Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

• I have in the past

Votes: 423 32.8%
  • I plan to in the future

Votes: 554 42.9%
  • I probably never will in the future

Votes: 517 40.0%

• Total voters
When your young and in great shape to go on a hunt of a lifetime you can't afford it, when you get to the point in your life where you might have the extra money to go on a Hunt, your body says Hell No.. what were you thinking.. lol

I used to do semi guided or DIY hunts all the time. I like the control aspect of it.

After I was paralyzed in a vehicle accident, it got too hard. This year I'll do Kansas for whitetail (Woodlands Guides), Maine for moose if I draw (Smoldering Lake Outfitters) and Texas for whitetail (Catarosa). Also scheduled for Idaho bear with hounds next May 2014 (Reggear Outfitters) - this one should be borderline insane but I'm dying to do it.

I'd go back to DIY in a minute with the right body. Hard but very rewarding.

I have gone on several outfitted hunts in the past. One to Alaska; one to British Columbia; One to Wyoming; one to Idaho; one to Colorado;one to Nevada; and one to New Mexico!

I would absolutely love to be able to go on an outfitted hunt, but alas, the cost is simply to high...

I do enjoy do-it-yourself hunts, and I have enough friends and family scattered around the west that should I ever draw a tag I should be able to go hunting, and have some places on which to hunt. Having a young family, I haven't been able to afford many out of state tags yet, but I am hoping to go on my first elk hunt this fall, even if it is just for a cow. Good eatin' gun)

When your young and in great shape to go on a hunt of a lifetime you can't afford it, when you get to the point in your life where you might have the extra money to go on a Hunt, your body says Hell No.. what were you thinking.. lol
Glockman55-Oh so TRUE!

I am very impressed by all the young family men that have answered up that would like to go, but cannot because either they cannot take their family, or afford a separate family vacation. That alone says volumes of the character of the people on this site.

I have done guided and non-guided hunts in the past, and I plan to do so in the future. I much prefer non guided, when I can, and it is practical. I live in the northeast. I am able to do a lot of deer hunting on my own, and do pretty good at it. Spend all year scouting and watching deer. However, my greatest passion is elk hunting. My first elk hunt was a DIY with two friends in Colorado. 7 days, I did not see an elk. One buddy saw one cow, the other saw three cows. Glorified camping trip. When I go west, I want to hit the ground hunting. I am a whitetail hunter, hunting with an outfitter has taught me a lot about elk.

That being said, I just drew Colorado 3rd season deer which will be a DIY, and hope to draw Wyoming antelope, which if I draw, will also be a DIY with my 12 yoa son. On the same note, I have 6 pref points for Wyoming Elk. When I do go, I will most likely use an outfitter for the best opportunity.

I just feel its cheating if someone is doing all the work for you. Obviously thats not a rule or anything and to each their own. I'm just saying personally.

I just feel its cheating if someone is doing all the work for you. Obviously thats not a rule or anything and to each their own. I'm just saying personally.
I get what you are saying. But I suspect there is some balancing point. I don't need a guy to gut and drag, or carry my gun like a caddy. But employing someone familar with the area, seems an age old idea.

I could see being dumped off at some stand or spot. Not sure I would want to hand out with a guy all day.

I have though about a baited spring hunt. Can't hunt spring black bear here. I am tempted to pay some to help bait my next bear hunt on my own property. Just to get some more bait out.

Staying at someone's camp or lodge doesn't bother me, got to pay to sleep somewhere when out of town.

There are some animals I most of will never hunt with out guides. We need to decide. For me it most about how much money I want to spend.

If I had the money, and shot all the animals I could without a guide, and wanted to try something new. I would have no problem with a guide.

I have read about them gutting and cleaning for you. That would bother me.

Sadder thign I read in this thread is men using ther phrase,"she who most be obeyed". They should probably not even hunt.

This country is vast and I personally want to hunt and see as much of the country as I can......with that said, I do not have the time necessary to fully scout all the new areas I want to hunt in order for me to be successful and fill my freezer......thus, I will hire a guide/outfitter for this service. As humans, we hire people all the time to improve our quality of life......do you send dirty work clothes to the cleaners?, do you wash your own car/truck 100% of the time?, do you go to a restaurant and pay for service and a chef to cook your meal?, do you send your kids to private/church school (I don't, but many do), etc. etc.

In order to increase my odds to actually draw a western ELK hunt this year, I entered the outfitter pool in New Mexico by using the most affordable option available, which is the minimal guide service.....this is 2-days with a guide, which is the minimum acceptable to enter the outfitter pool (increasing my odds to draw a tag by 2x..... normal odds of 5% as an example is more like 10% in the outfitter pool for NR). I drew a tag and since I am new to hunting NM, the guide that will be with me for at least the first 2-days will be invaluable.

After seeing and hearing all of the good feedback on Non-Typical Outfitters in Wyoming, I recently put in a deposit for a mule deer hunt........outfitter is so successful, the first opening was 2020 (passed on 2019 wait list). Pricey, but hopefully money well spent.....and I will save $1,000 each year over the next few years to afford it.

If you are wanting to hunt w/ a guide/outfitter, do it while you are young and relatively good shape to maximize your experience.......Do your research, make a few sacrafices, plan ahead, and save along the way......it will be an enjoyable/rewarding experience.

One thing that holds me back, besides costs, is having never done it it. Not knowing who to trust, or the ins and outs.

While elk would be a long term goal, I have thougt about trying antelope. Exotic to me, but I think easier to get a tag, and cheaper.

I am thinking black bear in Ontario, just cause no lottery, and cheaper price. Though I can hunt those in my yard. Hopefully a tag next year, thought I would have this year, Though MI doesn't have spring, when they coats are supposed to be the thickest.

But again, I look on line see lots of places, and who do you trust.

I have hunted roe deer, wildboar, and red stags in Europe, in Namibia and wildboar in Maine on outfitted hunts.

Money should be the only thing stopping someone from hunting with an outfitter in a good area.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.