7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

OK Folks I recently did some trading with a member of LRH and i ended up with a 7mm stw in savage model 112 with a stainless 26'' barrel and a blued action with a synthetic stock and adjustible trigger. i have never seen one but it is a cool rifle . it has never been fired and i have not had a chance to take it out yet but i did do some home work and found that i cant load anything longer than 3.600 because of the magazine and if i load the berger 168 grain it would be a mile from the rifling . I think i measured it at 3.86 or somewhere right in there.
what would you guys suggest ?
I suggest trying a 140-160 grain seirra, barnes, or nosler with rl25 or retumbo (rl22 or h1000 could be good too) under it and a mag. primer. You may have to form brass from another belted mag at present as many places are out of stw brass. A couple of guys are doing well with the 154 hornady. I don't usually snuggle up to the rifling so I stay to the pills that don't care as much.

I suggest trying a 140-160 grain seirra, barnes, or nosler with rl25 or retumbo (rl22 or h1000 could be good too) under it and a mag. primer. You may have to form brass from another belted mag at present as many places are out of stw brass. A couple of guys are doing well with the 154 hornady. I don't usually snuggle up to the rifling so I stay to the pills that don't care as much.

Ditto what he said!

I'm going to re-barrel my 7wsm into a 24" length, want it to be a lightweight hammer with about a 130-55 grain bullet, like to keep it under 8lbs., with scope. What barrel contour and weight? I shoot it offhand and with sticks or kneeling sometimes, so I want it to balance too. Stock recommendations appreciated also. Action is a win mod-70 post 64. Shank length?

Ideas...

I'm going to re-barrel my 7wsm into a 24" length, want it to be a lightweight hammer with about a 130-55 grain bullet, like to keep it under 8lbs., with scope. What barrel contour and weight? I shoot it offhand and with sticks or kneeling sometimes, so I want it to balance too. Stock recommendations appreciated also. Action is a win mod-70 post 64. Shank length?

Ideas...
Ed,I would go with a Brux #1 .560at the crown and 2.5 pounds i think with a 2.25 shank if it was me still light but with a little meat too

finally had a chance to take my 7stw out and shoot it at 200 yards. i was really impressed. shot a 1.25" 3 shot group which was .25" tighter than what it shot at 100 yards. this is the first rifle i have had that actually got a tighter group at 200 than 100. now i just need to find more ammo.which is really a pain in the rear.

Well brotherhood, I have some extra brass. Buddy needed 7wsm brass, buddy #2 screwed up and bought 7stw brass!! I've got plenty (sorry for bragging=) so I have 40 pcs of brand new Remington brass. Buddy #2 paid $37.90 for with tax. I'm thinking split it up into 20 round batches so two guys can get some. $19 per 20 plus shipping in a USPS flat rate box

Black Sheep - I remember you are using the 168gr LRX. Other than the big bull elk you took last fall, have you shot anything else with it? I am wondering about terminal performance.

The only other one was my Utah cow elk. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f86/finally-utah-cow-elk-tag-filled-106750/
Well, that and a coyote! Since it was a meat hunt, I intentionally didn't drill her in the shoulder, and popped her right behind the point of the shoulder. Bullet went through and through, and she leaked what looks like 20 gallons of blood in the 40ish yards that she went before piling up. I think with the redesign Barnes did to get them to expand down to an advertised 1300fps makes them open up better on a body shot than maybe the TSX/TTSX did. My son shot his young cow elk right through the heart at 200 yards (if memory serves me correctly) with a 130gr. TSX out of my 270 WSM. She just tipped over, and didn't move. Needless to say, the heart/lung area was liquefied. So far I love the LRX, and I will be ordering the new .277 129? grain LRX's they just announced. They will go into the 270WSM.

Thanks Black, I have been hearing only good things about them. As it happens, I am planning on loading both the 7mm 168 gr and the .270 129 gr.

Lee and Wapiti Bob, Is that Brux able to take a good 3-5 shot group with out getting it's harmonics out of balance? brux does have a good name.

I could sell 2 50 round lots for $50 a piece , shipped if someone really needs some. It's new rem 7stw brass. I have a lot of ammo too, factory stuff in someone wants a few boxes. That and 7wsm ammo and brass, I've been stocking up for 2 years. I'd love to get some varget or br2 primers if someone wants to do some trading.

Lee and Wapiti Bob, Is that Brux able to take a good 3-5 shot group with out getting it's harmonics out of balance? brux does have a good name.
Ed,Those are great tubes and I really like that contour for a carry rifle its heavier than a standard sporter tube but not by much....it has the extra weight in the rite places and Im sure it will shoot the group your looking for without any problem