Building a Bergara

jgleas114

I am currently shooting a Bergara b-14 Ridge in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Meopta Optika 6 2.5X15 44mm. It's sub MOA at 100 with 143g ELD-X.

I think Ill start with new/used glass. (From Classifieds) Then I plan to move to a new stock > trigger> muzzel device. Am I think about this right ?

All depends on your goal for the rifle. Hunting, long range steel, tiny groups on paper? In general I would say a new build needs
Glass
Trigger
Stock/chassis
Muzzle device
Solid mid grade glass is fine for a long time until you see start feeling limited by it (so keep your glass). Go buy a triggertech special or diamond and shoot the crap out of the rifle until you identify what you don't like

I am currently shooting a Bergara b-14 Ridge in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Meopta Optika 6 2.5X15 44mm. It's sub MOA at 100 with 143g ELD-X.

I think Ill start with new/used glass. (From Classifieds) Then I plan to move to a new stock > trigger> muzzel device. Am I think about this right ?
I'd start by saying I'm not real familiar with bergaras but usually factory triggers have something to be desired, so I'd start with the trigger. The meopta scope is a great scope. And when I've put a bergara in my hand the stock felt good and if anything would benefit from being bedded.

It's really just the scope I have issues with. It's a second focal plane and the eye relief, I can't seem to get very comfortable with it. Also it has capped turrets.

The trigger isn't terrible. I shot a trigger tech diamond earlier this week and there is definitely a difference.

Last edited:
It's really just the scope I have issues with. It's a second focal plane and the eye relief, I can't seem to get very comfortable with it. Also it has capped turrets.

The trigger isn't terrible. I shot a trigger tech diamond earlier this week and there is definitely a difference.
Focal planes are definitely a personal choice, they each have pros and cons. All of my scopes are SFP, but I'm comfortable with them. Eye relief from their site says it is 3.9" which is the same as my night force. You may need to move your scope forward or backwards to get it setup for you

There is a lot of options for scopes. Price range would help.

But first thing I would do before you go spend a bunch of money. Find a comfortable shooting position for you, and loosen your scope rings. Put a target out about 25 yards. Put your scope on the highest setting, and move the scope back and forth until it clear. Then tighten the scope rings and shoot out at further distance. The scope might not be set up correctly. If a store put it on for you, then more than likely it's not set up correctly.

Set the diopter adjustment for your eyes and then shoulder the rifle with your eyes closed and the power set to the highest. Then open your eyes. If the scope isn't clear, no floating black ring, and aligned then it needs to be moved until you can do this and it is clear with no ring. I always try to push them as far away from the shooter as I can while also being clear and aligned.

I completely agree with what marksman1941 suggested. As for TT triggers I have both the Diamond and Special and I think the Special does what I want with a pull weight slightly less than one pound. The Diamond I ended up adjusting to about 3/4 pound to feel safe. So they a pretty close to each other.

Even though you are probably comfortable with the trigger as is, for best groups I would change the order of upgrades and do the trigger first. It just makes life simpler going forward. Small investment money wise for a better shooting experience. Muzzle device is low on the list if recoil is not an issue which with the 6.5 is unlikely. If you are going to shoot suppressed, probably need to move that up the list due to the wait times for approval. I like the recommendation of begara0256 and ntsqd as have seen many poor scope setups over the years. Again, a low cost item that can greatly improve position comfort level for the shooter.

I also failed to mention that I am moving my meopta to my 6.5 Grendel. It will be the rifle my wife and kids will use to hunt. I need to buy a second scope anyway. So my thought was to buy a FFP, 50 mm, exposed turret scope.

Given that situation, where you will be scopeless for this rifle, you might have to move the scope acquisition to the top of the list. Then you have to decide the power range that is appropriate for your use and distances you intend to shoot.

I also failed to mention that I am moving my meopta to my 6.5 Grendel. It will be the rifle my wife and kids will use to hunt. I need to buy a second scope anyway. So my thought was to buy a FFP, 50 mm, exposed turret scope.
I dont like a ffp for the kind of hunting we do. At low power the reticle is small and hard to see. If your hunting from a stand or blind you should know the ranges and can dial for longer shots if you want. Only advantage to ffp is hash marks are constant at all settings if your using the reticle for hold overs.