Why is Rel 26 so great??

Ask @Muddyboots what is so great haha. He is an Addict. Some folks are addicted to the Colombian powder…his affliction is of the Swedish variety 🤣

It's a progressive burn rate slow burning powder that readily obtains 100-200 fps over non-progressives without exceeding max pressure, just maintains peak pressure a bit longer, the pressure curve isn't as spikey.
There's other double base powders that do almost as well. N550,555,560 depending on your case(all the N5XX are double base). Lever evolution is another double base that gets a lot of velocity out of things. The IMR enduron line (4955, 4166, 4451, 8133, 7977) is another place to look for a replacement. Superformance, Accurate 2520, off the top of my head.

There's other double base powders that do almost as well. N550,555,560 depending on your case(all the N5XX are double base). Lever evolution is another double base that gets a lot of velocity out of things. The IMR enduron line (4955, 4166, 4451, 8133, 7977) is another place to look for a replacement. Superformance, Accurate 2520, off the top of my head.

The IMR ENDURON line has been discontinued for a while now :(. But I agree. It was great, I loved 8133 and 4451 especially.

Superformance and Leverevolution are indeed also progressive burn rate powders (I think LVR is anyway, for sure superformance) - I'm also not entirely convinced that LVR isn't EXACTLY the same thing as CFE223 just rebranded. Not at all saying you should treat them as interchangeable, we're all adults responsible for ourselves here haha, but I will say doing load work up in my 243 identical charge weights of cfe223 and LVR produced IDENTICAL muzzle velocity with a 75 grain bullet. Like within 5fps of each other when averaged.

The IMR ENDURON line has been discontinued for a while now :(. But I agree. It was great, I loved 8133 and 4451 especially.

Superformance and Leverevolution are indeed also progressive burn rate powders (I think LVR is anyway, for sure superformance) - I'm also not entirely convinced that LVR isn't EXACTLY the same thing as CFE223 just rebranded. Not at all saying you should treat them as interchangeable, we're all adults responsible for ourselves here haha, but I will say doing load work up in my 243 identical charge weights of cfe223 and LVR produced IDENTICAL muzzle velocity with a 75 grain bullet. Like within 5fps of each other when averaged.
Interesting. I've not used CFE223. I use lever as the only powder in 2 cartridges I reload that are not for lever guns haha. The extra velocity really changes them.

Lately I have seen Rel 26 prices soar. What makes it so great compared to other powders in it's class? I have several 1 lb containers of the Rel 26. Yes it gives me very good performance in my 6.5's. But , so does Ramshot magnum. The Ramshot is a tick slower burning , & requites one to two more grains for he same performance for half the cost of Rel 26.
I have not seen any RL26 on the shelves in a long time,but lucky I have some.
It is the best I have found in my 7RM(50 FPS faster than good old H870 which ran out 20years ago)

We have Digressive (Ball powders, they get smaller as they burn) and Progressive (They burn inside and outside at the same time).
There is no non-progressive powders we use in small arms ammunition other than Flake powders used in shotguns.
The real difference we have is Single base and Double base powders.
All Ball powders are Double base, so if you want to close the gap when a stick Double base powder disappears, choose a Ball powder, it will have similar performance.
Getting to powder prices, have a look at this sent on Monday of this week. Australia is being RAPED.
Full_Header5d0f84.png

CLEAVER FIREARMS

Alliant Powder - DUE Over the Next Two Weeks !!!

02610a8c-d72a-de08-2fc8-73b6b92fe80e.png
CHECKOUT OUR LATEST Products
  • ALLIANT BE-86 1LB
    PISTOL POWDER
  • NEW $139
  • ALLIANT RED DOT 8LB
    PISTOL POWDER
  • NEW $890
  • ALLIANT AR COMP 1 LB
    RIFLE POWDER
  • NEW $185
  • ALLIANT POWER PRO 2000
    1 LB RIFLE POWDER
  • NEW $169
  • ALLIANT
  • RELOADER 10X
  • RELOADER 15
  • RELOADER 19
  • RELOADER 7
  • AVAILABLE IN
  • 1 LB NEW $179
    5 LB NEW $829
  • ALLIANT RELOADER 25
    RIFLE POWDER
  • 1 LB NEW $179
Due Over the Next 10 Days
Strictly While Stocks Last
Get Your Orders In Quick...

ORDERS TO BE COLLECTED IN
7 DAYS ONCE ALLOTTED

Click the image for more details.

I am not buying into what the manufacturers and distributors are saying. It's kind of like some of the bourbons I used to prefer. Blantons restricted their supply and prices doubled. Now they have set a much more profitable price point. FOMO (fear of missing out) has set in and people will pay whatever price they put on it.
😂 now that is a great analogy! Not always best to tell everyone about the good ones lest they get too popular and go the way of Blanton's!
I'll keep using the Jim beam of powders for my 6.5. Good enough and readily available at a fair price!!

We have Digressive (Ball powders, they get smaller as they burn) and Progressive (They burn inside and outside at the same time).
There is no non-progressive powders we use in small arms ammunition other than Flake powders used in shotguns.
The real difference we have is Single base and Double base powders.
All Ball powders are Double base, so if you want to close the gap when a stick Double base powder disappears, choose a Ball powder, it will have similar performance.
Getting to powder prices, have a look at this sent on Monday of this week. Australia is being RAPED.

CLEAVER FIREARMS

Alliant Powder - DUE Over the Next Two Weeks !!!

CHECKOUT OUR LATEST Products
  • ALLIANT BE-86 1LB
    PISTOL POWDER
  • NEW $139
  • ALLIANT RED DOT 8LB
    PISTOL POWDER
  • NEW $890
  • ALLIANT AR COMP 1 LB
    RIFLE POWDER
  • NEW $185
  • ALLIANT POWER PRO 2000
    1 LB RIFLE POWDER
  • NEW $169
  • ALLIANT
  • RELOADER 10X
  • RELOADER 15
  • RELOADER 19
  • RELOADER 7
  • AVAILABLE IN
  • 1 LB NEW $179
    5 LB NEW $829
  • ALLIANT RELOADER 25
    RIFLE POWDER
  • 1 LB NEW $179
Due Over the Next 10 Days
Strictly While Stocks Last
Get Your Orders In Quick...

ORDERS TO BE COLLECTED IN
7 DAYS ONCE ALLOTTED

Click the image for more details.

My understanding of "progressive" burn rate was a bit different than this…like RL17, RL26, SUPERFORMANCE, StaBall 6.5, LVR (possibly) are progressive burning in a way that rl19 rl22 h4350 imr7828 etc are not. Through the use of flame retardants or other chemical means the burn rate of the individual kernels changes more than with standard powders as they burn, starting out slower and getting much faster as time progresses so as to maintain peak pressure for longer and increasing "area under the curve".

What do you use Lever evolution for? I got some of it for my .35 Remington and it's great but does it have applications in faster cartridges? Just curious.

What do you use Lever evolution for? I got some of it for my .35 Remington and it's great but does it have applications in faster cartridges? Just curious.

In my 22 inch barrel savage 99 .243 Winchester the max charge I hit was 45 grains LVR under an HBN treated 75 grain Barnes X (the old school non-grooved x bullets) - a hair over 3500 fps.

My understanding of "progressive" burn rate was a bit different than this…like RL17, RL26, SUPERFORMANCE, StaBall 6.5, LVR (possibly) are progressive burning in a way that rl19 rl22 h4350 imr7828 etc are not. Through the use of flame retardants or other chemical means the burn rate of the individual kernels changes more than with standard powders as they burn, starting out slower and getting much faster as time progresses so as to maintain peak pressure for longer and increasing "area under the curve".
The description of Progressive has nothing to do with burn rate.
There is no difference in burn rate as you describe, faster or slower is simply the rate at whichever burns faster or slower, this is changed in several ways, kernel size, size of hole/s in the kernel, kernel length then we get into flash suppressor chemicals, retardant chemicals, coating etc, etc.
Trivergent powders are the new age, but they are not common in small arms ammunition. Very present in military stuff bigger than 50 cal.
The powders you list have 'special' formulations, nothing more and they do not burn progressively differently, they do however produce more gas per kernel due to being Double base.

Cheers.