7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

SFR292(Ben) is gonna get my next build.....I havent talked to him personally other than on this site but my Brother 7stw has and he says he is good to go.....and thats all I need to know

Make no mistake about it, after what I've learned through my 280 building project, my next build will certainly go to Ben @ Trails End Gunworks. I had the pleasure of talking to Ben, a week or two ago, and his partner, Steve, and I was very impressed with both their knowledge, and Professionalism. You know, " Hind site is ALWAYS 20-20". Well that is true in this instance as well. During this build, there were a lot of snags, that I think shoulda' coulda' been handled a little different, but at that point, I was committed.
Anyhow, Ben and his crew will be hearing from me in the near future. I've got a few things up my sleeve!

I've had more than a few rounds that wouldn't settle down at 100 and 200 yards but you get it out past 3-400 it tightens up and really does well. My long range 300 WSM load for example shoots 1.4" at 100 yds, but goes to 0.75" at 300 and at 700 yards shoots 2.5". All 5 shot groups, and if I do my job driving the bus.

I've done so much work to this rifle that the old pet loads weren't even relevant anymore. The load that shoots in this rifle now was developed back when I had a strain gauge on the last rifle in 7stw.
I'm so used to shooting floated pipes and digging them into the sandbags that I wasn't thinking about shooting a non-floated barrel and NOT being able to dig in.

Happy Easter to all the " Bros", from me and mine, to you and yours! Have a Great day, and don't eat TOO much Ham, and all the fixxins! ( yeah, right ).

PS, the new rifle shoots like a dream, and WAY exceeded my expectations on it's first day out! This Brux Barrel dosen't foul! But it **** sure shoots!

Happy Easter Lee and everyone. Say a prayer for our troops and sneak to the shooting range later or some fun.

God Bless...

Be safe!

I am loading some 280 bullets as we speak, and I'm going to take "Big Daddy Wabbit 7 STW Sharpshooter" out, so it can eat too!!! :DThe weather here today is PERFECT, so I'm taking advantage of it!
Picked up some " goodies" at a small gunshow yesterday!!!:) HEHEHE!

I've done so much work to this rifle that the old pet loads weren't even relevant anymore. The load that shoots in this rifle now was developed back when I had a strain gauge on the last rifle in 7stw.
I'm so used to shooting floated pipes and digging them into the sandbags that I wasn't thinking about shooting a non-floated barrel and NOT being able to dig in.

First off, Happy Easter to everyone.

When you say digging in, are you resting the barrel on the bags or the stock? I actually shoot the best off a bi-pod and rear squeeze bag I built myself. I couldn't find a bag built the way I wanted it so I went the fabric store and put one together and filled it with rice. My first attempt wasn't that great do to my lack of sewing skills so my wife bailed me out on the second bag.
Depending on the stock and barrel, some actually shoot better being bedded the full length of the stock rather than floated. 90% of our work is a "standard" bed and float whereas the rear of the action is bedded, the front, recoil lug and then out to about 1" forward of the chamber. I'm not saying this is the best way or the only way, but I am saying we have the best results doing it this way. Depending on the stock and action, it's quite common not to bed the rear of the action as well. I have two personal rifle my Grandfather built in the 50's that are full length Manlicher stocks (270 win on a 98K and a 308 NormaMag on a 03A3) that both improved by large amounts by doing a full length bedding.

On another note crowns are another huge place the gun can improve. I've taken a few guns that shot in the 1.5-2" range with what appeared to be a good crown, recrowned them and they tightened up to .5". Outside of physical damage or a rolled crown edge it's hard to see a bad crown without truing the bore up in a lathe and spinning it up and watching it. Again, this is just our way of doing things, but we center the bore to within 0.0005" run-out of true and cut a 90 degree crown with a target recess.

Remington offers the SPS in 7mmSTW. Mark's Outdoors in Birmingham,AL has 3-4 brand new ones sitting on their closeout special shelf right now for under $600. I almost bought one Friday when I was up there, just to have another STW. But I didn't have that much money on me at the time.