Why Hammer Bullets Are Always Faster

No no man I'm on the side that says they can!!! 🤣. I just received my first order of hammers in the mail.

I'm saying if you're shooting a 7 and a 30 out of equal barrel lengths and equal powder charges at equal pressure the 30
Will be going faster as the total volume from chamber to muzzle for gas to expand is greater.
No directed at you or anyone in particular.

I think @Lou270 and a few others have made their point very clear that bullet weight and muzzle velocity equal pressure. Period. To believe this they will have to answer yes to both of my food for thought statements. If they don't answer yes to both of these then they have to re think their position that a bullet by design can exhibit more velocity than other bullet designs of the same weight loaded to the same pressure.

I believe what you are saying is the only thing that matters is the weight of the bullet and the vel. All bullets, of equal weight, are at the same pressure at the same velocity? Regardless of form, or material?
Not at all. Different bullets produce different pressure. With factory ammo you know that load is within limits at least in test fixture with whatever bullet is loaded.

I understand the concept of less engraving pressure. I also know you can possibly show this by loading 2 bullets with same powder charge and looking at velocity. The caveat here is the distance to the lands needs to be same and powder volume needs to be same. May be difficult depending on what you are comparing.

I still do not believe you can find one bullet produces less velocity with a powder charge then load more powder until you match or exceed the velocity of the other bullet at same or higher velocity and assume anything about pressure with any degree of certainty. That is, without pressure testing. I already stated what I thought was reasonable lacking pressure data that shows bullets real characteristics so will not repeat

As I noted in my other post there is a knob you can turn in QL to adjust shot start pressure. It can give idea what can expect for a given cartridge / bullet with more or less engraving pressure in terms of velocity change. I don't have QL anymore or would run an experiment. For ex if the defaut number is 5k, one could set to 3k (or whatever). The pressure should go down for that load and can add powder back to same pressure and get an idea of fps delta. One experiment I thought of anyway since we are discussing topic

Lou

Man I love your bullets, and I am pulling for you. Somehow you need data, published. And you will not be able to keep up with the demand. I'm praying for you. Happy New Year's. And thanks. 😎
A pressure test barrel for each caliber and chamber does not grow on trees. If we got one and the equipment that goes with it would be a tall order. Then the same antis would say that it isn't enough. That is only one and doesn't prove anything. Pressure testing equipment is far down on my list of needs. We are much better served spending money on production equipment and facility to house it.

Man I love your bullets, and I am pulling for you. Somehow you need data, published. And you will not be able to keep up with the demand. I'm praying for you. Happy New Year's. And thanks. 😎
I know what your saying but to me its one of the reasons i love them, The fact that you have to figure it out from scratch, No Rules,

Not at all. Different bullets produce different pressure. With factory ammo you know that load is within limits at least in test fixture with whatever bullet is loaded.

I understand the concept of less engraving pressure. I also know you can possibly show this by loading 2 bullets with same powder charge and looking at velocity. The caveat here is the distance to the lands needs to be same and powder volume needs to be same. May be difficult depending on what you are comparing.

I still do not believe you can find one bullet produces less velocity with a powder charge then load more powder until you match or exceed the velocity of the other bullet at same or higher velocity and assume anything about pressure with any degree of certainty. That is, without pressure testing. I already stated what I thought was reasonable lacking pressure data that shows bullets real characteristics so will not repeat

As I noted in my other post there is a knob you can turn in QL to adjust shot start pressure. It can give idea what can expect for a given cartridge / bullet with more or less engraving pressure in terms of velocity change. I don't have QL anymore or would run an experiment. For ex if the defaut number is 5k, one could set to 3k (or whatever). The pressure should go down for that load and can add powder back to same pressure and get an idea of fps delta. One experiment I thought of anyway since we are discussing topic

Lou
That is a long way of saying that bullets of different forms will have different velocity at the same pressure.

I think @Lou270 and a few others have made their point very clear that bullet weight and muzzle velocity equal pressure. Period. To believe this they will have to answer yes to both of my food for thought statements. If they don't answer yes to both of these then they have to re think their position that a bullet by design can exhibit more velocity than other bullet designs of the same weight loaded to the same pressure.
I think you missed point. I am not at all saying it can't happen. I am saying you cannot quantify it without pressure testing. So best not to assume anything until you know. Again, I have given my thoughts on unreliability of traditional pressure signs so won't repeat. I keep making folks mad when I do:)

Lou

I'd love to be able to measure pressure, but the entire game is based on variables/tolerances. I'm concerned with the end results of how they weave together.

Back when slugging barrels was a thing (cast bullets) one quickly learned they are not identical.

A tight bore is going to "pressure limit" more quickly than one at "maximum tolerances". Likely with less velocity.

The fact major companies pressure test in one barrel, doesn't mean the next lot of brass, powder, primers, and bullets in a different a different system will yield the same results.

We hand load in great part to tailor our loads to our specific rifles.

Many threads here stating brand X rifles always shoot great yet I've owned too many exceptions, too believe they are the same. In spite of the advancements in machinery.

Lou
No way.gif