Hunting rifle to hand down to my grandson

since it's on a anti action you do a complete setup with a few barrels as well.
Make it a nice set up for everything from small to large. I know you don't like 6.5 but 6.5 prc to 300prc would be pretty cool!

The only thing that can make it better, is if you get him involved in building it. He will never forget that experience

Good idea, thanks. I may time the chambering in one of their visits to us.

Wish they were closer. We are in NOVA right now to celebrate our grandson's birthday tomorrow.

We left ATX Wednesday, pulled up at their house in Burke, VA 2330 last night.

Good idea, thanks. I may time the chambering in one of their visits to us.

Wish they were closer. We are in NOVA right now to celebrate our grandson's birthday tomorrow.

We left ATX Wednesday, pulled up at their house in Burke, VA 2330 last night.
I would get everything "fitted" and ready and when he visits have him help you do
final assembly
Maybe have him help thread muzzle for brake

I just turned 71, my grandson turns 10 tomorrow. At my age I am lining up what weapons to leave with him. Besides him getting some of the iconic weapons of our time from my collection, I am building him another hunting rifle.

On hand is a Defiance AnTiX nitrided, magnum boltface. Special S/N, grandson's initials and birth year.

On hand, McMillan molded in Woodland camo. Not totally set on this. Chassis system is still an option.

On order is a March 2.5-25x52 FD-1 MOA.

Barrel to be ordered will be 24 or 26 CFW. Brand, TBD.

SRS 5 Port Ti Pro 3/4x24

Still not decided on the cartridge, but caliber will be limited to 7 and 30. Not a 6.5 fan. I am looking ahead what would be the cartridge that will stand the test of time. Factory ammo available for him way after I am gone.

7 PRC
300 PRC
7 RM
300WM

I will do the metal work, furniture work and cosmetics will be sub out to professionals who do this kind of work for a living.

IF YOU WERE DOING IT WHICH CARTRIDGE WOULD YOU DO?
300 WM or 7RM. They have been around the block and I don't see them going by the wayside anytime soon.

I just turned 71, my grandson turns 10 tomorrow. At my age I am lining up what weapons to leave with him. Besides him getting some of the iconic weapons of our time from my collection, I am building him another hunting rifle.

On hand is a Defiance AnTiX nitrided, magnum boltface. Special S/N, grandson's initials and birth year.

On hand, McMillan molded in Woodland camo. Not totally set on this. Chassis system is still an option.

On order is a March 2.5-25x52 FD-1 MOA.

Barrel to be ordered will be 24 or 26 CFW. Brand, TBD.

SRS 5 Port Ti Pro 3/4x24

Still not decided on the cartridge, but caliber will be limited to 7 and 30. Not a 6.5 fan. I am looking ahead what would be the cartridge that will stand the test of time. Factory ammo available for him way after I am gone.

7 PRC
300 PRC
7 RM
300WM

I will do the metal work, furniture work and cosmetics will be sub out to professionals who do this kind of work for a living.

IF YOU WERE DOING IT WHICH CARTRIDGE WOULD YOU DO?
Excellent! I think he would appreciate any caliber/chambering decisions from Grandpa. From your list, my vote is the .300 WM.

I think this is an awesome project!

I would go 7RM or 300 WM, but lean to the 300. Versatility! Develop a good load that can span big game with 180 grain (maybe 165) bullet and he would be set for life in hunting North America.

You can always start with lighter loads to get him comfortable but have the ringer ready for when he's a bit bigger 😀

Last edited:
You might need to make a wildcat magnum in 6.5mm. It depends on what bullet you choose for the 300 WM. Some of the 6.5's mirror the bc of the 30 cals. One of the reasons I choose a 260 AI to act as a long distance trainer to a 300 WM. Call it the 6.5 NEZ.

Recent Posts