Is my choice the most effective 223 bullet for longer range?

johngibbs222

All my rifles are hunting rifles and I'm finding that my 223 doesn't get used as much as it deserves.
It's a Ruger #3 in 223 and as far as I can tell it's got a 1/10 twist rate on its 22" barrel. Using military silhouette targets I can get 100% headshots from a rest at 300 yards with it and "most" of the time body shots at 400 yards but that's with a 6X scope and 50 grain barnes VGs. I'm 80 this year btw.
It's accurate enough for what I need but I'd like to be able to use it on the longer ranges that I can shoot on, these go up to 1100 yards but I've no illusions about either my abilities or the ability of the 223 in this direction so I guess 600 will be my limit.
I've considered having it rebarreled with a 26" or 28" barrel and hence my query. Bearing in mind I'm in the UK and supplies of really heavy 223 bullets is limited I would like to be able to say when I get the gun rebarreled I'd like a specific twist rate.
The shop that does the work guarantees 1/2 MOA or better accuracy which is better than I'm achieving right now and the cost, here, is about 60% of a dedicated bolt gun for this use.
It looks like 62 and 69 grain bullets are easily obtainable so I'd like to come down on the 69 or 70 grain barnes product as I've used their products in my 223 and 308 with complete satisfaction.
The rub is Barnes recommend a 10" twist or faster for the 69 grain bullet yet an 8" twist for the 70 grain one.
So I've explained my SP and ask the question are either or both these bullets effective and should I specify an 8" twist or should I look elsewhere, given the constraints of supply, hornady, speer and sierra products are reasonably obtainable as are most European product lines OR should I cut my losses and specify a 6.5 Swede instead?
Obviously I'll fit a more powerful scope whe the job is done.
At the risk of appearing ungrateful, I'd prefer to hear the voice of experience, I can venture into cloud cuckoo land with the best o_O.

I guess it would come down to what you have available for bullets. Keep in mind that a monolithic will require a faster twist rate than a cup and core bullet of the same weight due to its length. I love shooting the heavy bullets in 223. I have a 1/7 twist 223 bolt gun that will easily handle the high BC 80 through 90 grain 22 cal bullets that are available. It also shoots the lighter bullets very well. The only issues I have had with the 7 twist is with the very thin jacketed Hornady SPSX bullets coming apart due to rotational stress at over 340,000 rpm. If you want to stretch out your 223, get a faster twist barrel and also have it throated for the longer bullets to maximize powder capacity. My 1/7 twist bolt gun is throated to seat the 88gr ELD-Ms with the base of the bullet right at the shoulder/neck junction. Good luck with whatever you decide to try!

If you can get a 1:7 barrel that would be my suggestion. My 22-250 AI has a 1:7 and I can shoot from 40 gr up to any of the heavies with great accuracy. I have to load the 40's down as they can reach over 4400 FPS and 1 out of 3 were breaking apart exiting the barrel. The 50 gr Nosler BT have been my go to for coyotes and bobcats as I get 4190 FPS out of them and they are almost single hole at 100 yards.

With a good optic you will have no issue at 600, and with the right bench and rest, with a crisp trigger 1000 yards will be in your wheel house. Good luck and keep up updated.

Roger

Attachments

• 22250ai.png
    22250ai.png
    286.6 KB · Views: 19
I agree. 1K is entirely doable with heavies with a 223. With the right load and rifle, you can keep the 88 ELD-M supersonic out to 1000 yards. As far as challenging yourself, I say go for it! No reason you shouldn't. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Putting rounds on steel at 1K is very gratifying. Nothing more fun than taking new shooters out, teaching the basics of breaking a shot cleanly, then going hands-on and letting them make the shot successfully. We took some young gals and guys out a few years back, some of whom had never shot before. We had them hitting the 12x18 steel every shot with my 223 Encore pistol at 547 yards, then broke out the 243 and 6.5 CM rifles and every one of them hit the 18x24 steel at 1027 yards on their first or second shot with multiple follow-up impacts. They had a blast. No reason you shouldn't too.

I have a 22-250AI with 7" twist and I run either 77g or 85g Nosler RDF bullets mostly, but have run 69g by a few companies, which is what a 10" twist should handle.
I shoot next to a guy running a 5.56 NATO and he runs 69g to 600 without issue. I have run mine to 1000 but not regularly.

Cheers.

If your staying at 600 yrds any bullet will work .
If your going passed, i have had the best luck with 70 gr berger and 73 gr eld's
Both offer top bc in class and the best medium for fps vs bc gain .
I shoot them to 1000 out of a long barrel gas gun , so 80 gr bullets to long to fit in mag.
It was alot of work narrowing down a powder with a sm SD and high enough velocity to get there super sonic.
The spead in velocity realy shows up passed 700 when the bc is half what the bigger dia bullets offer
Vertical stringing is the problem to overcome .
Im fairly happy with what i have set up now. But id never do it again .
Id stay at 700 with 223 and buy a 6mm or 6.5 mm catridge to enjoy farther down range. Low recoil to see hits ,less money on components vs 7mm and larger cartridges..

Mikecr, I don't object to efforts to crush my morale, it's all part of life's rich tapestry. I hope you make it to 80 then you'll realise what a dickhead you were :rolleyes:.
I appreciate all the comments, good or bad, it all helps to focus the mind.
I'm pretty sure I'll not get to try ranges over 600, that particular site is given over to Ukrainian training regimes for a great deal of military exercises in addition to sniper's practice. but I am improving, slowly.

If I were to rebarrel my .223, I would go 1:7". This will work with 50-90gr bullets very well. The 69 & 77 SMK/TMK will love the 1:7". I shoot my 24" 1:8" .223 running a 69SMK @ 3033fps. 800+ yards is very doable with mild winds.

The bcs on monos will be terrible for trying to get a 223 to 1100 yards. Definitely look at the sleek 70+ gr lead core bullets, and that means your going to need at least an 8 twist, and probably a 7 if you're going to go over 80 gr bullets with the 223. Since there are no downsides to the faster twist, just make it a 7 and be good.