Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

• YES

Votes: 969 62.3%
  • NO

Votes: 586 37.7%

• Total voters
Not yet but I'm hoping to get out this fall for a trip or two. Hard to do with being short on manpower, but that's no reason not to try.

Have done it several times, and enjoyed it a lot. It is my favorite type of hunting, I feel the challenge is greater of getting there, hunting, and coming back with your prey. I just love it.

Nope, but I'm all geared up for it and have been on a few backpacking trips around home for over nighters to try out my gear.

Hope to backpack hunt in the near future. I either need to find someone to go with or man up and go it alone!

Have spent many of days sleeping on the cold hard ground of the Trinity Alps of California. Have taken some nice black tail deer in this wilderness area. But have also passed on many. I use a internal framed back pack ,after graduating from the old external frame. To find deer in this wilderness, you have to be in shape to hunt mountain goat!
In my opinion, if you hunting only for the meat, do not take on back pack hunting. You should hunt this way for the experience.lightbulb

Have spent many of days sleeping on the cold hard ground of the Trinity Alps of California. Have taken some nice black tail deer in this wilderness area. But have also passed on many. I use a internal framed back pack ,after graduating from the old external frame. To find deer in this wilderness, you have to be in shape to hunt mountain goat!
In my opinion, if you hunting only for the meat, do not take on back pack hunting. You should hunt this way for the experience.lightbulb

I am glad to hear someone else on here that know how hard hunting the Trinity's can be. I have backpacked in the Sierra's and Hunted in Colorado and Montana and I think the deer hunting in Trinity's is some of the hardest and steepest hunting around. Plus you are hunting Black Tail which IMO is the hardest deer species to hunt out of the three.

SES50

Couldnt agree more with woodchoper:
You should hunt this way for the experience.
That is the main reason why I backpack hunt, the challenge of going out there, real far away from roads or human signs, hunt and come back on your own!!! Just my thoughts. The type of hunting big game I enjoy the most.

This past fall dear hunting season, I did not take a dear. I did, however, see smaller dear that I would have taken in my younger years of hunting. ( This is not a judgment on those that would have, just where I am ).
I did, however see a 350 Lb. beautiful black bear about 150 yards down hill from my position, Breeze blowing towards me, with the bears lack of knowledge of me.
These are memmories that I am now starting to show my 8 year old son.
So however you hunt keep up the great work everyone!

Many times, One of my more memorable, brother inlaw packed are gear and hung it in a garbage bag earlier, high in a tree. Day before opening, up the mountain we go, slight drizzle gain the top and set up spike. Well, hole in bag, so my sleeping bags is wet, I survive to about 4 am, wake up shivering , bone cold and say hey bro IM GOING hunting, see you on the mountain really looked forward to that sunrise:D Then there was that time I just about step on that rattler abuot 75 yards from camp..... oh and that grizz kill by camp.... the grizz in camp......grizz that ate camp.....:D:D:D

One of my buddies had a horse, use to be the lead, took him in the mnts. till 19 yrs. old. I have old picts of him straddling the campfire:D:D He liked the fire just as much as us

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.