Wy antelope unit 53 ? ( Baggs )

DanMan

I am looking at a few different places for a DIY goat hunt in 2012. Anyone here with experience in WY unit 53 ? Was wondering about quality and number of animals, how much huntin pressure, public access, camping, et.
Thanks. Dan

Dan, I hunt 53 in past years and there were antelope, and some nice bucks..then for a few years they really took a hard hit in the winter...the deer in that area are still far below normal..a good area for what you want, but I would say tough to draw due to low numbers of permits...any unit with lots of public land is a bear cat to draw...

In 2011 it took 4 preference points to draw unit 53 for sure, If someone applied with no points there were 2 tags available and around 175 first choice applicants.

Tuff draw any way you slice it but it is pretty country IMHO.

I checked the WG&F site and your right about needing 4 points in 2011. I had been looking at Eastman's MRS from early this year and 2010 2 points would get it. I have now noticed a reduction in tags for the unit in 2011 though.
Me and my wife both have 2 points each so I will probably have to look elsewhere.
Got any suggestions?:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.