7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks guys, I would like to keep the barrel below 3 lbs., so I'll call around with that graph Lee put up. Thanks... Fluting sounds like it would help. Bob, I already have the win 70 7wsm, I bought in on Gunbroker for 450, the Shadow version. I love the action, very slick and not too bad a shooter with the pencil on it. The stock is plastic though, so now starts the re build.

Ben, I always wondered about hardening an action, is it worth it? Mine is a late 2003 model.

It's a risk, not all actions (regardless of make) come of the case hardening without getting twisted and warped so we highly advise our customers that it's not a risk free endeavor. We haven't had one get ruined yet, but it could happen. It's purely an taste over function decision. Yes it does make the surface hardness higher (rockwell scale) over what the action was to begin with, but it's more for a different finish and add some nostalgia and class to the rifle/pistol. So to answer your question, it's worth it if thats the look you want to add to your rifle to make it different and something you don't see everyday. There's really no performance gain to speak or safety or durability benefits reasons behind doing this.

Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum and just as new to the STW. Read so many good things on the caliber since my brother turned me on to the idea of buying one. I am a reloader, at least on all of my common currently owned guns, such as my 6mm, 25-06 and 30-06, but wanted a flat shooting "big gun" to reload and toy with. So I bought one. It was a used custom job with a remington 700 action and a 26 inch hart barrel on it. I got an incredible deal on it, so I haven't invested a lot of money at all yet, and really don't intend to. So my question to you guys is this. I plan on primarily hunting with the gun in some open terrain in Nebraska, coyotes, deer etc, but would like to be able to set up and shoot some long range off a bench for fun. Could you guys help me out with a scope that will do the trick for both? I understand you get what you pay for, and have always just been a middle of the road guy on price range of scopes, such as the Nikon buckmasters or the Vx II. Have had great luck on all of my other guns with these scopes. But, I have never owned a 50mm objective and would like to try something with one of those out. Could you offer some suggestions without breaking the bank to serve my needs. Best bang for my buck if you will.....

Thanks again, appreciate it, and love hearing you guys' input on what I assume will be love affair with my new caliber!

Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum and just as new to the STW. Read so many good things on the caliber since my brother turned me on to the idea of buying one. I am a reloader, at least on all of my common currently owned guns, such as my 6mm, 25-06 and 30-06, but wanted a flat shooting "big gun" to reload and toy with. So I bought one. It was a used custom job with a remington 700 action and a 26 inch hart barrel on it. I got an incredible deal on it, so I haven't invested a lot of money at all yet, and really don't intend to. So my question to you guys is this. I plan on primarily hunting with the gun in some open terrain in Nebraska, coyotes, deer etc, but would like to be able to set up and shoot some long range off a bench for fun. Could you guys help me out with a scope that will do the trick for both? I understand you get what you pay for, and have always just been a middle of the road guy on price range of scopes, such as the Nikon buckmasters or the Vx II. Have had great luck on all of my other guns with these scopes. But, I have never owned a 50mm objective and would like to try something with one of those out. Could you offer some suggestions without breaking the bank to serve my needs. Best bang for my buck if you will.....

Thanks again, appreciate it, and love hearing you guys' input on what I assume will be love affair with my new caliber!
You cant go wrong with anything in the VX series be it II or III ...I have several VXII 3x9x50's that and several VXIII and IMO the II are just as good as the III And the 50mm bell really draws the light thats for sure You can get a VXII 3x9x50 for about $350 new and once again IMO thats the best thing going for the money and welcome to the Brotherhood it sounds like your gonna have a sweet rig

You cant go wrong with anything in the VX series be it II or III ...I have several VXII 3x9x50's that and several VXIII and IMO the II are just as good as the III And the 50mm bell really draws the light thats for sure You can get a VXII 3x9x50 for about $350 new and once again IMO thats the best thing going for the money and welcome to the Brotherhood it sounds like your gonna have a sweet rig

Hey thanks for the input! Is the 9 power magnification enough for me in your opinion?

Hey thanks for the input! Is the 9 power magnification enough for me in your opinion?
I personally would go a bit higher but it would suffice. I've got a 550 yard kill on my 338 win from back when it was wearing a vxII 2-7 lightweight. It was just fine... Just don't expect a $100 dollar chinese wonderscope to work at distance very well. You have to put some $$ into your scope. Check out some of the Weavers that Natchez has been selling if you want to go thrifty. Ettisll40 has a couple and may be able to steer you better than I can.

I personally would go a bit higher but it would suffice. I've got a 550 yard kill on my 338 win from back when it was wearing a vxII 2-7 lightweight. It was just fine... Just don't expect a $100 dollar chinese wonderscope to work at distance very well. You have to put some $$ into your scope. Check out some of the Weavers that Natchez has been selling if you want to go thrifty. Ettisll40 has a couple and may be able to steer you better than I can.

Thanks! Will check those out.

I have never been able to afford really top end glass, but have pretty much standardized on Leupold VX3. Would love to try the VX6 one of these days. For the STW I like the 14x magnification as a compromise on power vs weight & size. Never had a single problem with several Leupolds over the years. I have never regretted spending more than I could afford on a scope but have definitely had regrets with some of the cheaper ones. Then I wound up paying for the better glass anyway. My advice would be to figure out what the max is that you can afford and then go a little more. Buy once cry once.

I shoot long range on a weekly basis, but it depends on what your definition of long range is. To me long range is past 800 yards with most guns. I like to shoot between 900-2100 yds the most. The zoom ability on the scope has a little bit of effect on hitting targets, you need enough zoom to clearly place your shot on the target with the reticule, not just see the target. This all depends on your target as well. Yotes for an example, I do some serious varmint hunting and I can tell you that the more zoom you have (for distance) can make all the difference, however the bigger deal is the quality and clarity of the glass and more importantly the coatings on the glass. Parallax adjustment is a critical piece on a long range scope as well. Being able to adjust the parallax helps huge amounts on placing shots at long range. If you're shooting long range often, an exposed turret of some sort isn't required, but it sure does make it faster, easier, and nicer to run the turrets. If you're just a hold over shooter, then thats not a huge concern for you. Personally I own Vortex, Leupold(everything from a Vx-III to Mk6), Nightforce, and U.S. Optics, I do also have a smitt and bender but never use it, not a fan. In my honest opinion, the Vortex is the best optic on the market dollar for dollar and flat out, both my Viper's PST (1 FFP, and 1 SFP) are better than my Nightforce NXS on all aspects. I also run a Vortex Viper HS LR on my go-to varmint rig and it's a GREAT optic, everything you need to shoot long range. It's a 4-16x50, which for my tastes is a bit weak on max zoom, I prefer a 20x or greater, but again I place my shots, if I miss my point by more than 6" at 900 yds I'm ****ed. Being able to see and place 6" at 900 is hard to do with a standard style and reticule hunting scope (duplex of some sort). The price point on the Vortex's are great too. Don't shop around too much, Vortex prices are on MAP, so the price is going to be same every where you go. The 4-16x50 HS LR should run around $540, you can get the same scope without the turrets and reticule for around $450 as well. You can spend $2000 on a scope from Viper, but there's really no need in my opinion, their middle of the road Vipers will provide you with anything you need.
I've played the cheap optic game before, and it's bit me in the *** every time, learn from me if you can on that.

Vortex should pay me I swear, I sell a lot of their scopes after people shoot mine and play with it.

Thanks a lot for the information on scopes!
I am in the process of picking the components to build myself a great shooting STW.
Is there a go to guy you would recommend sending the components to for a great build?
I am wanting quality! That is not to say big $ but I am willing to pay for what I want, an EXCELLENT SHOOTER!
Thanks for any info that anyone can share.
:). gun)

I have a vx-ll downstairs that's an older 4x14x50, it's my 2nd favorite in the house to my 4.5x14x50 vx-3. The older vx-ll models are cheaper if you find one used somewhere, on Gunbroker or ebay, and the glass is superb. As always, they carry a lifetime guarantee, not sure if you need the original box? But Leupold is pretty good. I think you need to go to 6x18 after 500 yards to really get detail. Keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot for the information on scopes!
I am in the process of picking the components to build myself a great shooting STW.
Is there a go to guy you would recommend sending the components to for a great build?
I am wanting quality! That is not to say big $ but I am willing to pay for what I want, an EXCELLENT SHOOTER!
Thanks for any info that anyone can share.
:). gun)
SFR292(Ben) is gonna get my next build.....I havent talked to him personally other than on this site but my Brother 7stw has and he says he is good to go.....and thats all I need to know