Why Hammer Bullets Are Always Faster

I know what your saying but to me its one of the reasons i love them, The fact that you have to figure it out from scratch, No Rules,
And I do , I got 3500 fps out of 119gr absolute hammer in my 7-08 . But I don't want to tell you about that.. OMG people will freak out. Really do blame me . This is just my data.???

I think you missed point. I am not at all saying it can't happen. I am saying you cannot quantify it without pressure testing. So best not to assume anything until you know. Again, I have given my thoughts on unreliability of traditional pressure signs so won't repeat. I keep making folks mad when I do:)

Lou
I don't think you are making people mad. I think you are saying things that are not clear. Now you are saying things that are much different than your first statements in the thread. I will ask you a simple yes or no question. Can bullets of different form, equal in caliber and weight, produce different velocity at the same pressure?

I'd love to be able to measure pressure, but the entire game is based on variables/tolerances. I'm concerned with the end results of how they weave together.

Back when slugging barrels was a thing (cast bullets) one quickly learned they are not identical.

A tight bore is going to "pressure limit" more quickly than one at "maximum tolerances". Likely with less velocity.

The fact major companies pressure test in one barrel, doesn't mean the next lot of brass, powder, primers, and bullets in a different a different system will yield the same results.

We hand load in great part to tailor our loads to our specific rifles.

Many threads here stating brand X rifles always shoot great yet I've owned too many exceptions, too believe they are the same. In spite of the advancements in machinery.
Which is why there is a standardized pressure testing procedure that is descibed by saami including reference ammo.

I keep hearing hammers get xfps more. If that is only in your gun then it should not be a claim that gets repeated as it may not in next gun given this rationale

Lou

I don't think you are making people mad. I think you are saying things that are not clear. Now you are saying things that are much different than your first statements in the thread. I will ask you a simple yes or no question. Can bullets of different form, equal in caliber and weight, produce different velocity at the same pressure?
Define pressure. Are you referring to max pressure then yes. If you are referring to area under the p/t curve I have to think about it but dont think so. The peak pressure is only reached during a very short period so velocity is dependent on peak and duration of pressure. I am not sure if that answers your question or not but it is not a clear question

Lou

Which is why there is a standardized pressure testing procedure that is descibed by saami including reference ammo.

I keep hearing hammers get xfps more. If that is only in your gun then it should not be a claim that gets repeated as it may not in next gun given this rationale

Lou
What if it happens for hundreds of different users in a consistent quantifiable manner?

Dear God is there a moderator who can put this thread out of its misery at this point???

Lou

Kill Me Smh GIF

Define pressure. Are you referring to max pressure then yes. If you are referring to area under the p/t curve I have to think about it but dont think so. The peak pressure is only reached during a very short period so velocity is dependent on peak and duration of pressure. I am not sure if that answers your question or not but it is not a clear question

Lou
Nope. It was a yes or no question. It's ok, you don't have to answer. It's clear now.

Steve

This is my first post which I apologized for the tone. I aplogize again as it is not meaningless as whether we agree or not it spurned a discussion

"Absolutely 100 percent meaningless without pressure testing results. Not saying hammers do not get more velocity but this proves nothing. different bullets often get higher or lower velocity with same charge weights. Does not mean pressure is the same nor does "no pressure signs" means"

Other than the negativity, I do not have a different stance.

Lou

Ok, I'll add a little more food for thought. Is a 200g 30 cal bullet with a .7" baring surface with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps exhibiting the same pressure as a 200g 30 cal bullet with my a .5" baring surface with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps? Both bullets of the same physical property and design other than the dimensions.
What is a baring surface? I assume you mean bearing surface.

A pressure test barrel for each caliber and chamber does not grow on trees. If we got one and the equipment that goes with it would be a tall order. Then the same antis would say that it isn't enough. That is only one and doesn't prove anything. Pressure testing equipment is far down on my list of needs. We are much better served spending money on production equipment and facility to house it.
But if you invested in one pressure test setup in one caliber and could prove your claims it would go a long way.

Do you gents know what a pressure / time curve is, how it impacts velocity, and how engraving pressure affects things? If so you know that engraving pressure is typically 3-4k for say a lead/copper rifle bullet. An unbanded mono is 5-6k. So by reducing engraving pressure you are dealing with couple k psi total as it is not gonna be zero. That is not gonna change velocity a whole lot. Part of my skepticism but again if somebody thinks my numbers off lmk.

BB - need better gifs

Lou

Do you gents know what a pressure / time curve is, how it impacts velocity, and how engraving pressure affects things? If so you know that engraving pressure is typically 3-4k for say a lead/copper rifle bullet. An unbanded mono is 5-6k. So by reducing engraving pressure you are dealing with couple k psi total as it is not gonna be zero. That is not gonna change velocity a whole lot. Part of my skepticism but again if somebody thinks my numbers off lmk.

BB - need better gifs

Lou
Have you founded a bullet company from the ground up and done all the research and trial and error field testing that goes into that? If not maybe consider that it looks kinda silly to be condescendingly asking @RockyMtnMT if he knows how this stuff actually works. At this point this is just becoming embarrassing.

Have you founded a bullet company from the ground up and done all the research and trial and error field testing that goes into that? If not maybe consider that it looks kinda silly to be condescendingly asking @RockyMtnMT if he knows how this stuff actually works. At this point this is just becoming embarrassing.
I concur