Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

• YES

Votes: 612 30.1%
  • NO

Votes: 943 46.5%
  • NO, but I really should!

Votes: 475 23.4%

• Total voters
I do not have one.

Other than a quicker acquisition of the target while you set up what is the advantage of one on a rifle with a scope?

Thanks.

edge.

gun)edge, Most stocks for rifles made here (US), are set for 1" scopes, if you go to a 30mm tube scope, the stocks' cheekpiece will be too low for it, so you'll have to slide your face up a little to see centered through the scope. Since your cheek is therefore not "welded" in the same spot every time, your accuracy suffers because your line of sight will be a little different each time. Also your head/body position is a little different with each other so the cheekpiece needs to change a little for your position i.e. standing. sitting, prone, etc.
If you get a 20 MOA scope base or shim your rear base for long range shooting, this situation is magnified.

Timberwolfhd

Thanks, I just figured with a scope that those differences would not matter since the scope itself does not move.

edge.

I've got a couple stocks "on order" with adjustable cheek pieces.

Here's one I really like, for a woods gun. It was open sights before, and fine. Now its got a scope so the comb was way too low. Now, when you shoulder the rifle, the scope is right there.

Its got some cushion too, which helps. Anything helps when you're a skinny guy shooting an 18" 444 marlin!! Long live the THUNDER GUN!!

thundergun020.jpg

I started shooting with a DE cheekpiece last year. what a difference it made in the consistency of my longer range shooting. I did not believe I needed it before. After I started shooting with one, I found it immediately helped my shooting form and I will not be without one on my long range rifles.

Wow that thing is way over priced 80 bucks for a piece of kydex and some hardware and I have seen others priced at $60 and thought that is outrageous. :rolleyes:

My stock hit the post office today for a trip to Shawns' shop to have one put on. I need it, my cheek is floating, even with the lowest mounts that would work with the scope.

I use a piece of pipe insulation that I have fitted to the top of the stock and then have a stock pad with a pouch over the top. Perfect cheek weld for me.

I use a piece of pipe insulation that I have fitted to the top of the stock and then have a stock pad with a pouch over the top. Perfect cheek weld for me.

That's exactly what I did last night... super glued two halves together, trimmed it up a bit with a razor blade, then stuck it under my Tac-Ops stock pac. Worked out rather nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.