Why not that much interest in the .270 Ackley Improved?

When did Ackley start making his wildcats?

Back in the 50's Verne Junke at Saturn Arms in Reno was chambering the 270 AI, but he was calling it the 270 ICL.

My dad had one built off a Mauser action. Very snazzy rifle for the times.

It shoots great, extremely accurate. 1/4" groups were possible if you did your part.

I still have a box of original ammo from the 50's.
That is a very stylish Mauser! ❤️‍🔥

Well I'm not the only one. My buddy on here has the other one. Hopefully he will chine in.
I'll think about it haha

More relevant to the op I did originally have a 270 Sherman also which has a slight capacity gain over the AI but not a whole lot. On a standard bolt face it is quite the cartridge as I'm sure the AI also is.

As someone else said about it matching a 270 weatherby there is no way it will.

And another said there is no way a 270 ai will keep up with a 280 ai in the same weight bullet they are also wrong in my opinion.

I'll think about it haha

More relevant to the op I did originally have a 270 Sherman also which has a slight capacity gain over the AI but not a whole lot. On a standard bolt face it is quite the cartridge as I'm sure the AI also is.

As someone else said about it matching a 270 weatherby there is no way it will.

And another said there is no way a 270 ai will keep up with a 280 ai in the same weight bullet they are also wrong in my opinion.
If you are going to improve a case….might as well Shermanize.

The safe pressure issue is the sticking point. There is absolutely no magic potion of less powder more velocity, without an accompanying pressure. Case dimensions and modern brass seem to cover what would have been a multitude of pressure sins.

Have buddies convinced they found the mythical ackley that does... ya know the ones that run two or three case clases below and "equal" velocity. Can't really apply 1950s brass wives tales with modern primers, brass and actions. Doesn't take away from the fact that lapua and adg brass appears to be able to last even at elevated pressure settings. Wildcats and "safe" in the modern context are a tough one, just so much saftey in a modern action and components.

3300 would be hauling for a 270 wsm, that runs at a higher established pressure with 8 grains more case capacity on the 270 ai. 3100 is still pretty fast, having shot out a couple 270 wsm barrels that would be scooting for a consistent all weather 150 load. Brisk load would be my thoughts.
Once a cartridge, bullet and barrel are selected, velocity is determined by pressure. Not the peak pressure to be sure, but an "effective" pressure that is the average pressure as gotten from integrating the time trace of pressure over the time the bullet is in the gun. To get higher velocity within these contraints, you must increase the "effective" pressure. Controlled burn rates offered by modern powders allow a higher "effective" pressure within the same peak pressure bound. The shape of the cartridge case internal volume can effect the burn rate, but by far the greatest gain for the AIs came from being able to pack more powder in and driving pressure up. With modern steel, actions will withstand the higher pressures; the case/primer becomes the weak point. AIs also gave improved case life and lower growth rates. Old lever action cartridges like the .30-30 and the .348 Winchester get great returns from the AI treatment, but feed reliability may suffer and only modern steel rifles should be used. The 35 Whelen as it stands is supposed to be one of the most efficeint cartridges out there. Weatherby's line before the .378 were essentially AI cartridges with a different shoulder treatment.

I built a 270 AI last year and have been happy with it. I use a 280 AI bushing die, 280 AI brass with a smaller bushing. Alex Wheeler chambered it with a reamer based on that with a 170 Berger. I'm at 2945 fps with a 24" Krieger barrel. That bullet has the same BC as the 7mm 180 Berger. You don't have the bullet selection as the 7mms but performance is equivalent to the 280 AI and it's got the nostalgia of the 270.

270's & 270 Ammo Everywhere! Everywhere there is 270! Long gone are the surplus stock piles of large ammo manufacturs 270 once seen on the shelves. Today's 270 ammo is priced much higher than previously seen on store shelves nationwide. So where's the advantage of the 270 Winchester now? Today's hunters are leaning more and more towards all copper selections that most new designs than previous lead bullets. So lets have a look and a quick comparison to lets say the average white tail bullets that might peak interest. Barnes lists the "Tipped TSX" 130 grain bullets with a BC of .392 and a total OAL of 1.322". Hmm not very long uhh.. how about the 129 grain LRX long range projectile listed as t .463 requiring only a normal 1 & 10 twist barrel to stablize..... Compare that to the 6.5 mm offerings like the Tipped TSX 120 grain at only .412 BC. We see today's copper bullets the 270 Caliber has a firm hold and is not being outdone. I'd say the 270 Winchester Ackley Improved is still a very viable Hunting Cartridge to be reckoned with.