Your Ultimate 500 Yard Rig

You guys are shooting some super sounding rifles. I am still shooting a Mark 5 Weatherby in .270 WM that I bought almost 45 years ago. Shooting a 150 gr. Nosler Partition it has taken elk at over 200 yds, some antelope and a bunch of whitetail and I believe it would do well at 500. I am throwing this in just because I never see this caliber mentioned and I have been extremely pleased with it.
I rebarreled a rifle for a guy and he never paid me so it is still setting in my safe. Winchester Mod 70 push feed. Chambered in 270 Weatherby. Shoots great!

FN mod 70 CRF, proof , MCM A3 , 6.5 PRC.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.PNG
    IMG_2645.PNG
    167.3 KB · Views: 116
Having been first a 270 fan, later (40 years ago) became a 7mm Rem Mag fan, and more recently finally trying out the 280AI. That is one fine cartridge, gotta recommend it. Now that some factory ammo is available and factory rifles chambered for that cartridge, so much the better. Performance is very slightly behind the 7 Mag, less powder, non-belted, less noice and recoil

It will require a standard (long) length action. You can build a short action on the 7 SAUM and get identical velocities as the 280AI, another shooter recommended the 6.5SAUM. Another short action choice would be the 7-08AI, either a custom, or buy a factory and get the chamber opened up to the Ackley dimensions. With a lightweight rig, i'd Keep it 7mm or less for recoil. AND both SAUM cartridges are primarily a reloading situation

Looks like a long thread so I guess i'll keep it going. My vote is for my 6 lb 10 0z 28 Nosler hells canyon Speed, Hammer 143 gn bullets traveling 3650 fps topped with a light Zeiss 3-15X42 HD5 scope set up to shoot 1.5 high at 100, 2 high at 200, -3 low at 300 and 16 low at 500. I have the 28N, just not the zeiss but that's what I would have if I could.

You guys are shooting some super sounding rifles. I am still shooting a Mark 5 Weatherby in .270 WM that I bought almost 45 years ago. Shooting a 150 gr. Nosler Partition it has taken elk at over 200 yds, some antelope and a bunch of whitetail and I believe it would do well at 500. I am throwing this in just because I never see this caliber mentioned and I have been extremely pleased with it.
The 270 Wby is one flat shooter that receives little attention. For some reason, current fad overlooks 277 caliber in all phases, i use the 135 SMK for long range gong shooting. ( 1/2 mile. Is the limit of the range that is near me). I sometimes use bowing pins at that range

Bought mine in 1984 great accuracy, when I got ammo for it, liked Hornady 139's didn't like anything else. Found out a couple years ago the rifle only had .001 headspace to spare so I full length size for it, very simple. I load 140 Accubonds over max load of H4831sc, 3000 FPS +/-

Inspired by John Spadaro's thread found here:
https://longrangehunting.com/threads/help-chosing-an-elk-cartridge.211198/

What is your ULTIMATE rifle outfit for ~500yds on North American big game? Think packing WAY back/up in there with a shot of a lifetime on a trophy animal that has never seen a human.

Long/short action? Caliber? Action? Stock? Optic? Trigger? etc. Overkill is fine; what is your ULTIMATE dream rig for out to 500?
This is my choice: https://www.gunwerks.com/store/rifles/lr1000-65284-carb-db-rh-ti-sfp-f5357

Probably depends on what I specifically was hunting for cartridge. I think I would stay with 6.5prc for sheep, go up to 300wsm for Elk/Moose for a once in lifetime. Curtis vector, proof sendero barrels. I like my zeiss but would probably go for an X5 or AMG for a dream hunt.

Though, I've been daydreaming of a color case hardened APR action w/ a Russo burly maple stock and a wrought iron fluted barrel in something like 375 Ruger or 338RUM for an artillery/safari/kodiak island rifle this week.

I have been thinking about getting a Fierce Carbon Edge. It is about $1000 cheaper than a custom gun with a Defiance action and Proof barrel. How do you like the Fierce? Is it worth the money? Any negatives?

I like it. Allot. The action cycles smooth, quick, and positive. Definitely a plus over a Remington 700. Trigger is as advertised. Mine is adjusted at 2 pounds. At 7.5 pounds scoped, It's the Lightest 300 win mag I own. Closest second is my Christensen arms, at 8.5 pounds scoped.
Negatives? Not really any. Well, I'll be putting on a side discharge brake, if you don't shoot prone, the factory one is pretty good. Also, I bought my rifle with the 24" barrel on the 300 win mag. I wanted the 26" but there wasn't one available at my LGS. So that's on me for being impatient.

For about the same price, you could get one of Rifles Inc and be a full pound lighter. Full custom build, typically on Remington 700 or Winchester model 70, but he does have some rifles in stock ready to go. If I had it to do over I'd probably go that route. Especially if he had what I wanted in stock. You have to call for current inventory, they don't update their website that frequently. You should check them out.

Not sure what caliber you're after, but I like that the Fierce 300 Win mags are throated long, like as in perfect for the 215 gr Berger Hybrid Target. The only longer throat I've encountered in all my 300 Win Mag experience has been from Remington.
Of course, if you are wanting to shoot a lighter shorter bullet, that wouldn't be such a plus.

More a matter of developed precision ammunition and optics than rifle; these days.... For 500yd accuracy and much further beyond. Just about any rifle can deliver the goods with a decently capable cartridge.

A 77gr .224 Matchking at 500yds, started at 2700fps (standard service rifle load) will deliver more kinetic energy at 500yds than a factory 158gr .357mag from 8"bbl does at 25yds. Al Goerg used to hunt Big-Game with the first S&W .357... And the 77gr .224 smk is widely chosen for the 600yd slowfire, at least the AMU used it for every SR event for some years. So, used to be open sights at 600yds for SR...

Best performing ammunition and a scope that tracks true and is mounted precisely concentric with bore and you're set... Work with the match bullets until you have the skill and then move onto high BC hunting projectiles.

The big-boomer ctgs are always attractive, but... With a 500yd +/- range; unless hunting African or AK dangerous game; probably a detriment to getting "good" with your rifle. Saw an FN-H Police or Patrol rifle mentioned above; great choice! But, is a heavy varmint or palma match bbl contour needed? Probably not. Personally, would select a Sako TRG-S or Win 70 Classic if toting a magnum; but more likely a Win 70 in .30-06AI or .338-06AI; and I have both...

5 rds in the magazine, fp blocking safety, pushfeed or claw, 22 or 24 inch sporting barrel maybe a light varmint if already setup w/custom barrel. Basically you get almost magnum velocities with the AI shoulder using Heavy Bullets. Lots of mild loading potential with the 06 case, and 5 in the mag rather than 3.

200gr btsp in the .30-06AI, and something like the blue-tip 225gr Barnes in the .338-06AI or a 250gr Gameking. Plenty of velocity, great accuracy, and mucho energy delivery. With a hashmark or dotted reticle you can sight your mild loads or even cast boolit loads at close to moderate range and be good to go!

Thing about the Big Magnums, and why I ditched mine, is minimal flexibility. No such thing as a mild-load in the .30-378wby or any other .590 diameter case; maybe the .308 Norma, as it is a short-case design, but...

Probably best choice for all-around NA game smaller than elk is the .260rem... Always easier to acclimate to a round with lighter bullet and powder charge. 6.5mm is pretty proven on elk though, isn't it? So many choices and no more room in the gun safe(s)...

264wm would be the caliber. Running 142 LRAB....

You didn't say if we had to pay for it or not, but I would be thrilled to use my current 264wm as is....Savage long action, ER Shaw barrel sitting in a Chote stock, EGW base, Vortex bases with the 3x15 SFP SWFA scope.

Dream rifle that I'm not paying for; still going to stick with a 264wm because we are only talking 500yds.

Big Horn action, CF Proof barrel, GRS BIFROST stock, EGW 20 MOA bases, Vortex rings, CRONUS 4.5x29 56mm mil....

My dream hunt to go with the dream rifle...Dall sheep hunt in BC...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.