Which way to a .22 Creedmoor ?

Which way to a .22 Creedmoor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went the reamed tikka route, no regrets with 80gr eldms. To the op if you’re going to have this as a close quarters and truck gun I would go down to 16” barrel and run 69tmks around 3300fps imo. Although I can understand going 20” if you’re not running a suppressor. My 18” does well out to 750yards with mild wind. Would def go .219 bore and 8twist.

IMG_6138.png

3 at 755 .15moa
IMG_5678.jpeg

3 at 1040 .34moa
IMG_5239.jpeg

Nice shooting, factory T3 Lite with factory barrel punched?

Weight of gun "all up" (sling, rounds, scoped)

Yes it's a factory t3 223rem 8 twist reamed out. Bought a t3 7-08 used for $550. Pulled the other barrel off and put this one on. Stock is a stockys ultra carbon hunter vg (25oz)

Rifle, March 3-24x52 with NF ultra light rings Tbac ultra 5, stock, mtn tactical alm pic rail, mtn tactical aluminum bm, factory 3rd mag, weight 8.25lbs.
With a sling and 3 rounds in the mag probably around 8.5lbs

Groups were shot standing off a tall bench with bi pod and rear bag. The 1040 yard group was shot using my 2oz ultra lite rear bag.
IMG_4709.jpeg

Below is another reamed out tikka 22creed in a stockys also this one is a 16" I put together for a friend. It was new 22-250 t3 8 twist reamed out that he got on sale originally for $650
IMG_5268.jpeg

Last edited:
Really like the tikka platform and one thing that has become important to me on a hunting rifle is the bolt handle locking when on safety. I've been on several hunts and had to pull the gun out of my pack quickly to find the bolt wide open ejecting my round in the woods somewhere. But I believe the Kimber's do this also so that's nice.

Really like the tikka platform and one thing that has become important to me on a hunting rifle is the bolt handle locking when on safety. I've been on several hunts and had to pull the gun out of my pack quickly to find the bolt wide open ejecting my round in the woods somewhere. But I believe the Kimber's do this also so that's nice.
That was something I did not think I cared about either way but found I appreciate it on my Sako's. The more I go thru rough bush slung or bagged the more I like it. Never had a round ejected but have found it with the handle up. How the action is timed can also have an effect on force it takes for that bolt to lift. But if the safety locks it there should not be an issue.

On consumer actions I find it very hard to beat Sako/Tikka actions. IMO, they make great builds foundation if not going custom action. Very good stock triggers too, for hunting.

That was something I did not think I cared about either way but found I appreciate it on my Sako's. The more I go thru rough bush slung or bagged the more I like it. Never had a round ejected but have found it with the handle up. How the action is timed can also have an effect on force it takes for that bolt to lift. But if the safety locks it there should not be an issue.

On consumer actions I find it very hard to beat Sako/Tikka actions. IMO, they make great builds foundation if not going custom action. Very good stock triggers too, for hunting.
If I had a live round chambered in my rifle while it was in my pack, I would be more worried about the safety coming off as opposed to the bolt opening while “pulling out of my pack”. A rifle in a pack with a chambered round, not for me!

If I had a live round chambered in my rifle while it was in my pack, I would be more worried about the safety coming off as opposed to the bolt opening while "pulling out of my pack". A rifle in a pack with a chambered round, not for me!
I have never felt the need to pack a rifle with a round in the chamber unless it is in my hands and I am actively stalking. A bolt can be cycled incredibly fast.....

I have never felt the need to pack a rifle with a round in the chamber unless it is in my hands and I am actively stalking. A bolt can be cycled incredibly fast.....
Same here. Plus, I like to be able to open my bolt to unload a chambered round with the safety on.

I do a lot of checking loaded rounds in rifles inside my house. Nice to have that safety engaged, even though my FINGER is the best safety. But with triggers in the low to mid OUNCES, I want that safety engaged.

With a Rem700 the saftey coming off and having an accidental discharge while in the pack loaded is a valid concern. The only way i would do it is by releasing the firing pin so it can’t happen and I don’t really run into situations where I feel the need to do it anymore. When I stated carrying the rifle loaded in the pack I didn’t mean to imply that it was like that at all times. Just for short periods when I know im in an area where I will need to be ready. But most of my hunting now is in Texas where I rarely have to walk in more than a few miles. So with a pack on I just carry the rifle slung on my shoulder ready to go because I bust a lot hogs on the way into the areas I hunt. But in the last few years to be more effective, faster at getting a shots off while walking in and to address the saftey concerns mentioned above. I have been carrying my rifle in empty in the pack and carrying my lightweight 12” 6.5grendel pistol slung on my front in hand ready to go. Its much more effective on shooting multiple hogs at close range anyway.

Same here. Plus, I like to be able to open my bolt to unload a chambered round with the safety on.

I do a lot of checking loaded rounds in rifles inside my house. Nice to have that safety engaged, even though my FINGER is the best safety. But with triggers in the low to mid OUNCES, I want that safety engaged.
I do the same prior to hunts, but, I pull the firing pin completely. No need to even worry about the safety-lever when the pin is out. Obviously still practice proper muzzle-control.

I'd sure as heck never load a gun and put it in a pack! Yikes.........

I don't carry hot unless I'm on stand when I go back to hunt deer via a stand in Northern Minnesota and or when I'm hunting alone in the "dark timber" for elk.

I do not actually carry chambered in my pack but do slung or in hand. I put the two together in the sentence in my post above without see how it actual read. I have had my bolt lifted in the pack. I also never had any of my hunting rifles ever setup with a trigger in the ounces sub 16oz. For me those triggers are for my target for the range line. That is personally my threshold. But everyone has their own level of safety threshold. If I take another hunting with me rifles stay unchambered until we are about to shoot. I do a good amount of stalk hunting vs stand. 99% of my hunting is solo. It's what I do to be away from people and modern civ. Even the farm is too busy and loud after awhile.

Consider how many handguns are carried every day with no trigger block safety at all or just a blade or hinged trigger which neither has little chance of preventing an AD if something gets inside the trigger guard. Sig p320/360s have completely done away with trigger block safeties. Think how many people carry appendix these days. Their not in the woods, practically alone, but in highly congested areas in cities. Consider how many use to freak over 1911 and other hammer fired sa/da carried C1 (cocked-n-locked) yet that at best is equal to every non-ms handgun today from Glocks to S&W MPs, Sig P series etc..

I carry my handgun in C1 ifs my SOP street or bush.

You can always make a gun theoretically "safer" right up to not owning one. Everyone has their threshold. It seems whenever topics of carry condition come up, more so in handgun topics, it seems to all to often fall into one upmanship. People wanted to prove they are safer thus more responsible then the next person.

If someone goes past my threshold I simply will not be around them if they have a firearm just as I will not get in a vehicle with someone that I think is a reckless/unsafe driver. I am polite about it. Now training is a different story or elevated safety precautions when working in a group. Everyone has their threshold.

Recent Posts