Which chronograph for christmas?

For the price I think the Magneto Speed is a great option. Super easy to use and switch from rifle to rifle. Great for public ranges or spots that hinder set-up of other brand. For the average shooter I think it is darn tough to beat. I have loved mine.

LabRadar all the way. Easy set up no wires attached to the gun can shoot several guns at one range session, Data is stored until you get home and you can view it on your computer. I see Magneto speed bayouts slipping all the time and have to be fixed disrupting your shooting.
You don't have to shoot groups and then for speed. the LabRadar does not interfer with your groups.
If you shoot a great group it is recorded and the other day I had 4 perfect shots of a five shot group and one low. I would have just thought that I pulled it but the LabRadar recorded it at 50fps slower than the others which were in one hole with a SD of 3.2 So it told me where the problem was.
Henry

I have experience with LabRadar and optical. I think the pros/cons Hand Skills noted above are right for those two. Between the two, LabRadar is far and away more effective and enjoyable, in my experience. While I have had the experience of the unit becoming confused and picking up the rounds of shooters near me, it has not occurred much or overly disrupted my session. Most commonly at my range, I can enjoy at least one and often several empty benches on both sides. If I were constantly shooting with people immediately on both sides, it might be different.

I also agree with the additional pro for the LabRadar that sedancowboy notes; i.e., you're seeing the velocities of the rounds used to shoot groups. Very useful in my experience.

Well, I've used the Magnetspeed since it first came out. Darrell Buell was testing a proto for Magnetospeed one day, and I asked him; what the heck is that? Used one ever since. In the end a MagnetoSpeed will do everything needed for a chrono.
The slipping on the barrel and changing POI is mostly crap. If you know how to secure it to your barrel, you have non of these issues. For the slipping - cure is to use the one rubber spacer on the top while using the other spacer on the bottom. Anyone who has used one will understand this.
Bottom line is LabRadar is no more accurate than a MagnetoSpeed. The LabRadar is $500, a MagnetoSpeed Sporter is only $175. Just depends on how much money you like to throw around - or away. Plus the battery on a MagnetoSpeed last for a hole season. You cannot even get thru a range session with a LabRador without the accessory battery pack. At some point you really hit the wall of diminishing returns - big time.

Len has the labradar for $509 . I'm pretty sure these come with the battery pack now .

I bought a labradar . at the time I thought it was the best set up going . I was reading on these forums the magneto would come loose and if it wasn't noticed you could shoot it .
I'll take a few rifles to shoot at one session . I can let the labradar set there and just put another rifle beside it and start shooting at the same target . no muss no fuss .

I have a MS Sporter and a Labradar and IMO, the LR is hands down a better tool. I will keep my MS as a backup should something happen to the LR but otherwise the MS stays in the bag. I put my LR on a $20 mini-tripod and power it with a $20 battery pack, that has not needed recharged in months. If the money is not an issue, I would go with the LR. If it is then the MS is a fine tool, it just has some limitations IMO.

Looking for recommendation for a chronograph. Are they like scopes buy once pay once or something simple!! Wouldn't that be amazing!! Well Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving. Joe
I got the labradar…...it is friggin awesome....easy to use...just do it....

I use both the Lab Radar and MS. Both work quite well. Which one to choose depends on the amount of testing you do, the proximity of other shooters where you do your testing, and your budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.