Your Personal RESULTS with custom long range HUNTING rifles built buy a PROFESSIONAL?

I have two custom rifles one built by JA Outdoors with a Proof pre-fit (Tikka action, first foray into custom builds nice rifle and a bargain in the custom world), one built by TS Customs who reams his own barrels and has stocks built to his specs (really, really nice rifle but double the cost of the first one) and I have built 3 rifles myself with the pillar bedding (Manners stocked rifles) done by a good local smith. After doing load development for each rifle you would be hard pressed to tell the practical shooting difference between them. They all shoot sub .5 MOA consistently.

With the precision quality components available these days with a few specialty tools (barrel vice, action wrench, go/no-go gauges) anybody who is somewhat handy can put their own rifle together. I built mine with BAT or Lone Peak actions, Benchmark or CarbonSix pre-fit barrels, TriggerTech Special triggers, Manners stocks, MDT or XLR chassis' and Hawkins bottom metals (for the Manners). Doing this yourself saves a couple thousand $ at a minimum. For example let's compare one rifle I built, pictured in the avatar. BAT Vampire action, CarbonSix barrel, Manners PH stock, Hawkins Hunter bottom metal, TriggerTech Special trigger, pillar bedded by a great smith. To build this rifle, with better parts, cost about half of what a Gunwerks MTX would cost you. Not to mention the satisfaction gained by successfully hunting with a rifle you built yourself with loads you developed yourself is immeasurable.

I have two custom rifles one built by JA Outdoors with a Proof pre-fit (Tikka action, first foray into custom builds nice rifle and a bargain in the custom world), one built by TS Customs who reams his own barrels and has stocks built to his specs (really, really nice rifle but double the cost of the first one) and I have built 3 rifles myself with the pillar bedding (Manners stocked rifles) done by a good local smith. After doing load development for each rifle you would be hard pressed to tell the practical shooting difference between them. They all shoot sub .5 MOA consistently.

With the precision quality components available these days with a few specialty tools (barrel vice, action wrench, go/no-go gauges) anybody who is somewhat handy can put their own rifle together. I built mine with BAT or Lone Peak actions, Benchmark or CarbonSix pre-fit barrels, TriggerTech Special triggers, Manners stocks, MDT or XLR chassis' and Hawkins bottom metals (for the Manners). Doing this yourself saves a couple thousand $ at a minimum. For example let's compare one rifle I built, pictured in the avatar. BAT Vampire action, CarbonSix barrel, Manners PH stock, Hawkins Hunter bottom metal, TriggerTech Special trigger, pillar bedded by a great smith. To build this rifle, with better parts, cost about half of what a Gunwerks MTX would cost you. Not to mention the satisfaction gained by successfully hunting with a rifle you built yourself with loads you developed yourself is immeasurable.
I agree, but there are lots of guys that build great rifles for way less then what you'd spend on a Gunwerks. I admire those that put their own rifles together, for their ability and for making the time to do it!

I do most of my gun work stuff to save money. I have many rifles with McGowen barrels, square off receiver ring & lap bolt lugs, no blue print effort, that shoot real good. I use mostly Richard's stocks, Timney triggers, Pachmayr pads that I attach with T25 wood screws. I don't like plastic stocks, preferring good walnut or laminate(plywood) stocks. I finish the wood stocks using Minwax Poly Rub - works real good and touch up repairs are easy. My rifles are usually used from pawn shops & other. I recently acquired a nice FN Mauser from Cabello's for under $325, it is now a .280 Rem. I used Brownell's Oxpho Blue to finish white bolt knob & extractor, looks OK but not as nice as hot blue.

IMG_1424.JPGIMG_1702 (2).JPG

IMG_2034.JPGIMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG
The last pic is my TH .22-.250 with a JK Cloward design stock. I inletted the stock from a rough carved & final shaped it. The forend is cherry from olde bedroom furniture. I use Burris Ruger/Weaver mounts with Burris Sig Z rings on my Ruger investment cast receivers, like shown above. No drill & tap but require high comb. Push feed, single shot, tossed Ruger magazine box, spring, follower, & floor plate. One of first M77 MKII's that were push feed, like enclosed bolt face, no rounds fed under extractor, .25X28 screw from Rem 700 in hole drilled & tapped thru bottom of flat receiver ring, tossed Ruger floor plate & angled front screw/bolt attachment. I also have another .22-.250 like this one but with a maple wood TH stock. Both with 7.7 twist, good for 1/2 mile, 1/2 gallon size rodents with 75 H ELDM bullets.

The stock on the 6.5 CM is sort of grotesque & looks funny but shoots real good & is comfortable to shoot for extended periods.

Last edited: