Which chronograph for christmas?

adk hunter

Looking for recommendation for a chronograph. Are they like scopes buy once pay once or something simple!! Wouldn't that be amazing!! Well Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving. Joe

Pros and cons as I see them;

Magnetospeed - great for crowded ranges, easy to setup behind firing line. Not so great when chrono-ing(?) multiple rifles compared to other units which are setup independent of the rifle.

Lab radar - Cadillac. Sits at the shooting position, so setup is trivial. Can be confusing with many people on the firing line, as radar picks up other near you and returns results. Has trouble reading fast stuff >3900fps

Two-Box - requires down range setup. Provides very accurate readings in a 6'x6' 'window' allowing one to shoot different targets without fear of misalignment. Good compromise between optical and radar. Has trouble reading slow stuff <1200fps

Optical - needs to be setup down range, needs precise alignment. Danger of shooting sensors or brain. Concerns with direct lighting/sunshades. Some units of lesser quality do not provide precise results.

*edited lab radar speed limit to 3900fps as per mfg, got my numbers mixed up off the cuff

Last edited:
Labradar all the way. Love mine. Never had any issues over 3500fps. My 6.5SS pushes a 95 V-max @ 3650. And .22-250 pushing a 50 SMK @ 3910 reads fine. I don't like anything hanging off my barrel changing harmonics. Plus, I usually shoot multiple rifles each week, so swapping a Magnetospeed from rifle to rifle, back and forth gets old.

Last edited:
+++ LabRadar, 3 years and still going strong. LabRadar is currently $50 off on sale. Only fails to catch the shot, when I set it up incorrectly or fail to arm it. One of my best investments.

Only one weakness it had 3900fps. So if your shooting over that. You want a different one.. I have a oler 35p too

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.