Brown bear Rifle

Those are safe for the most part

I know some lousy guys exist out there, can think of a couple that run around near one of the places I have a cabin. But in a day of Internet where bad news travels four times around the world before you can get off the plane from a lousy hunt.... it's still surprising they survive.
It's too bad there's not a way to review guides independently. Be better for good ones and protect hunters from bad ones.
I've known some who are awesome and some who I wouldn't want to pay $10 for a hunt.

As a hunter, you need to be prepared to do it on your own. Relying on others can get you in trouble. Whether its shooting, spotting, gear related etc. Being as prepared as possible will increase your chances of success

If it were legal…..there would be no guide involved. Unless he agreed to the stipulations that I already mentioned! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
If it were legal…..there would be no guide involve. Unless he agreed to the stipulations that I already mentioned! 😉 memtb

I fully understand this sentiment, the reality is most who take the time to study enough to get on a forum and join in probably put in the time to not need a guide. Not entirely sure what was going on when it became guide required, it was before my time. I'm certain it was a combination of protectionism with a little bit of honest issues sprinkled in.

I do remember when goats became guide only for out-of-state. It's true there was some pretty bad actors causing problems from out of state shooting the wrong animals, conversely there was some issue with locals doing it as well. On the surface there were real reasons why at least one guy really pushed hard to get it shut down, doesn't diminish the fact that his son benefited financially from that decision as well. Was it 50/50 real or profiteering I don't know, probably depends on the day and definitely depends on who you ask. Clearly the board thought so so either viable reasons or not made it so. Guessing the bear super exclusivity was probably along the same lines.

I'm kind of on the outside looking in as I have no desire to shoot a bear, and I'm a resident with property in remote alaska. Shooting problem Bears is always such a pain in the rear, always Associated bear hunting with being a pain in the butt.

Without going too long winded, I remember being 18. Couple of friends got jobs essentially being Packers for a guide outfit, at the same time I took a job on a competitive halibut boat with lots of quota. I'm not sure what they made that spring but it wasn't much over minimum wage, pretty sure my weekly pay was close to their 6-8 weeks. Over the years I kept fishing, and going to school and they worked their way up to guide level. At no point was I ever envious of the pay, even though it seemed like a cool job it just never looked like it penciled. I'm certain some of the guides make quite a bit of money, but the junior woodchuck standing next to you might just be there cuz it's cool to be there. Competency is hard to test for in many lines of work, it's not exactly hedge fund levels of pay... so it's gonna be hit or miss.

Akdad is not wrong in his observation, just kinda surprised so many are able to still get clients in this digital age.

Same here.

Additionally, I'd like to know I shot and killed my bear, if I was paying $25-30K for a guided hunt. Rather than my guide killing it after my first shot, with his .375 or .458.

I've shot a lot of black bears but have never hunted grizzlys or browns. When I watch the videos, including the one in this thread, I can't help but think the same way you do. Guides should back a hunter up when necessary, but they often start shooting the second that the hunter drops the hammer. Who knows who actually harvested those bears? Guides are frequently shooting heavier cartridges and getting on target fast. There's a good chance that a hunter didn't actually kill his own bear.

I've had to go down into thick alders to check a down bear, it was the most hair raising thing I've ever done. Doing that for a living would make for a short life. For all the guys on here being prepared, are guys dropping 40k on a hunt and showing up unable properly poke holes in a pie plate at a reasonable yardage. Have heard enough horror stories to fill a book, that might explain why some guides shoot so quick.

It's too bad there's not a way to review guides independently. Be better for good ones and protect hunters from bad ones.
I've known some who are awesome and some who I wouldn't want to pay $10 for a hunt.
I wish I could interview and test clients/hunters beforehand also. 😁
Bad shooting and big egos make for "hard" experiences. For both parties.
95% are great experiences personally speaking. It why I keep doing it.
That 5% is a test of personal limits that I would not use with the other 95%.
So I get to learn from that.

I've had to go down into thick alders to check a down bear, it was the most hair raising thing I've ever done. Doing that for a living would make for a short life. For all the guys on here being prepared, are guys dropping 40k on a hunt and showing up unable properly poke holes in a pie plate at a reasonable yardage. Have heard enough horror stories to fill a book, that might explain why some guides shoot so quick.

IIRC - the guide in the video above started to shoot immediately at a bear that was 200yds away and out in the open. There didn't seem to be any justification for that. He was quick to congratulate the hunter for his great shot(s). I'd be one unhappy camper if I paid huge money for a bear hunt and knew in my heart that the guide probably killed my bear.

I started this thread almost 1 year ago to the day !!! I would like to thank everyone for the informative and entertaining comments. I will certainly use the info in the near future. Leaning towards a new rig in 375 H\H. Maybe a standard Mod 70 and shoot it a bunch. Have a Sako that I could rebarrel to 375 but don't know if it's really a CRF. I think the mod70 is CRF. Have researched a bunch of outfitters for 2023 or 2024. THANKS !

Zeeman, thanks for writing this follow up it is much appreciated. I saw the original date on the original post and was curious if you'd made any decisions on what cartridge you chose to go with?? I have friends who do a grizzly hunt through a drop camp every year; one is a registered Alaskan guide. These friends started out with 300 WinMags until one of the hunters got mauled and nearly killed by a wounded grizzly. They are all now hunting with controlled feed .338 WinMags after the extractor failed on a Browning X-bolt (?) and left a fired round in the chamber. I've never hunted grizzly and will never be able to afford such a hunt, however if I were ever fortunate enough to go I'd take a close look at the .375 Ruger. The ballistics are comparable to those of a 375 H&H, and the 375 Ruger comes in a long action instead of the magnum action of the 375 H&H. Just my .02c worth.

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
.340WbyMag 265gr muzzle is almost 3,000 fps and 5,000energy. 900yds still going 2400fps.

this is my .340, LH

Attachments

• .340 weatherby.JPG
    .340 weatherby.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
When I was on detail to Alaska, I watched a video of a guy hunting with a .338 Magnum. He knocked the bear over three times with shots behind the shoulder. Each time the bear got up and kept moving. The fourth shot hit the shoulder, and kept the bear from going anywhere, but didn't kill it. The unguided hunter was unfamiliar with a borrowed Browning rifle and couldn't figure out how to reinsert the magazine. Brownings have a weird magazine that has to clip onto the drop plate before closing. If the bear had been charging him, he would have died. He finally killed it with his fifth shot.

I would have never believed that a .338 Magnum wouldn't just kill a bear as quickly as a .270 kills a deer. It gave me a whole new respect for how tough a grizzly is.

Forest Service surveyors in Alaska use .458 Win. Magnums. Each person has to qualify with the rifle.