Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle?

Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?

• YES - Of course

Votes: 2,019 72.8%
  • NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me.

Votes: 755 27.2%

• Total voters
Working on getting the parts together for a 25-06 AI in the near future.

It will be based on a trued Rem 700 action, Broughton 28" 5C-4.1 taper. and Joel Russo stock. The barrel should be in sometime in the next couple of weeks and then off to the smith for his imput.

Haven't decided on the optics yet but for the time being looks like it will be a Weaver Tactical.

Hope to have it sometime around the first of the year or shortly after.

XP-100
300 Dakota
Lawton SS 16.5" 1:10T barrel w/Cheytec Muzzle Brake
Near Aluminum Scope Base
Seekins Aluminum 30mm Rings
Haven't decided on the stock yet,MPI or HS
All metal Cera coated
With Greg Tanel doing the Smithing

Will be picking up my first "wood" custom next month and I can't wait----Speedy built all of my others but the specifics are:

• An absolutely breathtaking piece of Turkish Walnut I spent 6 months looking for finally found the one I needed.
• An as new pre-64 300 H&H action that will be made into another 300H&H
• Krieger barrel being turned to match the stock contour exactly (large blank I got sitting on the shelf at Krieger)
• Skeletonized and checkered butt plate and grip cap.
• Tally bases and rings
• Jewell Trigger
• Macassar Ebony Tip

All work will be done by Chuck Grace

Yes, I just sent off my parts to the gunsmith last week.
I decided to go with a 6BR for my new long range varmint rig. Here are the specs;

1. 6BR, Standard neck, Lapua chamber, .060 lead (freebore)
2. Nesika Model L, 1.70 Action
3. Krieger, 30", 1-8.5 twist, 4 groove, .236 lands, 1.450 straight taper barrel.
4. McMillan Tooley MBR Stock, 5 pounds lead added to rear, removable front stud for bi-pod use.
5. Jewel 2oz trigger
6. Vias muzzle brake
7. Davidson 20MOA base
8. Kelby 30mm Rings
9. Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS

The rifle will be smithed by Clay Spencer of Spencer Custom Barrels and rifles out of Virginia. The rifle will be completed in 4 to 6 months. I aleady had all the above mentioned parts and that's why it will be completed in that time frame. If I would not have had the parts, it would have taken about 12 to 15 months.

Wildcat

Last edited:
Having a mauser action re barreled to a 260 shilen match ss barrel. Anxious to get it back

Due to the fact that 1000yd competitions are closer to where I live than point blank I am going to rebuild my Lawton, since it already has the 20 moa scope base and a stock that is really a long range bench stock I am going to convert it to a 1000 yd light gun.
Caliber 7mm saum.
Barrel Bartlein 5r 9 twist 1.250 for 5" then straight taper to .950", finish length 29" plus a brake I havn't decided yet if I will build my own or use one of Shawn Carlocks most likely one of Shawns.
I will be shooting 162gr A-max bullets.
It currently wears a Weaver T-36 scope, not sure yet if that will change or not.
I have also not yet decided if I will just open up the bolt face or get a new bolt.
With the lead times on the Bartlein barrels I may be able to have the 6BR barrel shot out before I get the new barrel if I stop shooting my Savage 6BR. Otherwise it will likely go on a Ruger #1 that"s getting really ****ed that it's still a 7mm Rem mag.
I ordered the barrel today, brass and dies should arrive tomorrow so I can set up a dummy round to have the reamer ground. I am using 300 saum Nosler brass and am planning on doing a no-turn neck, we'll see how things look when the brass gets here.
This project has been in the back of my mind for some time now but I hadn't decided on what action to build it on until yesterday.
I really struggled with the 7 saum decision because I had already decided that any new gun would have Lapua brass available for it, but I think the 7mm saum is an ideal design for a 1000yd BR ctg so I bit the bullet (so to speak) and we'll see how it turns out.
Target wt is 16.5lbs.
James

I haven't had any major customer work for the last 2 months, so I got to work on my own stuff. I came out good on the cataract surgery, so I went ahead and built the iron sighted Rem 700 in .280 Remington. Trued the action and bolt, parkerized them, and fitted a Shilen #5 stainless barrel, 9 twist, crowned at 25". Stocked it in an Accurate Innovations AAA claro walnut hunter. Sights are a Lyman all steel long slide aperture rear and a Feinwerkbau globe front on a Remington ramp. JECustom donated both sights to the project.

I've got to learn how to post a picture. I really like this rifle. Hope I can do it justice shooting through the iron.

No reason to wait until next year. Tom

I guess im having a gun made in the next twelve months only thing is that Im doing the wrok on them. As of right now,

custom Ar15, shilen match barrel etc.

hot rod 7mm
lawton 8500 action
30" rock creek barrel
Manners stock
20MOA bases
remminton trigger tuned to 2-3lbs.
Actually having a different smith do this because I ordered the parts through him before I decided to got to gunsmithing school.

Next is a 300rum that will be a fathersday present so dont tell him

Sleeved remington 700LA
McMillan A4 Black, Blue & white
28" kriger barrel
trigger tuned to 2-3lbs
Night force rings and bases and will have a night force NXS sitting in them

The next two could take me awhile so I dont know if they will be within the next twelve months but it will be a 7-08 on a mauser and a 221 fireball on a some kind of action with some kind of stock. Got the mauser action and the barrels for both just ot the time to put them together yet.

last week i sent the deposit so kirby could start ordering parts. here's the build:

savage 110 action
28" fluted lilja SS barrel
338 edge chamber
defensive edge 3 port brake
SSS competition trigger
savage over-sized bolt handle
stockade money saver out of mold tactical stock (i'll sand, fill and paint)
holland comp recoil lug
farrel 20 MOA base
leupold steel rings
vari-x III 6.5-20x40mm (just sent to the leupold custom shop for M1 target turrets)

Oh, the 7mm project was put on hold because of a cancelation of an action and has been replaced with a 338-408 cheytac.

Stiller python action
mcmillan MBR stock
havent ordered barrel yet.
I havent chosen the trigger yet.

As long as Bob Hart is around I will be having one or two built a year. Next project will be a 338 Hart on a 700 action 28" Hart barrel w/brake in a blue and white Mcmillan. Ive got stock and action just waiting on Bob to get barrel in.

Here are a few pics of my stock that Speedy took at Chuck Graces shop---the finished product will be a pre 64 300H&H.... Took me about a year to find this blank but it was worth it I think..
300hh3.jpg

300hh2.jpg

300hh1.jpg

Project 1

300 WSM, Predator action, Bruce Baer Sidewinder stock, hart 1-11 barrel, Harrels brake, min SAAMI reamer with .338 neck for 210 JLKs. 16.5 lb light gun being built now

Project 2

LR Hunting rig, 300 RUM, donor 700 action being accurized and converted to 40X for trade, 20 MOA base epoxied on, Lilja 30" LV taper 1-10 twist, Holland QD brake, Russo A5 stock, jewell trigger. Leupold 8-25x. Ready in another week.

Project 3

7mm-08 shilen 21" barrel, savage small shank action, still debating stock

BH