Which 375?

Yal were right. I tried to find a used one under 1200 and it's extremely hard. Found a few from gander mountain but none with a 378 bolt face...

Look on gun broker. the last one I bought cost $800.00 and was in very nice shape. It was in
378 Weatherby. the best buy I found was a 340 Weatherby for $700.00 and changing it to a 378 was easy, all I had to do was mill the bolt stop slot to 378 length, open the bolt face up and install a 378 extractor.(Just push the pin out and install the new extractor and replace the pin).

I would be patient and look for one in 378,416 or 460 so everything is already done. A friend just recently bought a very nice one for $1,000.00. sometimes you have to keep watching for a deal but they are there if you are patient.

Also most of the Mark 5 triggers are fully adjustable and very good (You may not need/want an after market trigger).

I don't have any Weatherby stock so buy what you want.

J E CUSTOM

**** Fed, chill out dude! I sure as hell wasnt trying to start anything, if anything my intention was the opposite. Their best guess is that thing was loaded with a fast burning pistol powder by accident. Could you imagine the possible outcome if it were a Remington or such? The action took it but the lugs sheered off and the bolt hit the guy right under the eye. I agree that the Weatherby actions are some of strongest made, that's why I've been wanting one for my next build.

Anyways I'll step away from this thread, it's all yours if it means that much to ya. I obviously have nothing to contribute anyways.

It's all good man.

A Weatherby cartridge loaded with pistol powder. 120,000psi is my estimate.

I hope the guy survived and did not have a live changing injury.

Maybe one of these gentlemen on this site that are sitting on some extra Mark 5's would sell you and I one for $7-800 so we can try them out:)

Um, each action has a list of barrels and chamberings at least 3 deep.:D:D

I have a 378 Weatherby Improved. I built it for my 15 year old son Zayne. The 375 Zayne is built on a Weatherby Mark V which is more than enough action. The case holds 144 gr of powder which is a substantial increase from the original 125. We just recieved the dies so we are able to start compiling some results. Quickload says that a 325 grain bullet will travel 3100+ fps. In talking with Steve at Hammer, we are hoping to push the 394 at 3000. Here are 2 pictures. First is a 325 Chinchaga. Second is a 394 Hammer.

Attachments

• IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 84
Sorry for the sideways pics. Not sure how to fix it. Here's another picture for comparison.
300 win, 300 RUM, 338 RUM, 375 Zayne

Attachments

• IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 61
Once the rain and snow stop, Zayne and I will be headed out for some testing. The fireform loads harvested 2 animals this year. Zayne shot a very nice antelope at 250. He had a facing shot and hit it in the chest. The antelope flipped completely over on his back. A beautiful entry wound and exit. Second was a whitetail buck. Again 250 yards laying down. Hit him at the crown of the shoulder and didn't move a muscle. This was 105 grains of H4831 and a 260 accubond.

Once the rain and snow stop, Zayne and I will be headed out for some testing. The fireform loads harvested 2 animals this year. Zayne shot a very nice antelope at 250. He had a facing shot and hit it in the chest. The antelope flipped completely over on his back. A beautiful entry wound and exit. Second was a whitetail buck. Again 250 yards laying down. Hit him at the crown of the shoulder and didn't move a muscle. This was 105 grains of H4831 and a 260 accubond.

Excellent to hear!!! What kind of brass are you fellas using in your weatherby's? I found some Jamison "460 weatherby basic" brass for 2.25$ a piece which is the cheapest I can find. Is jamison brass low grade or something? I don't know much about them. I've always used lapua and norma brass.

We use 378 Weatherby brass. I fell into a deal for 300. I think I paid $40 a box of 20. Using the 378 Weatherby brass gives us the ability to just place it in the chamber and fire it. We don't have to work the brass before we fireform.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.