What does your long range hunting rifle weigh?

Your long range hunting rifle weight

• Total voters
For rifles built to take game over 600, what are they finishing at?

All up, scoped, with a full magazine/box. As you carry it in the field.

This is for rifles built to talk game at long range, not for 3-400 yard game rifles. Pictures are welcome :)
My 300 yard game rifle is also my 1,000 yard steel rifle and is also my sheep rifle...can I still vote?

My 300 yard game rifle is also my 1,000 yard steel rifle and is also my sheep rifle...can I still vote?
Up to you.

part of the point of it being rifles for long range hunting and not just hunting was that people may be looking for different weights and increased stability on rifles designed to be comfortable with 600+ yard cold bore shots where everything is on the line.

Would you trust your 300 yard sheep rifle on a 600+ yard cold bore on a dream hunt?

Keep in mind that this isn't for spot and stalk and definitely not for mountain hunts. This baby gets carried to the blind or stand only. At 21.4 lbs I would need a cart to carry this long distances. My back and knees aren't what they used to be. The Pelican case with wheels definitely helps when headed to the range! I really should just use this for bench only, but I love the 7mm RM so much.
M700-76 (R Profile New).jpg

21.4! The current record!

I have a rubber sling that has two straps you can use as a backpack that I use at prs match where I have to walk up and down a big hill. I bet that would extent your stalking range to 50+ yards!!! Lol

Keep in mind that this isn't for spot and stalk and definitely not for mountain hunts. This baby gets carried to the blind or stand only. At 21.4 lbs I would need a cart to carry this long distances. My back and knees aren't what they used to be. The Pelican case with wheels definitely helps when headed to the range! I really should just use this for bench only, but I love the 7mm RM so much.View attachment 456932

You have the wheels, and with your knees……have you considered adding a Briggs & Stratton? 😂

Seriously though…..a very nice rig, and you are aware of your limitations with it! May you enjoy many hunts with it! memtb

Last edited:
I've killed over 600 yards with a 8.5lb 28 nolser. The green rifle.

And also over 600 with a 9.4lb 300 Norma Mag Improved. The bronze rifle.

Weights are just rifle with optic. Not with bipod, sling or ammo.

This year I'll be hunting with an 11.4lb 300 Norma Mag Improved... and might regret it hahahaha.
View attachment 456384
View attachment 456386
Nice and glad to see you cut weight by kuiu.

Up to you.

part of the point of it being rifles for long range hunting and not just hunting was that people may be looking for different weights and increased stability on rifles designed to be comfortable with 600+ yard cold bore shots where everything is on the line.

Would you trust your 300 yard sheep rifle on a 600+ yard cold bore on a dream hunt?
Of course I would, and I have. I could get by with just one rifle...wouldn't even consider doing it, but I could.

Every rifle I have is a hunting rifle. I didn't build THE rifle for 300 yard shots, at sheep or anything else. I built a rifle I could grab and go after anything in North America except big brown bears and be comfortable shooting at game 600+ yards away. Out of several rifles, one gets the most work. Maybe I should call it the Cold Bore Miracle Rifle.

Of course I would, and I have. I could get by with just one rifle...wouldn't even consider doing it, but I could.

Every rifle I have is a hunting rifle. I didn't build THE rifle for 300 yard shots, at sheep or anything else. I built a rifle I could grab and go after anything in North America except big brown bears and be comfortable shooting at game 600+ yards away. Out of several rifles, one gets the most work. Maybe I should call it the Cold Bore Miracle Rifle.
If it's built to hunt at long range then go for it.

My criteria was simply set to give a concept of what weights and styles of rifles are preferred by the people who do it. Possibly as a case study of the differences between rifles built to kill at Lr vs rifles built to hunt generally or shorter ranges.

My range is broken into a 200-600 range and a 600-1000 range. I've noticed different trends in stock designs and weights showing up in which rifle "lives" where for me and it sparked my interest. My previous main rifle was designed much more like yours seems to be as a do anything 0-600+. I'm considering breaking that into 2 rifles with one built for longer stuff and one for medium stuff

Last edited:
This is my heavy, 11-2oz,338NM.Now has 5-25 mark 5,in spur.So might be few ounces more.The stock design and mag make it harder to throw to shoulder.But its real nice when flopped down with the 2# jewel.More my rig gun.I packed it 9 miles on day on this hunt. Tracked that bull into re- gen and after it stood out of its bed I shot at 40 yards.Kinda disappointing as I packed my bow many miles in earlier season.
PA290048.JPG

Mine would be too 🙌🏼. "Sheep Rifle" is such a funny term to me also. Any rifle can be a sheep rifle if you carry it sheep hunting lol. There's nothing especially difficult about sheep terrain compared to any other high country deer or elk hunt.

Neither my heavy gun nor my light gun are in the categories that most here are. My light gun is a 14.5# 7RM with everything except ammo. My heavy (used by my older son) is 16.5 w/o ammo, 338WM. This is what I used to go elk hunting in SW Colorado a few years ago. I recently used an 18#'ish rifle to go pig hunting in south Georgia on a nv & thermal spot and stalk hunt. Not the mileage, terrain or elevation of the elk hunt, but by the end of each night, my iPhone was still telling me 4-5 miles. My younger son uses my 6 creed set up for PRS when we are deer hunting. That weighs 21#10.1oz with everything including 5rds of ammo. He's young, so that gets to be a bit heavy for me to carry. But like the above individual with a 20+, it is only carried a few hundred yards.