What does your long range hunting rifle weigh?

Your long range hunting rifle weight

• Total voters
My 325 ism,Abolt-7.6oz,6.5 PRC-7.10 OZ,338NM 8.12oz.All have rail or bipod mount.I pack my atlas in pouch on hip band of pack
IMG_3369.jpeg

300 RUM. 28 in Bartlien Varmit countour barrel. Trued Rem 700 action. TriggerTech. Larger recoil lug. Luepold VX6 4x24x52. Stocky's thumbhole stock. 13.5 pds. w/o bipod , sling or ammo. I have other rifles that are long range capable that way much less.

Last edited:
Bultinkle - thanks for starting this thread. Very enjoyable. More power to the guys or ladies willing to carry a 12+ lb rifle on a hunt. I've got one that weighs 12lb (rifle and light weight scope) that I tried one time on a day hunt. It's a tack driver 7RM, but just made for an uncomfortable day in field. It only goes to the range now. Chasing light weight can be an expensive journey, but my old shoulders really appreciate it.

Yes, I think so much depends on how you're hunting. It's easy for us all to think through our glasses, how we do it, where we do it and what works for us.

As I mentioned in a different thread I've got a comp rifle that weighs out to 16.5 with a bipod built for a multi day rucking match and I'm seriously considering toting it in the field. Perhaps with a slightly slimmer barrel to get it down to 14 or so. I already have a spot I think it will be perfect for, where it can practically drive in and then watch a large field from a high area, but I understand that's cheating a little(lot) for saying I "carry" it haha. Easy access is one of the benefits of eastern private land hunting for sure

Yes, I think so much depends on how you're hunting. It's easy for us all to think through our glasses, how we do it, where we do it and what works for us.

As I mentioned in a different thread I've got a comp rifle that weighs out to 16.5 with a bipod built for a multi day rucking match and I'm seriously considering toting it in the field. Perhaps with a slightly slimmer barrel to get it down to 14 or so. I already have a spot I think it will be perfect for, where it can practically drive in and then watch a large field from a high area, but I understand that's cheating a little(lot) for saying I "carry" it haha. Easy access is one of the benefits of eastern private land hunting for sure
Same here, I carry to my set up area and watch the fields and hillside around me, I use a tripod. My walking and stalking guns weight around 6.5 to 11lbs. 👌

Bultinkle - thanks for starting this thread. Very enjoyable. More power to the guys or ladies willing to carry a 12+ lb rifle on a hunt. I've got one that weighs 12lb (rifle and light weight scope) that I tried one time on a day hunt. It's a tack driver 7RM, but just made for an uncomfortable day in field. It only goes to the range now. Chasing light weight can be an expensive journey, but my old shoulders really appreciate it.

Agreed, really fun thread.

When it comes to packing rifles there are a couple of tricks I've picked up from members here along the way.

Some guys use a biathlon sling for their rifle, which is basically a backpack. This is great way to go if you can travel light and fit necessities into a waist pack, but I have found preference for a day pack myself.

With this in mind, the Kifaru Gun bearer was a game changer for me. Allows for carry of a rifle handsfree, but accessable, should the need arise... Other manufacturers have variations of this system too, and it's a great way of getting the weight of the rifle onto ones hips.

When it comes to slings and chunky optics, I couldnt believe the difference flush cups can make. By attaching the sling to the side of the rifle, it brings the scope a lot closer to the body and really lessens the perceived weight, simply by bringing the load closer to one's own center of gravity.

I chased the ultralight dragon for a number of years, but scared myself with a couple of marginal shots on game. The level of fitness and discipline required to shoot those ultralights well is seldom touched upon... I still have a .308 win that is under 7lbs loaded, but I now consider it a 300yd rifle (in my shaky hands).

I find myself going the other way these last few years - each new build weighs a little more than the last, trying to strike that balance of portability and shootability!

Last edited:

bulltinkle, very valid points! We all have our opinions/views on what "we" perceive as "hunting"!

I grew up spending hours on foot hunting in areas were 100 yards was a long shot. I then moved to Wyoming, married a girl that loved hunting and we would often cover 5 or more miles in the mountains during a day of hunting!

Our hunting areas are a mix of wide open country to heavy timber/brush.…..all in a day's hunt! Obviously, rifle weight was of concern for carrying comfort. It was our desire to have rifles/cartridges for medium long range use…..as was the need (desire) have scopes that would work well in timber hunting!

As we are "one gun hunters"…..we made what we thought was the best compromises between weight, cartridge power, and scope selection. I didn't enter my wife's rifle weight into the poll, as she limits her shots to 500 yards….but, hers comes in at 8# 15 ounces "all up"! We're both using 3.5-10 Leupold CDS scopes, to give some improved usage on the tighter stuff…..without huge sacrifices on the longer shots! As our long shots are pretty close by the standards of most of the folks here! memtb

Just one?😩
No can do!
I use 4 rigs depending on the needs.
All weights with bipods and the scope coat cover on the rifle. Rounds weight included
Only thing not included would be the solo hunter rifle cover I use when hunting. It weighs 6.8 oz.
View attachment 456430
7RBH (338 NM/7mm imp)
12lbs7.2oz , 3 rounds View attachment 456435
338 RBH
(338 NMI)
12lbs7.8oz, 3 roundsView attachment 456432
7saum
11lbs7.6oz, 3 roundsView attachment 456433
243ai
10lbs2.7oz,4 roundsView attachment 456510
Beautiful flag picture!

Attached is a photo of my heavy long range rifle (along with my cattle dog Dakota that just had to be in the photo). It is a 338 CheyTac Improved (ie, 338 SnipeTac) with a 30" Brux 9.5 twist barrel on a Stiller TAC 408 action in a (highly modified) McMillan stock and with a Nightforce 8-32 NXS scope. It weighs in right near 16# and is in my avatar picture with my 1050 yard elk. It is a bit heavy but it really works for long range hunting where a long shot may be the norm.
Doesn't work without the dog.

We where up at snow line at daylight.We like to hunt top down if we can.This heart grizzly area no trails, not fun.We saw 6-8 bucks this day,raghorn in the ''no pack out zone'' I almost called him up to saddle. And I rolled a big black bear of the backend at 600+ w/ 325wiz bang.My kid a pup here
WP casc.JPG