Whats the worse most dangerous hunt you ever went on ?

I recalled a close call worth sharing. Something to think about. I was hunting in swamp land in Mississippi. Just small pools of water here and there, a couple inches deep. I was walking out, with a climbing tree stand, a 40 pound pack and my rifle. My toe caught on a root or something, and I fell straight forward, flat on my face. I studied Taekwondo and have pretty good falling technique, but it did me no good at all in this case. I landed in about an inch of water that helped break my fall. With all the weight I hit hard. I happened very fast, little time to react anyway. I lay there a few moments, assessing *** just happened, and whether I was injured. I seemed to be fine. I struggled onto my knees. Then I looked around, and there were Cyprus knees everywhere around me. Some over a foot tall. I was very familiar with them in general, but for some reason the thought of being impaled on one had never occurred to me, until right then. Something to pay attention to.

I had to wait a week to go get the gun and when I got there ,he was not around . His wife said I could pay her and she would give me a receipt and the shot gun . When she gave me the shot gun it was still in 3 pieces and all rusted , plus dented and dinged . I was not a happy camper and told her I hoped I would meet up with her husband again in the woods . End of story .

Wonders why game wardens aren't liked........... He could have at least dried and oiled your gun.. What a *****

Last edited:
Okay, have a new "most dangerous hunt" since my last post. Went over to Dillon MT for a gopher shoot with a friend. We were driving some of the mountain back roads doing a little scouting when I spotted a yote creeping around in an open area. My buddy was driving and stopped the truck over a 5 ft pipe that went under the dirt road we were on and over a good sized creek. I opened the back door to get the old .22-243 Middlestead when the part of the road I stepped on collapsed. I went backwards, ricocheted off a couple of very large (sharp) rocks, bounced off the drain pipe, and ended up face down in 2 feet of water. Went out like a light for a couple. Split my noggin open, (probably broke the rock) a had more scrapes and contusions than I care to recount. Nothing broke, (except the rock) and although pretty banged up, still shot gophers the next day. It's obvious at 73 that my ninja like reflexes are not what they used to be. The rifle landed in the soft dirt and managed to miss all the rocks---how's that for taking care of your equipement?? I never knew shooting gophers and yotes could be so dangerous!

Last edited:
WOW some really interesting stories. I guess being hunted by other humans for several weeks puts a different perspective on the word hunting for sure.
On one hunting trip to South Africa Jill and I were with our Guide and we were in a hilly area with thick trees and some small open areas. We saw a small herd of Zebra about 1/2 mile away. Our guide decides to have us Post under an old Papaya Tree. It was in very old overgrown Papaya Plantation and there was an area in front of us that was grasses about 4' tall. Our Guide said that he would drive around about 1 mile away and try to push the herd of Zebra toward us. We sat at the base of that Papaya waiting and finally heard the Guide shoot so Jill and I both got ready to see the Zebra herd come to us. A few minutes later we heard what sounded like several trains coming toward us breaking the trees then all of sudden the grasses in front of us open up like the Parting of the Seas. It was a herd of Wildebeests 30-40 of them running full speed right at us. The ground was shaking! I tried to cover Jill and we just hugged that tree trunk as the Beasts ran right alongside us with dirt and rocks flying up on us from the hooves kicking up the ground.
Our guide drove up about 20 minutes later and saw us covered with dirt and said "Why didn't you SHOOT"!

WOW some really interesting stories. I guess being hunted by other humans for several weeks puts a different perspective on the word hunting for sure.
On one hunting trip to South Africa Jill and I were with our Guide and we were in a hilly area with thick trees and some small open areas. We saw a small herd of Zebra about 1/2 mile away. Our guide decides to have us Post under an old Papaya Tree. It was in very old overgrown Papaya Plantation and there was an area in front of us that was grasses about 4' tall. Our Guide said that he would drive around about 1 mile away and try to push the herd of Zebra toward us. We sat at the base of that Papaya waiting and finally heard the Guide shoot so Jill and I both got ready to see the Zebra herd come to us. A few minutes later we heard what sounded like several trains coming toward us breaking the trees then all of sudden the grasses in front of us open up like the Parting of the Seas. It was a herd of Wildebeests 30-40 of them running full speed right at us. The ground was shaking! I tried to cover Jill and we just hugged that tree trunk as the Beasts ran right alongside us with dirt and rocks flying up on us from the hooves kicking up the ground.
Our guide drove up about 20 minutes later and saw us covered with dirt and said "Why didn't you SHOOT"!
Shoulda put Jill up the tree, then adapted and overcome to take the lead bull out of that bunch! Semper Fi ;) jking, good choice as they are fast, a little crazy and they are all too big to get trampled by.

Shoulda put Jill up the tree, then adapted and overcome to take the lead bull out of that bunch! Semper Fi ;) jking, good choice as they are fast, a little crazy and they are all too big to get trampled by.
Ever see an old run down Papaya Tree Plantation? If it could be climbed, I would be the first one up! :eek:Ever try shooting a stampede 30-40 Beasts with a Lead Bull (what's a lead Bull?) charging out of the forest and then through 4' + high grass in front of you like 30 mph?o_O
I still remember it like it was 5 minutes ago. Talk about being scared-didn't have time to be scared.
Semper Fi!

In critical situations:
1) Lack of preparedness causes fear.
2) Fear causes poor judgment.
3) Poor judgment causes mistakes.
4) Mistakes cause loss of life.

Read this in a survival handbook once and it stuck.
I wrote the BOOK! 🤞 🤣

Last edited:
My worse hunt was my first hunt in alaska a drop hunt and they didnt come back to get me .I was alone that was the biggest mistske .The guy with the flying service made a deal with my evil gf at the time to leace me for dead .She went through all my crredit cards while i was gone .I was left 40 miles away in the wilderness having never camped in the snow or had to deal with grizzly bears .I stayed 10 dayz hardly slept it was 0 tk 8 degreees and the bears were feeding for winter still and i about ended up in their tummirs .I had a borrowed sleeping bag that would only zip to my knress .The plane crashed into brush going in messed up wings .I camped in a place that every tree had grizzly bear clawing .I had water inside the tent and stuff floatimg around from water .I had bears come every night then finslly they decided to try to come inside the temt .I shot my 338 wm into yhe ground to scare them but they still kept agravisting me .I knew i couldnt keep goimg much longer .I knew a plane for someone else was comimg the 10 th day so i flagged him down .He couldnt take me back but called ffa to get me picked up .I bought a 416 rem mag after that for temt gun and tried not to gi by myself too much .I should have put that guy that left me in jail and that bad gf .She thought she was seeong a ghost when i got back .It took a while to realize she had set it up to rip me off .I just dusted off and stayed on alaska 12 years loved it .I never saw a moose that trip just giant caribou and lots of bears
Wow! That would make a great movie!
Not much danger in my hunting experiences. I live in Griz country but never been threatened by one.

Not just Alaska. Some of the Inuits hunt the great bears (the white ones) in Greenland with .22s and .223s since that is all they have and can afford/get ammo for. Once heard a story from a Force Recon Marine that did survival training there and their unit had an Inuit guide that carried a .22. Guide said "the .22 rifle had been in his family since the late 1800s". Marine LT asked "what it was used for?", Inuit said "anything including the Great Bears". Marine asked "how well it worked on the Polars?". Inuit said "if you shoot them up the nose, thru an eye or ear it works well. Marine asked "and if you miss?" Inuit with all honesty said "then the rifle goes to the next person in the family and this one has been handed along several times". That would have to be a scary hunt/situation.
" up the nose, thru an eye or ear..." Otherwise your polar bear food! Can you imagine trying to do that!?

Can remember vividly going into an alder thicket behind the house after a brown bear in a smoke house had been shot with an ar15. Wasn't feeling real good about the lethality of the 223, grandad was an original cwb in the village and had no problem volunteering me for the task when it was spotted going in behind our house. Boy that was a back of the neck hair raising experience, heard him push in front of me but lik never saw him. He pushed up a ridge that was open enough with grass and berry bushes, old timers that enlisted me to play bear bird dog hammered him in the open.

I was just grateful it was down and my role as bear bird dog was limited to about 10 minutes in thick alders with a wounded bear that was heard but not seen.

Can remember vividly going into an alder thicket behind the house after a brown bear in a smoke house had been shot with an ar15. Wasn't feeling real good about the lethality of the 223, grandad was an original cwb in the village and had no problem volunteering me for the task when it was spotted going in behind our house. Boy that was a back of the neck hair raising experience, heard him push in front of me but lik never saw him. He pushed up a ridge that was open enough with grass and berry bushes, old timers that enlisted me to play bear bird dog hammered him in the open.

I was just grateful it was down and my role as bear bird dog was limited to about 10 minutes in thick alders with a wounded bear that was heard but not seen.
I can imagine that was a longer then normal ten minutes 😂😂😂