What does your long range hunting rifle weigh?

Your long range hunting rifle weight

• Total voters
To each their own in hunting styles. I do my best to get away from roads and people when I'm hunting. Although their is a price to pay if I shoot a deer off the beaten path. I'm really selective if there is a mile or more haul back to the truck. Most of the public land I hunt limits a significant amount of the area to foot traffic only.
Well reality is that in many seemingly remote places you arent very far from some type of a road. Id say that most places would be no more than about a mile or even less.
In many places including PA. most of the roads through those areas have been gated off, meaning foot traffic only.
Mind you, the day will come when your opinions on lots of things will change.
But meanwhile enjoy it however you like.

Well there are places, especially in the mountainous areas of the east, where the hunting is done from permanent locations.
And the gun is carried only for short distances from the vehicle to the location. Therefore weight becomes less of a factor.
Also in PA. for example, it is legal to shoot across traveled roads, even major roads, provided you are well above the line of traffic. So that opens up more places for long range hunting, as well as access to them. It is also legal to set up and hunt long range from the shoulder of a road, even well traveled paved roads, so long as you dont shoot across it from that level. Years ago it was quite common to see that being done, especially on and along the dirt mountain roads.
Today most serious long range hunters will find a wide shoulder to park, then climb uphill a ways and make a spot to glass and shoot from. There will be far less hassel from others by doing that. But again, there is only a short distance to the location from a vehicle.
And not only is there a gun, but there will also be a portable bench of some type to shoot from, as well as each person having a set of large binoculars, mostly twin spotting scopes in brackets, and a tripod to mount them on.
So a person having an 8# gun and a pair of 8x42s hanging from his neck while walking around looking for a target to shoot at isnt how a large percentage of long range hunting is being done. And more and more that includes western long range hunting also.
This is definately not the case for backcountry hunting out west.