Bergara Crest Carbon

Jeff Haugland

Even though the Bergara Crest Carbon is not on the market yet, has anyone seen any testing reports on it? Of course there are opinions which I would like to hear. Thanks ~

I have the ridge cf in 300wm. It has been shooting .4- .8 groups with 208 eldx and retumbo and not much load development. Main reason I bought it was Bergara was offering a free tax stamp and local scheels had the 300wm marked down to 1100.

I have a couple bergara's, none carbon but I do have some buddies with cure barrels. No issues to speak of. I did hear of the problems on other forums, but it sounded like they hard worked those out.

i own 2 6.5cm 1 270 ridge 1wilderness terrain 7mm all shoot .75 or better

And I've owned 3 of them including a premier and they've all gone back to Bergara because they shot like **** out of the box. I just got my Wilderness Sierra back a week ago that went back because it was shoot 4" groups.

They're a crap shoot and CF only complicates things.

Man that really sucks! For factory rifles, I've had good luck with their rifles.

Some people do, some don't.

My first was an early HMR back in 2015 or 2016. It shot around 2MOA and had terrible extraction. I sent it back and they polished the chamber, lapped the lugs, and recrowned the barrel. After that it extracted fine but just barely shot sub MOA for 3 shots and would throw fliers like crazy after 3 which is not acceptable for what's supposed to be a crossover match rifle. If I had known then what I know now with their crappy bedding with paint overspray in the inlet I would have cleaned it up and skim bedded it.

My second was a premier approach that shot close to 6" groups out of the box. They replaced the barrel and it shot lights out after that. I ultimately sold it though because the action binding was pretty bad.

The one I have now is a new Sierra, out of the box it was shooting around 4" with all 3 types of Hornady ammo, they recrowned it and sent it back with a .600" test target. They also sent it back with a fucked up bottom metal that the "gunsmith" said was in spec. The pin for the hinge is either short or the bottom metal is out of spec and the pin walks to one side from use and falls out of the other side of the relief and it super sloppy and has already wallowed out the hole. I don't know how the hell they can consider that in spec because it's clearly not right. Either the gunsmith was an idiot and couldn't see the problem or that's the norm for them, either of which is pretty sad.

They also messed up the paint in the action inlet which was a blessing in disguise because it let me see just how terrible it was. I had already smoothed out the raised "webbing" overspray with emery cloth trying to get it to shoot but I didn't realize how uneven the paint was. I decided to remove the paint in the action area entirely and it was crazy thick in places. I ended up bedding it as well and I'm hoping to go shoot it tomorrow.

They're just sloppy with the building process, QC, and from the looks of it the repair process as well. I get that the chances of poor QC goes up when you're talking factory rifles but I've never experienced that with any other company except Savage. I've sent several of those back and unlike Bergara they didn't even repair them. I've owned dozens of R700's which are in the same price point and every single one has been a shooter, never have I had to send one in for any issue.

All 3 of them have also copper fouled miserably. In the first two even after hundreds of rounds it never settled down.

I hope I can get this Sierra to a point of satisfaction because I do like the rifle overall and intend to keep it, but I've bought my last Bergarbage.

the first 6.5 berg i bought sent back bur scratching lugs I talked to one of the gunsmiths about action screws lbs rifle shot .75 @1000yards the rest have shot well under 1moa if I had your exp with berg I would feel same way

Recent Posts