prone and Sitting shots, on Steel.
He Handloads his Own, 87 gr. V-Maxes for steel practice ( same POI to 300 ) he enjoys,. Hand loading !

Last edited:
What about .280 AI....

Thank you.

I re-barreled one of my rifles into 280A1, using a borrowed pre-SAAMI reamer from a friend. Another friend, Dave Tooley, donated 4 boxes of RWS 270 brass. To save barrel life from fireforming duty, I re-chambered a 7-08 barrel with the same reamer. With 80 twice fireformed RWS brass, they should last a while, maybe outlast the barrel, if I were to shoot it a lot.

The 280A1 is very interesting. Mine can outrun my older 7RM, velocity wise, using 175 Elite Hunter.

This one shoots fine. 1000 yard cold bore at 3 o'clock. Head splash were from one of my 300WMs and from another one I chambered for a friend, as we were having fun on the range.

IMG_5248.jpg

I have no doubt your Grandson will be well trained and equipped. Heck you've been donating barrels or machining work for young people if I remember correctly. Given your years of competing I'm sure he will be well trained.

Yes, I have been doing barrel work for the TX Juniors, even done a couple for members' kids here. 3rd Match 2023 Camp Perry Cup Match, here is a score card posted by a young lady I did a barrel for. She had a great day, and I am very proud of her.

download (2).jpeg

In the Hands of, a "capable Hunter",. the 6.5 Creedmoor is very,.. Adequate ( Just get close enough and, USE, the "Right Bullet". ).
My other g-son, 23 y/o, shoots a 6.5 PRC for, Deer and, Elk ( W/ 140 Elite Hunters ).
He's taken 3 Deer with, Horn 143 ELD-X's so far and ALL, pretty much DRT within 20 yds of bullet impact, from 225 to 468 yards.
I'm stuck with, a Nice lil' Tikka, in 6.5 Creed as, my LAST Big Game Rifle and I will BE,.. Fine !
My 13 y/o, g-s Loves his .243 Win Tikka with, Berger 87 grainers going, 3,100 FPS and likes to Practice Prone and Sitting shots, on Steel.
He Handloads his Own, 87 gr. V-Maxes for steel practice ( same POI to 300 ) he enjoys,. Hand loading !
I'm just having alittle fun lol. My fireforming loads for my 260 AI were about 6.5 CM velocities. Fun to shoot and impressive ballistics for such a little cartridge.

Howdy, you are doing this young man a big favor. The 300Wm has always been my favourite, with a good muzzle brake and you mentioned the 5 port Ti. That is a good brake. And you can shoot 110 to 230gr. bullets, IMO there is no other cartridge that can do that efficiently.
Or get a Terminus action and start buying interchangeable barrels, one gun half dozen barrels. That would be kool.🤓

I heard about the Terminus actions, but never laid my eyes on one.

I'm just having alittle fun lol. My fireforming loads for my 260 AI were about 6.5 CM velocities. Fun to shoot and impressive ballistics for such a little cartridge.

I chambered close to a dozen 6.5 CM for friends, both stick shift and gasser, not one for me. I did a 260 because I end up with a few boxes of black hills ammo. Now, I am thinking maybe set back that 260 into CM.

If it were me the 300 WM would be my choice of the ones you list

30cal win.mag..... goes farther with heavy bullets.... makes a bigger hole.....

.300 win mag is almost never a bad or wrong decision

The time tested and true American favorite.......300wm FTW!

300WM is most likely will be. Still have enough FGMM with 190 SMKs to burn up a barrel. Easy button.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Two knees replaced that are not 100 % the best outcome, two shoulders about to be replaced. Severe Asthma that kicks my butt. Still will try to punch my 1st season drawn tag in SW CO. Godsend @Predator 22 volunteered to be my 1:1 guide in his AO. Applied for CO P&W ADA permit. Hope to get it.
If you need more help on your hunt, I can drive up with you