Why not that much interest in the .270 Ackley Improved?

I learned the value of "one hole" and I stopped chasing velocity around a decade ago.
This is the sole reason why I developed my 416 Rigby Improved cases, they give me the desired ballistics in the action I chose to use. Trying to shoe horn a cartridge into an action is foolish. Sure I could have shortened the cases, but seeing that I can eject loaded rounds, single feed and have CRF to boot, this was my choice. No point trying to push a smaller cartridge harder…
All of these 338LM, 338NM & RUM came about after I did these. I built a 338Edge, but with my solid brass ELR bullet it just didn't cut the mustard.

Cheers.

I'm a huge 270 Win an 270 Weatherby mag fan ! I have great regard for the 270 AI but I guess for the hunting I do , the 270 win for most of my deer hunting and the 270 Weatherby Mag when the ranges are expected to be 300 yards or more just seemed to do what I wanted done ! I suppose if you had to have one rifle for deer ,antelope and elk ,a 270 AI .with an 8 twist would be a good choice !! 130 Grn Ballistic Tips;150 grnABLR and 170 grn Bergers could be good bullet choices !!

I keep asking myself the same question, curious if the readers on the forum would provide some answers. I am a fan of the .270 Ackley Improved. From my stand point it is a great cartridge that is a great round for hunting whitetail deer and game of the same size and category. I always look for any information/articles referencing this cartridge, yet there really is not too much information relating to the cartridge. I recently contacted the folks at HANDLOADER Ammunition and Reloading Journal. When I asked the personnel there about any articles relative to the .270 Ackley the representative said he would look into past articles. He came back only to tell me that they only made reference, way back in 1990, to the .270 Ackley Improved "magnum", and no articles "at all" in reference to the .270 Ackley Improved. This cartridge bridges a number of cartridges, including the high-speed 26 and 27 Noslers, runs along the same ballistics of the 7mm RemMag and the .270 Weatherby magnum or better, only using a lot less powder. Yet... none of the big-gun manufacturers have given it any interest of mention. I have experience with two rifles that we had made a number of years ago using 26 inch, 1:10 Lilja barrels. I know there are some hard-core followers of the .270 AI who have rifles with 1:8 twist barrels who are hurling the heavy, high BC bullets and who are very happy with the round. We get between 3100-3300fps with 150gr Nosler ABLRs, and the rifles are tack drivers. The 3100fps seems to be in the node for our particular rifles, and... the brass seems to hold up better than the 3300fps load. I consider this round to be like a .270 WSM/6.8 Western on steroids. Although these rifles have been around for a number of years now, we have only now started to play with the 130gr and 140gr bullets. From what I remember P.O. Ackley stated that the .270 Winchester cartridge was already too overbored to bother improving, but...that was many years ago and there has been a tremendous amount of improvement to the many powders that are out there and available. I am just curious about what other readers thoughts are on this subject? I have posted an older photo that I have posted on the forum before just for reference. We call our rifles "two shot" rifles because the barrels are profiled after the original Ruger 77 barrel contour. After two shots the shots start to open up, so we stick to the two-shot groups.
I love 270s and when I built my rifle, I opted for the 270 Sherman. Will you A.I. folks allow us into your club?

I have a number of plain-Jane, Jack O'Conner .270s. They work fine for me and don't see any benefit in going to a wildcat.

Out of P.O. Ackleys' book
IMG_7627.jpeg

I have a number of plain-Jane, Jack O'Conner .270s. They work fine for me and don't see any benefit in going to a wildcat.
Don't want to speak for other 270 people but the newer 270 people want to improve the case and drive those 160 - 170 class bullets in faster twist barrel.
Pretty much what your doing with 130 gr bullets in your REGULAR 270 they want to do with the 160-170 class bullets

Out of P.O. Ackleys' book
View attachment 587349
I don't own a . 277 but nonetheless it's a great caliber with the right bullet at suitable speed.

Remember, when POA did his work, the list of suitable slow powders was a WHOLE lot shorter. Not positive about this, but H4831 probably was the powder he tested most?? I'm sure he had H870 and others also.

I have the old 280 AI. Not the 280 nosler. It has been my go to caliber for me utilizing RL19 and the 160 AB. I have thought about the 270 AI but would like a new type cartridge in the 270. Something along the lines of a 270/7prc and possibly a higher 32/35 shoulder? How over bore it would be and what pressures concerns I'm not knowledgeable enough to configure the numbers. I just have read that the 7Prc is slightly lacking by some perspectives? I think fps and the prc sticking issues are what comes to mind. My weatherby 270 is great up to 150 gr. bullet would like heavier like a 156/160. More options in this caliber would be renaissance for it.

I've thought long and hard about doing a .277 on the 6.5 PRC case, similar to the 6.8 Western. Call it the 6.8 Midwestern. Better brass availability, use of LR primers instead of magnum, ample stock of H4831. Could be a fun little wildcat.

I have the old 280 AI. Not the 280 nosler. It has been my go to caliber for me utilizing RL19 and the 160 AB. I have thought about the 270 AI but would like a new type cartridge in the 270. Something along the lines of a 270/7prc and possibly a higher 32/35 shoulder? How over bore it would be and what pressures concerns I'm not knowledgeable enough to configure the numbers. I just have read that the 7Prc is slightly lacking by some perspectives? I think fps and the prc sticking issues are what comes to mind. My weatherby 270 is great up to 150 gr. bullet would like heavier like a 156/160. More options in this caliber would be renaissance for it.
You can always do it off of a 300prc case like this one. Just don't go 40* but do a 35*. Food for thought.
20230506_150240~2.jpg
20230703_132121.jpg
20230521_160239~2.jpg
20230505_004411.jpg