Why Hammer Bullets Are Always Faster

Here is head scratcher to "decide" which highly respected load manual to use based on their pressure testing.

Nosler shows for .243 Winchester H380 at max load for 55BT at 47.5 grains at 3951fps. That's smoking!

Hodgdon shows same bullet with H380 at 51.0 grains at 4010 fps! Laser!!!

But wait!!! How can this be?Hmmm 3.5 grain differential in maximum load based off their pressure testing.

I guess you better be well versed in pressure observations with a 3.5 grain differential from two HIGHLY RESPECTED RELOADING DATA MANUALS.

There is also a 0.040 differential on OAL but cannot be reason for 3.5 grain differential which is very SIGNIFICANT in potential pressure effects.

So who do you believe? Bullet manufacturer or powder manufacturer? They both have pressure testing capability. Where do I start for 55HH ladder?

What a conundrum! Sure glad I have 40 years of reloading to make appropriate VISUAL pressure observations. Just sayin...

View attachment 426652View attachment 426653
Give the Governor a Hurumph

Should we then, stop doing things the way we have been doing them for three or four generations? You are bringing economics to a reloading thread and expect to be accepted?
4t4vcj.jpg

It'd be a way for someone to verify the hammers are faster claim with empirical data.
It still would not be good enough for the Naysayers, but I see your point . Nearly all Hammer bullet users have said the Hammer bullets are always faster in comparison too other bullets they have reloaded , and that is including some that has done extensive testing ( fifty driver) and it still isn't good enough . One thing I can say this has been an interesting thread , can't believe it hasn't gone off the rails . Where is the train wreck? Ha .

I'm going to leave this right here in case anyone that feels like blowing $800 wants to proof their loads.

Not all that much worth than a lab radar I guess.

If I was making bullets and publishing load data, I'd certainly buy one.
It's wildly questionable at best. 1 sensor at the breech? Talk to your builders. Two of mine have said same thing. 2 at the breech, 1 mid body, 1 at the muzzle. This doesn't even include sacrificing a barrel by tapping it with an internal pressure sensor.

That's why I have several reloading manuals and keep all my older manuals too. Things change over the years. I still have some 70gr Speer bullets I tried in the 70's for a .224 cal. The only thing I went to the high load, and blew out a primer in a 220 swift. I still have the box of bullets and the reloading powder chart that came with the box. Never used them again, anyway they stay on the shelving above the reload bench. A reminder about starting at the top and work your way down o_O . Not to trust the info, but maybe starting at the low end of powder and move up. That was the first time a blow a primer out of a cartridge, and the 2nd time was with IMR powder and temp change. I work real hard not to use double base powders. All of those were develop in hot weather, so I don't worry about them in cold weather except for velocity lost.
I had noted in a Sierra Manual last year on 220 Swifts the velocity was down by several hundred fps on a 55gr bullet I use in that rifle. I wonder what the h***. Sierra changed from a 1-14 to a 1-12 twist barrel and slowed the velocity down about 300fps.
I know that the rifle manufactures bring out a new rifle to sell. Play their rifles up against others in the say caliber. "Look at mine" It's faster and better. Read into it and you'll generally see their barrets are 2" long to start with, and they have develop a load for it, that's hotter too. So I kind of feel, Look at me and my rifle. With some load development with your rifle, you probable can come very close there velocity anyway and don't have to buy a new rifle.

It still would not be good enough for the Naysayers, but I see your point . Nearly all Hammer bullet users have said the Hammer bullets are always faster in comparison too other bullets they have reloaded , and that is including some that has done extensive testing ( fifty driver) and it still isn't good enough . One thing I can say this has been an interesting thread , can't believe it hasn't gone off the rails . Where is the train wreck? Ha .
I've lived in the medical world for a decade and anecdotal evidence has tremendous value but unfortunately in most cases if not all, without impericsl data it doesn't hold water. Load development is not a drug and monitored by the FDA and I would guess that most of you know how to read unsafe pressure signs as you have have as much or knowledge in doing so as myself. With that being said, I'd happily help fund and or help with creating the proper data for Hammer bullets pertaining to pressure just to verify what many of us have experienced anecdotally with Hammer bullets. Respectively, not to prove anyone wrong, but to answer all the questions.

I've lived in the medical world for a decade and anecdotal evidence has tremendous value but unfortunately in most cases if not all, without impericsl data it doesn't hold water. Load development is not a drug and monitored by the FDA and I would guess that most of you know how to read unsafe pressure signs as you have have as much or knowledge in doing so as myself. With that being said, I'd happily help fund and or help with creating the proper data for Hammer bullets pertaining to pressure just to verify what many of us have experienced anecdotally with Hammer bullets. Respectively, not to prove anyone wrong, but to answer all the questions.
I can't speak for Hammer bullets interest , but that might be a place to get it started, who knows . So far things have worked out pretty well for Hammer bullet users , but they are always trying to improve their bullets and business for their customer base. Get it started and I'm sure including myself others may donate too the cause , but remember time is money also , so it won't happen overnight.

We are working on a plan to go hang out at Weatherby and do some testing with various cartridges and bullets. With their test barrels and our rifles. Will be certainly interesting. There are so many variables that frankly no one will ever have the answers. In the end, the hand loader has the advantage of reading pressure in his rifle and making sure the developed load is good in that rifle.