Which 375?

The largest practical cartridge for what you would want would be the 378 Weatherby improved.

You can also find a good Mark 5 action and everything will work well in it. (It already has a big bolt, longer magazine and has a center feed mag box)

The case capacity will exceed 130 grains on some of the improved versions, and the cases are strong
and easy to fire form because of the belt.

In my opinion, it is at its best with huge bullets.

J E CUSTOM

I dunno JE. I kinda like the idea of the Lapua case a bit better. I know the Weatherby has more "boiler room" but I'm not sure that a 375-338 lapua improved couldn't give it a run for its money with better and cheaper brass (without that awful belt too). The OAL would be shorter too with the Lapua case, not that I'm worried about that at all. I just think the Lapua case has alot to gain by improving it. Do you have a 378 weatherby? Thanks for the reply. I guess I have a decision on my hands now!

If someone (like Bertram) would make better, stronger 378 Weatherby brass it would really be a perfect fit in between 338 Lapua AI and 338 CheyTac-sized chamberings.

There is the 338 Raptor which could easily be necked up has similar if not a greater capacity than the 378 weatherby and has much stronger brass.

There is the 338 Raptor which could easily be necked up has similar if not a greater capacity than the 378 weatherby and has much stronger brass.

Kirby has mentioned via PM that sourcing brass is what is hindering the 338 Raptor from greater implementation/development.

No, can't say that I do.
My comment about the brass was based on what Kirby Allen had stated on his site about discontinuing chambering caliber because of brass issues.

Kirby may have or have had problems in the past. That does not mean it's real. Yes I respect Kirby's opinion but it is just that an opinion and you know the saying they are like.... everyone has on.

Fact: Norma/Nosler/Weatherby is all the same brass.

I've never had a problem with the brass. I have 257, 270, 7mm, 300 and now 338-378. Couple thousand hand loads and never had one piece rejected for reloading. I thing one 100 unit lot of 270 reached 14 reloads before the rifle became my 330 Edge.

I've never had any problems with brass, I've push them hard sometimes.

The only "difficulty" I've ever had was with a lot of 257 brass that I believe was from proof loads. Baught and learned how to use the collet die from Larry Willis at Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment and I now have enough to last a lifetime.

I dunno JE. I kinda like the idea of the Lapua case a bit better. I know the Weatherby has more "boiler room" but I'm not sure that a 375-338 lapua improved couldn't give it a run for its money with better and cheaper brass (without that awful belt too). The OAL would be shorter too with the Lapua case, not that I'm worried about that at all. I just think the Lapua case has alot to gain by improving it. Do you have a 378 weatherby? Thanks for the reply. I guess I have a decision on my hands now!

I agree with you about the Lapua, especially a improved version, but if you want to shoot 350 to 400 grain bullets case capacity is very important. and 15 to 20 gr more case capacity will make lots of difference especially if you want velocity without excessive pressures.

In the case of the belt, Some of my most accurate rifles are belted and for fire forming, it is the easiest because the belt does the head spacing and once the case has been fire formed, as long as you don't full size the case it is no longer a belted case (It head spaces on the shoulder).

I build both the Lapua and the 378+ Weatherby on Mark 5 actions because of the size and strength
of the action, So that is why I recommend it.

I would not want to talk you out of ether cartridges because they are both great and neither are proprietary and brass is available and if you stay within SAMMI pressures, both have good brass life.

Just saying

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts