Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Do you plan to buy a new truck in the next year? Vote YES or NO - If YES, which brand

• YES

Votes: 405 27.2%
  • NO

Votes: 796 53.5%
  • Chev/GMC

Votes: 193 13.0%
  • Dodge

Votes: 125 8.4%
  • Ford

Votes: 239 16.1%
  • Toyota

Votes: 150 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 26 1.7%

• Total voters
I bought a New Ford F150 FX4 Super Crew in October 2010. Ford did not take the Bail Out Money!

By the way......Looking for a Tonneau Cover for this truck!

Attachments

• DSC02970.jpg
    DSC02970.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 26
Hey Westcliffe,
What is stopping the U.S. Auto maker's from using say, a 3.0 Diesel vs Ford's new 6.8? I had a 2000 F-250 7.3 that I loved. Then came the 6.0, and a salesman I knew talked me into "upgrading" to a more efficient 6.0. Needless to say, if I saw him jogging on the road, I would probably run him over like a woodchuck!! I had the 6.0 for less than a year, and was getting close to 1/2 the mileage of the 7.3!! One of the dumbest things I have done(vehicle wise) ever.

The perception that smaller / more basic cars only make losses for the manufacturers. Funny how Toyota and Honda seem to be doing better than most others based on that formula. Yes, Ford now sells the Fiesta, but for $16k+ ?? For a 1.6L gasoline engine version ? The 1.4tdi version sells for about 14k Euro, which is about the same price they were 7 years ago (in Euro). Of course they don't sell the smaller engined models in the US (1.4 gas and 1.2tdi). These would offer consumers some SERIOUS fuel economy which has been made inaccessible in this market for over 20 years.

Hey Westcliffe,
What is stopping the U.S. Auto maker's from using say, a 3.0 Diesel vs Ford's new 6.8? I had a 2000 F-250 7.3 that I loved. Then came the 6.0, and a salesman I knew talked me into "upgrading" to a more efficient 6.0. Needless to say, if I saw him jogging on the road, I would probably run him over like a woodchuck!! I had the 6.0 for less than a year, and was getting close to 1/2 the mileage of the 7.3!! One of the dumbest things I have done(vehicle wise) ever.

I suppose I'm different than most. I prefer smaller trucks. I drive a lot of places a fullsize truck can't go. Domestec compact trucks ar NOT reliable. My truck was made in Tennesse. If I could buy a chevy/ford that could do what my truck can, I would buy one. I had a dodge rental whn my truck needed some body work (guy ran a red light). It was awfull, gutless, and a 4wd with the ground clearance of a car. I put a small lift with 33" tires on. I have about 12" of ground clearance with a short wheelbase. Enough room for 4 people, 5 is tight. It came with an electronic rear locker. I can't break down 30miles down some two tracker. I drive a Nissan Frontier because it won't lay down on me. I have buddies that drive Tacomas for the same reason. they go anywhere, dont break down and last a lot longer than domestic compacts. I really want to see some small deisel motors in compacts. They run them overseas. Why not in the US market? Tons of torque, great milage. If I could have gotten a small turbo diesel in my truck, I would have in a second. I know in NZ a lot of the guides drive compact turbo diesel pick ups. Domestic compact trucks don;t hold a candle to their Japenese counterparts. For fullsize trucks, domestic deisels are the way to go. My dad drives a Dmax, and my roommates dad a stroker, my cousin a cummins.For fullsize gas trucks, the tundra takes the cake IMO. Their motor drives like a deisel. The chevy 6.0 never have drove like that.

I feel the pain of the guy with the 6.0 stoker. My cousin, a darn good mechanic, hates them. Ive seen more problems on the 6.0 stokers than almost everything else put together.

Hey Youngbuck,
Sounds like you should buy a Jeep. The thing is this. Just because your Jap. truck was made in a place where anything above minimum a minimum wage job puts you heads and shoulders above your neighbor...Doesn't change the fact that the profit from those trucks goes back to the same people that brought Pearl harbor to your Grandfather. My Grandpa was one of those guys that ran the anti aircraft guns in the Navy. He watched just under 2000 of his fellow sailors die, along with a bunch of Marines, and some Army personnel too. I am the guy that has the anti Jap bumper stickers on my F-150. Oh yeah, my Grandpa retired from Ford after 43 years as a die welder. I wish the big three would get it together, so people like you, and most of western and southern states, would buy American vehicles. I know guys will blast me with all of the big three statistics of out sourcing parts to here and there....And that ****es me off as much as the Jap cars and trucks on our roads. The fact remains. My Grandparents worked at Ford, and Chrysler, and my Dad was a die design engineer at Fisher Body. By the way, my son drives a Ford Explorer Sport track with a 6cyl. It's got 96,000 on it, and runs like a champ. Ball joints and brakes is all it's had done to it? Anyway, I hope one of the American company's can build something to your likeing, because it sickens me to see all of the Jap cars and trucks driving around this Country. Almost like the past doesn't matter? Who knows, maybe the terrorists that flew those planes into NYC will build a better diesel? Could see the next generation working and buying from them? Just a thought?:rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot. No I am not a U.A.W. member, nor have I ever been. I dislike what the U.A.W. has done to the US auto industry. I know some of the "braggers" that screw G.M. and Chrysler out of hours, and steal stuff from them. So I am NOT a fan of the U.A.W. I think our Government, and Reigion are just like the U.A.W. in that they all started out as good things, with good intentions, but got too big, and lost focus on what they were intended to do when they began? Now it's $$$$ and POWER!!

I wish I knew as much about guns as you do trucks! That's interesting.

I spent 34 years in the heavyduty truck business working with all the major players. Everybody makes a pretty good body these days, and the frames are all made by the same folks (Dana). Also did a lot of military power packs as well. Then I spent a good while doing hybrids (till I was sick of the word), and even hydrogen fuel cells. Ever seen a gas turbine powered semi? Or a Gas turbine powered Greyhound bus? I worked on those projects (could not put enough fuel in them to drive 200 miles!!) I've seen more blown up engines than any ten of us put together, and I've watched design teams go bananas when the saw all the oil under the oil pans. Watched everything from a four cylinder to a V16 have a catastropic failure (better on a dyno than in your truck)

There are some things just starting to trickle down right own that will turn trucking upside down. This will eventually find it's way into the generic half ton and three quarter ton. Ten years from now you all will be driving eight and ten speed pickups that you can't even feel a shift in. Engines are gonna start getting smaller again, but have more power with a curve that is nearly flat. Eight cylinder deisels are gonna be a bygone era soon, as the six's are the ones that are making the power while meeting the emission specs. Keep your eyes on CAT and Cummins, as these two have a few tricks up their sleeve that will make everybody else bury their heads in the sand. These power packs are already on the road as an experimental project, and the Fed is really pushing them on it.
gary

I bought a New Ford F150 FX4 Super Crew in October 2010. Ford did not take the Bail Out Money!

By the way......Looking for a Tonneau Cover for this truck!

correct, but Ford used tax credits that they never had to pay back. You are now bearing the burden for those tax credits. No truck or car should have been allowed anykind of bail out unless it met the 67% U.S.A. content law. There is no Ford half ton that will come close to that, and I doubt a Dodge will either. Chevys usually run around 65% to 67% these days (U.S. & Canadian content). It's a sad day when Toyota can brag in an ad that they have a greater U.S. content than a Ford in my book!
gary

Hey Westcliffe,

auto manufacturers and the grand idea of designing and building a deisel engine is a joke! Navstar did the 7.3, and it was a pretty good engine. Not great on emissions and fuel milage but by the time they were into their third year of production they still had a great powerpack (stick shift). They had a lot of problems with the fuel delivery system at first because Ford wanted some cheapo fuel injection system (note: Navstar was against this from the start). Ford also did away with the sodium filled valves and paid dearly for it. Dodge just went to Cummins and said "build me a motor", and we'll pay the bills. G.M. wasn't any better than Ford, and it cost them several billion to get the Duramax working right.

There are at least three half ton deisels in development right now. One is from Cummins and the rest are kinda shakey. Cummins has no less than three engine projects going on at the sametime for half tons, and one of them is rumored to be in a Jap truck (we'll see). CAT has a six that is turning a lot of heads right now, but needs about 25% better fuel milage. The goal is 25 mpg with 460 ft. lb. of usable torque
gary

Hey Tricky you may have an answer for me.

Why can't I buy a compact 4wd truck with a small turbo diesel in the US? They sell all over the rest of the world, seems honestly like everywhere but the US. I would love to see Frontiers, Tacomas, Colorados with a diesel full of touque and good milage. I spose the Colorados got the 5.3 gas motor, wich is a good motor IMO, but not the turbo diesel I want to see. Why couldn't they run some isuzu diesel motor instead.

Its going to get worse before it gets better. Small industrial machines are now being built with gas engines again so that the manufacturers don't have to develop emissions equipment for the diesels. Double the fuel consumption and less than half the engine life and of course they will probably sell for the same price as the previous generation of diesels...

not on here much cause im in afghanistan but i just bought a new to me 1973 CJ-5 and am planning on buying another "new" hunting truck. small 4 wheel drive with a carburetor. to replace my fuel sipping ford hi boy

Hey Tricky you may have an answer for me.

Why can't I buy a compact 4wd truck with a small turbo diesel in the US? They sell all over the rest of the world, seems honestly like everywhere but the US. I would love to see Frontiers, Tacomas, Colorados with a diesel full of touque and good milage. I spose the Colorados got the 5.3 gas motor, wich is a good motor IMO, but not the turbo diesel I want to see. Why couldn't they run some isuzu diesel motor instead.

at one time they were playing with a small V6 turbo deisel in the S10 platform, but the marketing folks cancelled the project just before they started the prototype testing on the highway. The V6 was a Detroit, and had about the same torque as the 4.8 V8 does right now. The only one I saw was in a GMC Envoy SUV, but knowing the way they did things I'd say there was at least a dozen built. Dodge also played with the same engine in the Durango, but Mercedes cancelled that program as well. We did test a few four cylinder CAT's in front of a super beefed up 700R4 during that time period, but the transmission wasn't upto the job. Dodge also built a handfull of Durangos that had a hybrid drive train with the electric motor being integrated into the transmission (we had a similar project under development at the sametime working hand in hand with Chrysler). The idea with that concept is that the motor inside the gearbox can add 100 horsepower intantly while allowing you to use a small motor for normal driving. The downfall is that the extra power boost is only good for two or three minutes of usage, and then the batteries must recharge.
gary

Its going to get worse before it gets better. Small industrial machines are now being built with gas engines again so that the manufacturers don't have to develop emissions equipment for the diesels. Double the fuel consumption and less than half the engine life and of course they will probably sell for the same price as the previous generation of diesels...

they are getting ready to clamp down on non automotive internal combustion engines in a big way as they are looking to be some of the dirtiest engines out there. The average automobile can drive from Chicago to Frisco, and emit less crap in the air than your power does in four hours! What's next? Charcoal grills?
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts