7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Lee and Wapiti Bob, Is that Brux able to take a good 3-5 shot group with out getting it's harmonics out of balance? brux does have a good name.

Ed, I just built a full Custom 280 on a #4 Brux barrel. I haven't picked ot up yet, but thought I was going to tonite. Anyway, with the 4 contour, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 3 shots in a group before the heat gets to it. I should know pretty soon.can't wait. I'll post some pix when I bring it home! Cheers!!

The only other one was my Utah cow elk. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f86/finally-utah-cow-elk-tag-filled-106750/
Well, that and a coyote! Since it was a meat hunt, I intentionally didn't drill her in the shoulder, and popped her right behind the point of the shoulder. Bullet went through and through, and she leaked what looks like 20 gallons of blood in the 40ish yards that she went before piling up. I think with the redesign Barnes did to get them to expand down to an advertised 1300fps makes them open up better on a body shot than maybe the TSX/TTSX did. My son shot his young cow elk right through the heart at 200 yards (if memory serves me correctly) with a 130gr. TSX out of my 270 WSM. She just tipped over, and didn't move. Needless to say, the heart/lung area was liquefied. So far I love the LRX, and I will be ordering the new .277 129? grain LRX's they just announced. They will go into the 270WSM.

Blacksheep, I'm glad to hear that the 168 LRX worked so well for you. I absolutely love the accuracy, and terminal performance of the 145 in my STW. I bought a box of the 168's, and tried them in my 7 mag, and I could not get them to stabilize. They went threw the paper ob long. I think the twist rate is the same in my STW's, and the seven mag. Maybe, as my partner Butterbean said, the added velocity will help send it true. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem taking a poke at a elk with the 145 as well as it is shooting, and I've seen what it did to a deer, and a 4 inch Northern Hydraulics catalogue. That LRX is a amazing bullet in any weight! I am sold on them!:cool:

Ed, I just built a full Custom 280 on a #4 Brux barrel. I haven't picked ot up yet, but thought I was going to tonite. Anyway, with the 4 contour, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 3 shots in a group before the heat gets to it. I should know pretty soon.can't wait. I'll post some pix when I bring it home! Cheers!!

Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your new baby when you bring it home! :)

Guys, I have told the story already to my silent partner, but I went to pick up my 280 tonite, which I thought was done. I have been waiting for a new box magazine, as the one from the blind magazine is different. Well, long story short, it ended up not being there. So I paid the balance,$37.00' and was about to leave, when the owner heard me talking, and said he has something HE thought I may be interested in. He goes out back, and walks out with a 700P, in 300 win mag, with Leupold one piece bases, and a Leupold VARI X II 4-12 scope. Excellent shape, dust in the front lenses. ( from sitting in the closet). I yanked the bolt, looked up the barrel, very crisp looking rifling. I said, How much, he said $ 850.00, and I said sold! So if you heard a gold horseshoe hit the floor, it came from me about an hour or so ago. Sound like a pretty good deal?
I've been wanting to try out some 208 A Maxes out on something, and I think I've found it!
PS, I know this is our STW site, but I just wanted to share it with the " Bros". All the best to all!

Guys, I have told the story already to my silent partner, but I went to pick up my 280 tonite, which I thought was done. I have been waiting for a new box magazine, as the one from the blind magazine is different. Well, long story short, it ended up not being there. So I paid the balance,$37.00' and was about to leave, when the owner heard me talking, and said he has something HE thought I may be interested in. He goes out back, and walks out with a 700P, in 300 win mag, with Leupold one piece bases, and a Leupold VARI X II 4-12 scope. Excellent shape, dust in the front lenses. ( from sitting in the closet). I yanked the bolt, looked up the barrel, very crisp looking rifling. I said, How much, he said $ 850.00, and I said sold! So if you heard a gold horseshoe hit the floor, it came from me about an hour or so ago. Sound like a pretty good deal?
I've been wanting to try out some 208 A Maxes out on something, and I think I've found it!
PS, I know this is our STW site, but I just wanted to share it with the " Bros". All the best to all!

****, I thought I was lucky but I guess not as lucky as you, Bob! :D

Congrats!

****, I thought I was lucky but I guess not as lucky as you, Bob! :D

Congrats!

Gamehawker, that will make two of those 700P's I have when I pick up that one. I also have one in Seven mag. I bought it about 2 years ago for $ 539.00. It belonged to the State police armory, and it got sold to the dealer who supplied them with it. ( that thing shoots out lites ). This 300 is every bit as nice. I am psyched! I am by nature a 7MM aficionado, but there are a few 30 caliber guns that intrigue me, and this is definitely one of them! Thanks!

Man, I wish I could come across some of the deals yall find......Geez. Well, if anyone has any old 700 standard actions (prefer jeweled bolt) laying around that they wanna get rid of, let me know. I need one for my .280 AI build I've been planning.

Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your new baby when you bring it home! :)

I will be proud to share both of them . I'll send Butterbean the pix, and have him post them for me. I suck at that. The 280 REALLY came out well. I left no stone unturned, right down to changing the hardware to hex head, instead to the slotted screws. This thing is going to be a sweetheart. I was originally going to use a laminated stock, but I went with the BC medalist, lite weight, which is the same stock Winchester uses on the Extreme model, and Remington uses on their Alaskan rifle. ( the same one RedHawk uses too). In fact, it came from RedHawks! Thanks again!

Bob, tell me what the total weight came out as, no scope. Does it feel like you could shoot it off hand? Shoulder well. I'm thinking the same stock as you and barrel for my 7wsm on a win70 I have. I'm staying with blind mag if I can. The other thought might be a mag that fits flush? Anyone know of someone that makes them for a win 70 push feed., 7wsm build? I need stock and barrel ideas. I have to re-read Butterbeans post but I thought he said #1 contour BRUX? That's quit a bit smaller than yours Bob.

Bob, tell me what the total weight came out as, no scope. Does it feel like you could shoot it off hand? Shoulder well. I'm thinking the same stock as you and barrel for my 7wsm on a win70 I have. I'm staying with blind mag if I can. The other thought might be a mag that fits flush? Anyone know of someone that makes them for a win 70 push feed., 7wsm build? I need stock and barrel ideas. I have to re-read Butterbeans post but I thought he said #1 contour BRUX? That's quit a bit smaller than yours Bob.
Ed, a #4 brux weighs 3.5 pounds a full pouund more than the #1 ......
contour.gif

Ed, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the BC stock is for hinged floor plate only in this configuration. Otherwise, I would have gone that route.
As far as the weight, given that it is a #4 contour, which is heavier then a Remington mag contour, but not as heavy as a Sendero, I " think" it is around 7-7.5 lbs. And yeah, they do make a push feed for the short mags. There is a left over Black Shadow, in 270 WSM at my gun shop. At least, I think it is the old push feed, but it could be the controlled round feed.
Yes, this rifle shoulders very well, and REALLY feels good " in hand" . I wouldn't have any problem with a off hand shot. That's the reason I went with the synthetic, over the laminated wood one. I am a sucker for laminated wood, but I opted the synthetic, with aluminum bedding block, which is always a plus. Enjoy the ride, custom guns are addicting!!!!

We're currently building two light weight mountain rifles in the shop right now, one in 280 AI on a Mod 70 push feed and one in 300 WSM on a Rem 700 action. Both are in extreme grade Walnut (stocks about $1800 each). The 280 AI finish weight with scope is 7 lbs, 8 oz. The Rem is finish weight with scope at 6lbs 10 oz. We were able to go with heavier contours but made the weight back up with fluting the barrel, action, and bolt. Both of them are BDL style as well. We went with a #4 Shillen on the 300 WSM and #5 Hart on the 280. We also shave some weight on the Winchester by milling angles on receiver in addition to the flutes. The bolt handles have been skeltonized as well. Titanium hardware saved weight here and there as well. The Winchester is also a case hardened action (yes we do that too). Both rifles got a set of custom SK scope mounts (no screws on the ring, slick setup), SK builds these mounts just for us as blanks and we do the finish machining work. Both of these rifles are going on Mountain Goat hunts and the customers had a set of wish lists requirements that took some engineering to get to happen but we made it happen.
The 280 AI is going to be featured in Rifle Shooter or Peterson's Hunting Journal, I forget which so keep an eye out for in the coming months.

Back to STW news I got my new barrel spun up on my action tonight, however the said 280 AI above stole my PTG bottom metal so I'm waiting on a replacement piece to show up next week and I should be out and shooting this thing by next weekend before blowing it back apart fluting the barrel and bolt and spraying it in DuraCoat.

Show us some pics of those fancy high-dollar rifles. I want my next build to be a .280AI. First step is to get a 700 action (pre-J) with a jeweled bolt.