Hunting rifle to hand down to my grandson

bamban

I just turned 71, my grandson turns 10 tomorrow. At my age I am lining up what weapons to leave with him. Besides him getting some of the iconic weapons of our time from my collection, I am building him another hunting rifle.

On hand is a Defiance AnTiX nitrided, magnum boltface. Special S/N, grandson's initials and birth year.

On hand, McMillan molded in Woodland camo. Not totally set on this. Chassis system is still an option.

On order is a March 2.5-25x52 FD-1 MOA.

Barrel to be ordered will be 24 or 26 CFW. Brand, TBD.

SRS 5 Port Ti Pro 3/4x24

Still not decided on the cartridge, but caliber will be limited to 7 and 30. Not a 6.5 fan. I am looking ahead what would be the cartridge that will stand the test of time. Factory ammo available for him way after I am gone.

7 PRC
300 PRC
7 RM
300WM

I will do the metal work, furniture work and cosmetics will be sub out to professionals who do this kind of work for a living.

IF YOU WERE DOING IT WHICH CARTRIDGE WOULD YOU DO?

Last edited:
I just turned 71, my grandson turns 10 tomorrow. At my age I am lining up what weapons to leave with him. Besides him getting some of the iconic weapons of our time from my collection, I am building him another hunting rifle.

On hand is a Defiance AnTiX nitrided, magnum boltface. Special S/N, grandson's initials and birth year.

On hand, McMillan molded in Woodland camo. Not totally set on this. Chassis system is still an option.

Still not decided on the cartridge, but caliber will be limited to 7 and 30. Not a 6.5 fan. I am looking ahead what would be the cartridge that will stand the test of time. Factory ammo available for him way after I am gone.

7 PRC
300 PRC
7 RM
300WM

I will do the metal work, furniture work and cosmetics will be sub out to professionals who do this kind of work for a living.

Boy Nez that's a tough choice. I imagine any of those will get a muzzle brake correct? If that's the case then I'd go with one of the 30 cals for longer barrel life.

SRS 5 Port Ti Pro 3/4x24

7 PRC
300 PRC
7 RM
300WM

AWSOME! I am a new grandfather myself, but I am not opposed to being adopted!
Told my kids, I am not leaving them any money, just my boomstick collection

AWSOME! I am a new grandfather myself, but I am not opposed to being adopted!
Told my kids, I am not leaving them any money, just my boomstick collection

My kids are in the same understanding as yours. They spent their inheritance in form of tuition at Duke, Johns Hopkins, and George Washington Universities. Free ride from Dad's disposable funds.

It won't be long I will execute my die broke plan, the VA will even take care of my internment...

Last edited:

SRS 5 Port Ti Pro 3/4x24

7 PRC
300 PRC
7 RM
300WM

For the nuts and bolts you have on hand and on order I pick the .300 WM Great Idea, I'm sure he'll think of you often when he shoots and hunts with it over his lifetime. 👍;) Cheers.

I am a huge fan of the 300 PRC and I think it will stand the test of time but you can't beat the old 300 WM. Lots of versatility in ammo and it has been around forever and will be long after we are gone. I love the serial number idea. It will always be special to him and he will never forget where it came from.

Super cool project!!!
My dad only had one long gun and my siblings decided they should take it and they don't even like guns. Way to to go!!!!
Whatever you calibers you decide will mean a lot more to him just because you did it then what it is chambered in. But my vote would be 300wm😂

Recent Posts