Bergara b14 hmr

duramac

I have a Bergara B14 HMR 300 Winchester magnum that I hunt with. I do not shoot long range maybe 500 yds, and the rifle is very accurate with factory loads. I am going to start reloading for this rifle, and if I start at just under mag length I still have a ton of jump. Is this something that I should worry about. I see some starting close to the lands, but if I get that close my bullet is at the end of my case, and would not fit in my magazine anyway. I really like this rifle and the gun shoots moa so maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

This will largely depend on your bullet. Some bullets like a bit of jump and some don't. It has been my experience with Hornady ELD/Amax you can have a little jump. Bergers don't seem to like much of a jump.
Accuracy trumps all. In my .308 and my 300wm I am way over the mag length so in essence I have a single shot rifle. I gave up extra rounds for the great accuracy I am getting. I can't rush a long range shot; if I missed, something is off and I need to fix it before firing again.

If your satisfied with your current accuracy I would not load past your mag length. One the great features of the HMR is the number of rounds you can carry in your magazine. What jump are you running with mag length?

One other point is the type of ogive you will be running in your chamber. You can go with Tangent ogive and they will be less sensitive to jump as a general rule. If you are mainly shooting inside of 500, you are really not needing a Secant ogive bullet.

Load them mag length and do not worry about chasing the lands as you have experienced already with factory ammo the jump will not hurt you.

Load them mag length and do not worry about chasing the lands as you have experienced already with factory ammo the jump will not hurt you.
Thanks everyone for your reply's. I think that's what I'll do just load to mag length sense it's shooting moa.
If your satisfied with your current accuracy I would not load past your mag length. One the great features of the HMR is the number of rounds you can carry in your magazine. What jump are you running with mag length?

If it shoots factory ammo very well you could always start at the same COAL (yes, I know it's a bit short) and start from there.
Figure out your charge and then fine tune the COAL.

Just a thought. I've done this before with some success.

Recent Posts