With the rem 700 no longer being made what your action of choice for your long range rifle ?

Hey everyone likes what they like. Id honestly say the M77 as it left the factory is a better action that the 700. I think the 700's just took off because they were cheap and people weren't scared to whittle on them. Same phenomenon can be witnessed in glocks and Chevrolet 350's. Ease of modification isn't necessarily an intrinsic characteristic to a quality product. If tikka offered stripped actions I think they would've overtaken Remington a good while back
you will not see any ruger actions on a match line or on the bench rest line they are just what they are built for a factory hunting rifle not much more they are trying now to catch up some. Remington 700s have been around for a very long time befor all the custom actions hit they were the go to for benchrest shooter in the late 60s a lot of them were sleeved to make them more ridged with a flat bottom for bedding I have a short action bench gun rem 700 done that way 6mm I think it was done by the heart boys out of PA

you will not see any ruger actions on a match line or on the bench rest line they are just what they are built for a factory hunting rifle not much more they are trying now to catch up some. Remington 700s have been around for a very long time befor all the custom actions hit they were the go to for benchrest shooter in the late 60s a lot of them were sleeved to make them more ridged with a flat bottom for bedding I have a short action bench gun rem 700 done that way 6mm I think it was done by the heart boys out of PA
I get it but you also see more Glock 17 holsters in LEO holsters than Staccato pistols. Being prolific doesn't mean superior. There were also some model 70 actions shot in BR and they were competitive. A straight action is a straight action. Rem 700's are just easier to work on. You can keep beating this dead horse or look at all the custom and nice factory options out there that have integral recoil lugs, integral scope based or mounts, and more than a wee little paper clip extractor. Remington 700's obviously work but they came on the scene as a budget rifle not a game changer in terms of performance

The Remington 700 was designed by a benchrest shooter. They're the most copied action in the world and it's not just because they're easy to work on. Winchester Model 70s were shot in competition by old timers who used them before the 700 came out. The Ruger isn't some amazing action that everyone just happens to overlook. It's a great hunting rifle, but that's about it. Don't make it into something it's not. There's more to the Remington than it being cheap and easy to work on. Custom action makers wouldn't be investing thousands and thousands of dollars and hours and hours of time perfecting the 700 design if something else was superior.

The Remington 700 was designed by a benchrest shooter. They're the most copied action in the world and it's not just because they're easy to work on. Winchester Model 70s were shot in competition by old timers who used them before the 700 came out. The Ruger isn't some amazing action that everyone just happens to overlook. It's a great hunting rifle, but that's about it. Don't make it into something it's not. There's more to the Remington than it being cheap and easy to work on. Custom action makers wouldn't be investing thousands and thousands of dollars and hours and hours of time perfecting the 700 design if something else was superior.
Remingtons are popular because they're cheap and easy to true. The aftermarket was born of this and other MFG's took advantage of the existing aftermarket by sharing the 700 footprint. This isn't classified. If what you say is true you better call Sako, Surgeon, AI, and anyone else out there making flat bottom actions and tell them they're missing on on the round stock revolution 😂

Remingtons are popular because they're cheap and easy to true. The aftermarket was born of this and other MFG's took advantage of the existing aftermarket by sharing the 700 footprint. This isn't classified. If what you say is true you better call Sako, Surgeon, AI, and anyone else out there making flat bottom actions and tell them they're missing on on the round stock revolution 😂
They're no harder to true than any other action. I get it, you dislike Remington's and everything else that's different than what you have. Plenty of other actions could have caught on and became popular but they didn't. Remington built a better action for accuracy than Sako, Winchester, Ruger, Mauser, etc. You can continue arguing this, but the only people that build on a Sako, Ruger, Winchester, etc are old timers or those who just really like the action they have. No one is telling you you can't get good accuracy or have a good rifle from a Ruger or anything other than a Remington. I'm saying the Remington is a better action from an accuracy standpoint and it's easy to manufacture. Being cheap and easy to make isn't a bad thing?

They're no harder to true than any other action. I get it, you dislike Remington's and everything else that's different than what you have. Plenty of other actions could have caught on and became popular but they didn't. Remington built a better action for accuracy than Sako, Winchester, Ruger, Mauser, etc. You can continue arguing this, but the only people that build on a Sako, Ruger, Winchester, etc are old timers or those who just really like the action they have. No one is telling you you can't get good accuracy or have a good rifle from a Ruger or anything other than a Remington. I'm saying the Remington is a better action from an accuracy standpoint and it's easy to manufacture. Being cheap and easy to make isn't a bad thing?

It actually sounds like you only like what you own. Remingtons are fine I have owned them. To me it's more of a function of I have shot lots of different guns with lots of different feature sets. If a gun was straight out of the box I didn't see a need to modify. My first Remington needed lots of straightening

The argument on not having resale value for a 700 action holds true for any custom anything. I see custom rifles for sale here all the time claiming $5000 to build will tale $3500 or best offer. If you build it to sell.....I think that's a losing proposition.

The argument on not having resale value for a 700 action holds true for any custom anything. I see custom rifles for sale here all the time claiming $5000 to build will tale $3500 or best offer. If you build it to sell.....I think that's a losing proposition.
I agree with this. I think the best thing to do is build the rifle exactly how you want if your budget allows. Then if you get bored of it, you can have it rebarreled or restocked.

I just don't like the way the savages bolt .I like the smoothness of the old ruger 77 tang safety rifles .I do like where the safety is on the savage .I already had problems with both of the savage model 10 rifles I bought they are built pretty cheap .The bolt stop broke on one And the other one won't hold the clip in .I have always been a ruger 77 guy I hate the ruger American rifles they are junky to me too .I have used my 338 win mag ruger 77 35 years no problems except for busting scopes and throat wear . They are smooth as butter and totally reliable .
You can take the Savage bolt apart and rework the camming surface for the cocking mech. to make it much smoother. If I remember correctly, I may have also adjusted the spring. Also, if you swap stocks, going to a BDL with AICS style mags., you need to relieve the lips on your mags as the Savage receivers have material that prevents your mags from seating, they need to go about an 1/8" deeper. IMO the Savage BDL mag.s are unsat (capacity) & super expensive. Dealing from memory here, I did the work several years ago and put the Savage action in an MDT chassis. Also swapped the trigger for a Timney.

Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated.