Why is Rel 26 so great??

I do not know who labeled RL26 as a great powder, but there are too many powders to rely on just one, especially when YMMV. I make what is available for me work for my intended purpose. I have been using the Ramshot line for a while now. About three years ago, our local Scheels had a few of them at $28, and no one was buying them, so I slowly loaded up. Today, they are in the $50 and up range. At one time, I only used H extreme powders. Now, I no longer worry about powder sensitivity and adjust it according to my load development and hunting times. I do not operate in the -20 to 100 °F zone and expect them to work at this temperature range. I have reduced that range significantly by finalizing my load in early October and hunting from October to November. I might be alone in this mindset, but that's OK; it has worked for me for a while now.

Yup I do exactly the same thing with my HUNTING GUNS. Most call me Nuts for "absolutely loving H US869 in my 6.5x300 weatherby. Temp sensitive yup. But who cares, especially not me. It's a killing machine that I hunt with during the fall at colder temps. Shoot some in winter after season is over. I am not shooting this rifle for fun in summer. I have other guns for that stuff.

So yes I Love H US869. It's freaking phenomenal.

Yup I do exactly the same thing with my HUNTING GUNS. Most call me Nuts for "absolutely loving H US869 in my 6.5x300 weatherby. Temp sensitive yup. But who cares, especially not me. It's a killing machine that I hunt with during the fall at colder temps. Shoot some in winter after season is over. I am not shooting this rifle for fun in summer. I have other guns for that stuff.

So yes I Love H US869. It's freaking phenomenal.
Have to agree with you on 869. Shoot it in a 26 Nosler. Wicked accurate hunting load and impressive fireball out the end of the 26" barrel 🤩

26 is a top performer in several other applications.

Op brings up valid question however. Appreciate everyone laying out the alternatives, some definitely more reasonably priced and available. Think everyone would agree its good to have options and a group of folks who have tried many and can share their experience.

Well the fact that Alliant has suspended all civilian distribution of new powders and cancelled all existing back orders means that what inventory is left out there is all there's gonna be for a long time.

I guess they need to keep all that Red Dot, Promo, Clay Dot, Green Dot, etc for military trap/skeet shooting.

Tony

Lance, how are your 280ai loads using VV565 compared to RL23 for 160-180g class bullets? Have you been able to achieve similar speed & accuracy?
I have a few loads for my 7SS pushing 184s.
H1000, RL23, RL26, and N565. RL26 gets the best speeds, but N565 is nipping at it's heels by only 30fps.

N565 is comparable to RL23 for speeds, but it takes more charge weight. But N565 is more dense, so case fill is only slightly higher.

I have a few loads for my 7SS pushing 184s.
H1000, RL23, RL26, and N565. RL26 gets the best speeds, but N565 is nipping at it's heels by only 30fps.

N565 is comparable to RL23 for speeds, but it takes more charge weight. But N565 is more dense, so case fill is only slightly higher.
I've got about 12lbs of RL23 for hunting loads but was thinking about picking up some N560 and N565 to do some load development/ testing. 280AI with 160AB, 168vldh and 180vldh. Also hope to find some 175EH to test.

Lately I have seen Rel 26 prices soar. What makes it so great compared to other powders in it's class? I have several 1 lb containers of the Rel 26. Yes it gives me very good performance in my 6.5's. But , so does Ramshot magnum. The Ramshot is a tick slower burning , & requites one to two more grains for he same performance for half the cost of Rel 26.
Don't know it is just like Varget for 6mm BR. We picked up some R26 a few years ago to have and try out, still have not used. Several members and other hunters needed some last year and we gave away pound each because they needed some for hunting and also traded even for some Varget. Now I see it going for $100.00 per pound. CRAZY!!!!!

Lately I have seen Rel 26 prices soar. What makes it so great compared to other powders in it's class? I have several 1 lb containers of the Rel 26. Yes it gives me very good performance in my 6.5's. But , so does Ramshot magnum. The Ramshot is a tick slower burning , & requites one to two more grains for he same performance for half the cost of Rel 26.
It's made from unicorn horns. Unfortunately, they've been cracking down on the poachers so we're all out of luck. 😕

Unicorn GIF by MOODMAN

My local distributor/wholesaler only has 3 Alliant Powders in stock.
8 pounders of Pro Reach, BE86, and PP2000MR.

They have NO date on when, or IF Alliant will ship anything else to them.

I have a few Ramshot powders to try.
Other than that, I have found out that Vihtavouri makes their own nitrocellulose, and their complete line is in stock at decent prices.