The Most DISSAPOINTING Bullet there ever was...

without a doubt the are extremely accurate BUT in velocities 3000fps they are worthless for hunting..
Interesting. I use 165gr BT in my 308 NM @ 3300pfs. Taken 6 elk with that setup. 5, one shot kills, except for one. I got back to far when it was walking. Second round did the job. I use 200gr in my 338WM @ 3230fps, and one round generally does the job in Africa. Unless the shot wasn't placed correctly.

I'll second this one. They do shoot accurately but the tips get beat up and I'm not crazy about the on game performance. Oops. Meant to say Game Kings. I have never shot a Sierra Match King Bullet.
Match King bullet as well as any other match bullets are not intended to be used on game. They are target rounds and target rounds only, made for punching holes in paper. Do not expect spectacular performance on animals, and in most cases will cause unnecessary suffering as well as loss of game.

Match King bullet as well as any other match bullets are not intended to be used on game. They are target rounds and target rounds only, made for punching holes in paper. Do not expect spectacular performance on animals, and in most cases will cause unnecessary suffering as well as loss of game.
You missed my edit at the bottom of the post. I mistakenly thought it said Game Kings. I have never fired a Match King bullet. I'll admit I don't care much for Game King bullets. At least not the older lead tipped version.

Watch or saw 150 deer go down with 270, 130gr Sierra Bt over the years. Never saw a blood shot deer if I recall correctly. Those bullet when through them from all direction. I became aware during that time of just how bullet reacted, and damage done. I hunted in elk campa that we would have 20 or so elk down. I would look all of them over and ask abot what bullet they were using. I never said much about it to them. Other than a nice shot. I would see animals blood shot from one end to the other. That year I took a small bull from the rearend to the frontend. That was 165gr BT at about 90yds. So the elk took most of the velocity. It traveled from rear hind quarter to the front and stop at the hide. Other than just around the where the bullet when there hardly any bloodshot. Before I skinner it I was somewhat worried about bloodshot meat. Used that load in Africa a great many years after that. Same outcome. Only I felt I was a little under gun. Step up to my 338WM with 200gr Bt Nosler. I was four for four. Those shot were in the 25 to 45 yard range. So if a round was going to come apart, it would have been at that close range it max velocity. 165gr were 3300fps, and the 200gr were at 3230fps at muzzel.
Some drop in there tracks, and others walked 20 to 40 yrds and dropped. The largest animal was a black wildebeest.

Does a patched roundball in a flintlock count? 😂

A round ball depends on what the bullet is cast out of.

My brother bought some round balls for his 50 cal. Must have been cast out of wheel weights or battery recycle metal. He shot a doe, He had to track it, Jumped it up. He head shot it. When we was field dressing it, I grabbed a front leg to hold the deer, I felt a weird knot on the deer's lower leg. Cut it open and recovered the bullet, It could have been shot again. Down hill at an angel. Just a bullet size hole through lungs, Bullet slide under hide till it stopped.

I cast .54 cal. out of the purest lead I can find. I will even bang ingots together to find the softest lead. I only recovered 1 of my cast .54 cal. 220 gr. round ball from a deer. It was flatted till it looked like a stack of 3 or 4 quarters, DRT. All other deer I shot, Had good size holes in the off side.

When I cast bullets for my 32 cal. squirrel rifle, I will 50/50 pure lead/wheel weight. If not, A head shot, Will also destroy the shoulders.

You missed my edit at the bottom of the post. I mistakenly thought it said Game Kings. I have never fired a Match King bullet. I'll admit I don't care much for Game King bullets. At least not the older lead tipped version.
While Nosler bullets are my go to for both hunting and target shooting there have been times when Nosler's were not available and I had to resort to other bullets. In these cases I used both Sierra Match King and Game King bullets as substitutes. The Match King were direct replacements for Nosler match bullets, only minor changes in zero required between the two. When it came to hunting, the rifle zero's were close between the Nosler's and Sierra's but there is no match for the Partitions in the field. They are simply the best hunting bullet available across the board. The Game King is no match for the Partition, nothing is...but it did do the job when called upon. In the last 50+ years I have tried just about all the bullets that have been manufactured and touted as the best by their individual manufacturers. Few have lived up to their claims and there are many sitting collecting dust on my loading shelves. I will stick to my old standbys, Partitions and Match Grade bullets and if not available will revert to Sierra. They have proven themselves on the range and out in the field. It's hard to fight with success. :)

I use hornady almost exclusively these days. But I am mainly shooting hogs or whitetail doe on depredation permits. I use SSTs and eldm's in my Grendel with amazing results. The 6.5-06 gets 147 grain eldm's. On deer they are caliber in/ golf ball to tennis ball out. They do a great job. In 308 I use 150 Accubonds, 168 Amax, and 168 eldm. They all do an amazing job. Most of my shooting for depredation is done at extended ranges so I tend to use high BC offerings. If I had to pick just one type of bullet for what I do, it would be the eldm in heavy for caliber offerings. That bullet is absolutely deadly.

Nosler Custom Competition in .223, 6mm , and 6.5.
I’ve burned way too much powder trying to get these to shoot accurately in five different rifles and a good friend has tried them in at least four different rifles.
Ordinary cup & core hunting bullets from Speer and Hornady are more accurate in our rifles than these things.

Ed

In an older Hornady manual it stated that their A-Max (match) bullets were, in fact, recommended for light skinned big game animals. I found that their 162gr A-Max bullet would drop a whitetail faster than any other bullet. I used them for several years with exceptional success; they're accurate and deadly.

Last edited:
In an older Hornady manual it stated that their A-Max (match) bullets were, in fact, recommended for light skinned big game animals. I found that their 162gr A-Max bullet would dop a whitetail faster than any other bullet. I used them for several years with exceptional success; they're accurate and deadly.
Many swear by the eld-m for hunting. No personal experience with them yet but may give them a try this year on whitetail.