30-06 or AI
300WinMag
300SAUM
300PRC
300WSM
300RUM
338's
There are many more.

All of these will do the job if you are up for it. My choice is the 270 WSM, 300 WSM, 7MM Rem Mag, and the 300WM. I use my 7mm-08 for short-range shots to 400 yards and closer. But after that, I go to one of my rifles above.
I would say find one you like and practice a lot using a good bullet that will also do the job. Don't forget a good scope for the task as well.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
The 300 Wby had done very well over the years in 1,000 yard benchrest matches.

This is a Easy Button for me just because I have been down this road !
My first choice would be the" 300 Rum" you can run , 150 , 180 , 190, 200 , 210 , 212 , 215 , 225 , 230 gr and with the right twist 1/9 the 245 gr . Even a standard magnum or a Carbon barrel with a good break is easy to shoot .
My second choice would be the 338 Rum and either the 250 gr or up to 300 gr bullet.
The 338 class rifles , 338 Rum , 338 Edge , 338 Papua just work on game at that distance plus . If you can do your part !!

Good Luck on your choice !

Rum Man

The magic answer for me has been .300 Win in a 21" barrel and a TB Ultra 5 suppressor. I wouldn't deliberately take a shot at 1000 on elk, but I wouldn't hesitate to clean up a wounded one at that range. Elk are big, which is both good and bad. Mostly good, as the vital zone is pretty large. My personal comfort zone goes out to maybe 500-600 on deer and 600-700 on elk, depending on wind, conditions, etc.

I'm gaining a little confidence with long-range hunting with five or six successful hunts now shooting between 500-700 yards - no screwups so far. If you're going to have a steady diet of elk hunting, I'd be in the .300 something range. If you're looking for a deer rig capable of killing elk, I'd be in the .280 AI neighborhood.

Something you like to shoot and will practice with to 1000 yards REGULARLY is important. Most of the .300s aren't that much fun to shoot repeatedly. As others have said, 1000 is tough, probably twice as hard as being proficient at 800.

1,000 yards is a poke for sure and everything has to be perfect to decide to take a shot and there is no room for error. As it has been said here several times elk are hard to kill and the myth of flop and drop doesn't happen very often in real life maybe on tv where it can be edited. Over the years I've killed my share and watched lots of elk taken by others with many calibers from 243win - 378Weatherby. In my opinion the 30 caliber mags seem to work the best if the shooter can handle the recoil and muzzle blast, braked or not. With todays hunting pressure and most of us hunting on public ground I use the biggest caliber that I can shoot efficently. The 338 Rum with Speer 250 gr. bullets is my personal choice . On public ground in Washington State if you shot a elk at 600 yds. when you got to it someone else would likely have their tag on it . At 1,000yds. they'd be headed towards the truck with their buddies.

I had one, but could never get the velocity out of it I wanted. Shooting 250 bergers it basically matched my 308 for trajectory.
I use a slow burner my gun shop owner/hunter suggested, 300 hybrid Bergers, forget the velocity and powder names. But they shoot repeatably, and always hit where the crosshairs intersect.
No pressure spikes except once.
I left the cartridges in the sun, while shooting near the Yuma Proving Grounds.
Smoke escaping from everywhere, barrel jumped up a foot or two, I sat there holding my rifle, and began to count fingers and check the side of my face.
My son was with me. His eyes were big, real big.
That rifle was done for that day. When I figured out why, I used it again. My .338LM cartridges are attached to my belly. No more high pressures unless I need them.

Last edited: